Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

The newly freeware Garmins are bug-ridden monsters

Guest cw1011

With all due respect, with Microsoft announcing that they would be including a complete Garmin in the next version of FS, this product ceased to have any commercial value. It happens all the time. I paid for FS Flightmax and am happy I did. I find it a very useful instrument for my airline flights because of its weather radar and the traffic screen. I have no hard feelings for the developers - they did what any sensible business person would. I am happy to have supported their hard work.Colin

>What the heck has happened to class>in our community? Or maybe I should broaden that to our>society. Even in the late 70's when I was a young adult, it>was considered quite inappropriate to complain about any free>handout. Yet that seems to be OK here? Sad day for our>community and society when that happens, and yes, it goes to>the maturity of those doing the complaining. Maybe when>they've lived through as many wars, recessions, and just plain>hard times as some of us have, they'll begin to have a clue as>to what I'm talking about.>LOL- Class? Heck that went out with smoking rights years ago!! :-waveOf course not to offend any or everyone by saying NO ONE has class- just being "sarcastic".Yah, I agree this thread should have been locked from the get go. I smelled trouble as soon as I saw the initial post!

ahh- not trying to create any more scars or problems- just thought I would post this as help for "future" purchases for you and others:You commented: "Don't these people deserve ongoing support even if the product itself is now being distributed as freeware"If you would have pruchased this product and read the eula, chances are (although I don't know because I did not buy it) that within that eula it states they will have absolutely no guarantee of future support for the product nor guarantee upgrades, etc.I learned the hard way when a certain company released aircraft for the original Fly! product, then of course had to redesign and re-sell the new same "redesigned" aircraft for Fly2...when the original would not work at all in Fly2, they would not even think about patching it to work. That's their right. Just part of great USA economics 101.

Guest SoarPics

Desert Rat,If indeed you are an engineer, you would approach your problems with a more scientific mind. Yet you continue to refuse to offer any specific conditions, descriptions, system specs, etc. to allow others here to assist you.Clearly, your reason for starting this thread was to do nothing else but bash. Kindly take your bashing elsewhere.And in the future, should you have any problems with a download (freeware or payware) don't be surprised if folks here don't run to your assistance.Now we can lock this thread down. Not serving any useful purpose.Regards,

"Folks just don't give away stuff for free out of the goodness of their hearts, that ain't how the world works."Really? That'll come as a great shock to a vast community of programmers around the world (including the programmers of the vast free collection right here in our community - you've been to the library here, right?)... To think, free software programmers worldwide haven't been following how "your world" works all this time.Thank heaven!A recent case study into a world you can't seem to fathom might be helpful: http://www.turbopower.comOne of the most successful Delphi component vendors ever. This happens quite often in "our" world, however.Not a rant, just an observation (and enlightenment, I hope)...Take care,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

hi,I think they are buggy for some including me but Im not really pointingthe finger just at the software but at myself for not upgrading my OS.... I think most of the people suffering from freezes from Fsgarmin or flightmax have windows me or 98. I think Ill enjoy these two when I finally upgrade to XP or 2000 in about a month.Andrew

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi E,in essence, as far as the GPS functions go, both solutions are using the Garmin Trainer program as a background helper application. As such, both the freeware and the Reality XP garmin looks the same (at least from the screen perspective ), provides the same database, the same menus, the same functions.They differ in their implementation though and a number of functions, user interface, panel integration and virtual cockpit implementation, TCAS and a couple others to name a few.Worth mentioning, the Reality XP Garmin GPSS (autopilot integration) works per Garmin specs and turn anticipate, takes in account the cross wind and flies DME arcs.Hope this helps!