Sign in to follow this  
Guest Curtalden

Help Needed - Can't Disable Ground Shadows

Guest Curtalden

I have FS9 on Windows XP with Ground Environment Pro and Active Weather 6 as add-ons. Recently, I tried to disable ground shadows, which were continuously displayed - even in overcast conditions. However, when I unchecked the "Ground Scenery Casts Shadows" box in Display Settings and restarted FS9, nothing changed - I was still getting ground shadows even though the ground shadows box was unchecked. I wonder if the GE Pro or AWv6 add-ons have any involvement in this problem. Can anyone give me some ideas how I can disable the shadows? Thanks!

I have FS9 on Windows XP with Ground Environment Pro and Active Weather 6 as add-ons. Recently, I tried to disable ground shadows, which were continuously displayed - even in overcast conditions. However, when I unchecked the "Ground Scenery Casts Shadows" box in Display Settings and restarted FS9, nothing changed - I was still getting ground shadows even though the ground shadows box was unchecked. I wonder if the GE Pro or AWv6 add-ons have any involvement in this problem. Can anyone give me some ideas how I can disable the shadows? Thanks!
I suspect the addons may be interferring with this option.However you can take a look at your FS9.cfg file and possibly make an edit there.There should be the following line under the [GRAPHICS] labelGROUND_SHADOWS=0The value of 0 (zero) would have it turned off and a 1 would turn it on.Use Notepad to open andedit your FS9.cfg file - and be sure FS is not running or the edits will not be saved.Hope that helps. :(

Guest Curtalden
I suspect the addons may be interferring with this option.However you can take a look at your FS9.cfg file and possibly make an edit there.There should be the following line under the [GRAPHICS] labelGROUND_SHADOWS=0The value of 0 (zero) would have it turned off and a 1 would turn it on.Use Notepad to open andedit your FS9.cfg file - and be sure FS is not running or the edits will not be saved.Hope that helps. :(
Thanks Opa! I checked the config file, and it shows ground shadows as "0". For some reason, that's not getting through to FS when its running (???). I think you're right, its probably the add-on scenery applications. I'll keep investigating, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hi,You are aware that this setting has nothing to do with aircraft shadows?

Tom is quite correct -The line you should check in the FS9.cfg file is:AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1 (or 0)not GROUND_SHADOWS=0 (or 1)My error - twenty lashes with a wet flightpan! :(

Hello,Methink OPA answered correct in his first answer as the OP asked about ground shadows and not aircraft shadow :)Here a related topic from a other place:http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/post....amp;FORUM_ID=16Regards.bye.gif
Now I am confused - but then I am in that state rather often.Perhaps the OP will clarify if he really meant aircraft shadows or ground shadows. :(

Does everyone know that there is a gauge (toggle switch) that you can add to your panel that will turn OFF and ON the aircraft shadows? I think I got it from the Avsim Library, anyway I have it if anyone wants it. I don't like to take off on a cloudy day with a bright shadow under my aircraft so I just flip the switch until the sun comes out again. jerrycwo4

Does everyone know that there is a gauge (toggle switch) that you can add to your panel that will turn OFF and ON the aircraft shadows? I think I got it from the Avsim Library, anyway I have it if anyone wants it. I don't like to take off on a cloudy day with a bright shadow under my aircraft so I just flip the switch until the sun comes out again. jerrycwo4
I would like to see it -Can you send a regular e-mail with it attached?opaflightsimaddict at verizon dot netThanks in advance.