Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Considering Graphics Upgrade

Hi all, I'm considering a new graphics card and am looking at either the new GT250 which replaces the 9800GTX+(which replaced the 8800GT) or perhaps a GTX 260. I am currently using a 7950 GT OC and the only problem I ever have are pauses and stutters in fog close to landing (when using the LD767). Will I see a major difference with either of the 2 cards? I have a 620W Corsair Power Supply and am concerned if that's enough to handle either of the two cards. I currently use FSX in 1680 x 1050 resolution. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Craig

If flight sim is your only GPU-intensive workload, go with the GTS 250. Otherwise the GTX 260 is a much faster card all-around.

If flight sim is your only GPU-intensive workload, go with the GTS 250. Otherwise the GTX 260 is a much faster card all-around.
Since memory bandwidth matters for FSX, (112 GB/s over 70 is a 50% improvement for the 260 over the 250) you should noticea difference in FSX on a fast system. This is what made the 8800 Ultra king, back in the 8000 days.

Bert

I have run the 8800gt and the GTX260 in my rig. There is not a huge difference, but it is there. I think the 260 is smoother.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Since memory bandwidth matters for FSX, (112 GB/s over 70 is a 50% improvement for the 260 over the 250) you should noticea difference in FSX on a fast system. This is what made the 8800 Ultra king, back in the 8000 days.
There are caveats to the importance of memory bandwidth, chief among them being resolution. The 1680x1050 resolution the OP runs is not high enough to supercede the capabilities of a GTS 250's memory bus. Not unless the OP intends on running some absurd amounts of AA anyway.
I have run the 8800gt and the GTX260 in my rig. There is not a huge difference, but it is there. I think the 260 is smoother.Bob
I recently upgraded from an 8800 GT to a GTX 285 and observed no practical difference in FSX performance. Smoothness is of course subjective however.