Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patron7

Download Dilemma

Guest Patron7

I sincerely need your help. After many weeks of trying to change my computer settings to allow downloads from the library, I still can't download. I've had excellent advise from both Clint Wade and Matt Johnson - all to no avail. Clint has recommended, as a last resort, that I throw the problem up on the forum. I use DSL (with a hardware router/firewall), MSN Premium, Windows XP Pro, Norton Internet Security, and both IE and Firefox browsers. I also use "Spy-Bot" anti-sptware, but it only scans when I ask.I have registered and can successfully log into the library (I am shown by both name and password as logged in). I can search for, locate and click the Download Button (on, for example, tbhal.zip). I can also click ZipLive and review the file contents.I have put "http://www.avsim.com", "http://www.avsim.net", "http://library.avsim.net" and "http://forums.avsim.net" into my IE trusted sites. When I get into the library and am at the point of downloading, my lower right hand corner shows "Trusted Site". I unchecked "require server verification".I have not been able to find a corresponding place in Firefox to designate the four AVSIM addresses as trusted sites, or lower any security settings.To eliminate problems with Norton's Internet Security, I am: 1/ turning off "Security" (disables the s/w firewall and the Intrusion Detection) 2/ turning off: Anti-spam, Ad Blocking and Pop-up Blocker.This only leaves Anti-virus on (which I am assured won't effect downloads if they are virus free). * ANYONE USING THE LIBRARY WHO ALSO HAS NORTON INTERNET SECURITY INSTALLED - PLEASE CONTACT ME, ON OR OFF FORUM, SO THAT I CAN ENSURE THAT I'M NOT MISSING SOMETHING HERE!In IE I lower security settings: 1/ IE>tools>internet options>privacy: lower the slider (accept all cokies) and select the Advanced Button (not the tab) and override automatic cookie handling (accepts 1st and 3rd party cookies). 2/ IE>tools>internet options> advanced: check the box "use passive FTP".I avoid MSN settings by going directly to my browsers.What Happens: 1/ When I click "Downloads" using Mozilla's Firefox - the next screen says "AVSIM Downloads", and them "Done" appears on the lower right, the increments bar goes 4 1/2 units to the right, freezes - and then I get an Alert "An operation timed out when attempting to contact the library.avsim.net". 2/ When I click "Downloads" using IE - the same screen appears, then "Done", the increments bar moves the same, freezes, and I get an Alert "Action Cancelled. IE was unable to link to the web page you requested".Clint Wade also had me try right clicking the Download Button (in IE) and selecting "Save Target As". I then indicate "Save In" FS Downloads, and I type "tbhal.zip" in the file name slot. I select either of the options for "Save As Type". I click "Save". I hear a bell sound and a Zipped (but only 4 kb)"tbhal.zip" file appears in my FS Downloads file. When I highlight the WinZip Icon, I get "no zip file, bad zip file or part of a spanned zip file".I can successfully download from other sites (ex: Golden Eagles Squadron or World Serious Pilots) by merely turning off Norton's s/w firewall.You are my last resort in solving this problem. It is extremely frustrating to want and need a number of files in the library - and KNOW that my problem is something simple. What am I overlooking here? HELP!Bill Mackay

Guest Matt Johnson

This definitely appears to be a firewall or port forwarding issue. I'm tempted to start asking awkward questions about the DSL router. If it is NAT-ing you, try seeing what happens if you put your machine into the DMZ (if it allows you to do so). I am rapidly starting to suspect a highly deficient router -- what model is it?--M

Guest Patron7

Matt,My "USB/Ethernet DSL Modum with Routing Capabilities" is Actiontec's model# GT701. I don't understand NAT-ing or putting my machine into the DMZ. You are dealing with a very basic guy (read DSL for dummies). But if you give me another explanation - so I can get the gist of it, I'll go to some of my much more knowledgible buddies. Bill

Guest dbroadie

I am also having exactly the same problem. I am using Firefox and have not been able to download for two weeks.

Guest dbroadie

I just went out to my DSL Modem using my browser to http://192.168.1.1 which is the normal address for setting DSL modems. My firewall was set to medium under the firewall configuration. When I moved it to none, I was able to download all the files that I needed. (I then went back in and reset my modem)If you have your modem firewall on and your XP firewall on, it will cause you no end of problems. The XP firewall is automaticly turned on when you download service pack 2.I hope this helps someone out there.

Guest Patron7

Doug and Matt:Thanks to your help I've just successfully downloaded from AVSIM for the first time (but certainly not the last). The secret was indeed finding the firewall security setting on my DSL h/w modum. In my case I found that I had to put 192.168.0.1 in my Firefox browser and then go to sdvanced setup to get to the firewall selections. Also (Matt for those who have this problem in the future), Firefox DOES have both Trusted Address and a place to stop blocking Popup windows. Firefox>tools>options.Thanks so much for both your help.