Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Callmecapt

Gotta love the copycats

Well, I wrote my first tutorial for the RFP 747-200 a while back and it was downloaded by quite a few people. Then I finish and release my new long haul tutorial with charts and in depth step by step instructions. That was a few weeks ago.NOW, CLS have released a tutorial for their 747-200 (if that's what you can call it) with charts for the flight and a brief history of the 747-200.Why couldn't they release the tutorial at the same time as the 747-200? Makes me wonder. I'm losing more and more respect for that company. Goran

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think that they appropriately refer to this as a "lite" version. I'm not sure that the E33 price qualifies for that distinction, but to tell the truth I have not seen the product and most likely will not.

I don't necesarily think it is a copycat job, although you may choose to flatter yourself and regard otherwise. You may be right to do so, but I suspect it's far more likely that the tutorial is a response to the CLS 747 having recently got a large amount of PR via an Avsim review, just a few days ago in fact. There is already a tutorial in the CLS 747 documentation in any case, so it's hardly a unique idea. Usually when a review increases sales, enquiries for technical support also increase, so it's quite timely for them to do a new tutorial for customers who are new to the product. I'd be more inclined to disrespect a company that doesn't cater for that kind of thing, so I see it as a plus point to be fair to CLS. Incidentally, if you buy the CLS 747 from JustFlight rather than CLS, it'll only cost you 20, which I think is a more realistic price for what you are getting. I actually blew some of my JustFlight loyalty points for it and only paid 14, which makes it a bit of a bargain. It's not about to change the world as far as FS add-ons go, but it is a nice thing and quite good fun if you are not in mood for a PMDG-style 'everything including the ashtrays' type of FS add-on.It has a lot of plus points and is only 'lite' in the sense that it removes many of the things the Captain would not be dealing with whilst the real thing has two other people on the flight deck to assist with operations. So you could choose to regard that as actually more realistic in some ways, and it is a good compromise between the default FS 747 and the fancier more expensive add-ons. After all, there are far more simmers out there who are not bothered what the oil level in the APU lubrication reservoir is, than there are those who actually want all that info, and it's those people, and their money, who make Flight Simulator a viable proposition in terms of develoment and sales.I have the PMDG 747, the iFly 747 and yet still bought the CLS 747, there's room for it in every hangar considering the price, and that it works in FS9 and FSX.Al

I think that you miss the point of the discussion which is that Ready for Pushback, which was originally released for FS2002 and then significantly re-worked and updated for FS2004, still holds its own with a lot of later add-ons. And, it's now freeware. Given its ability to model systems, particularly in terms of its age, it's still a very good way to learn the basics of managing a large, complex aircraft on a long flight.I notice that you don't seem to have RFP, perhaps if you tried it you might appreciate that the Old Girl still has her charms.No serious criticism of the newer add-on was intended, just making a couple of observations.

I think that you miss the point of the discussion which is that Ready for Pushback, which was originally released for FS2002 and then significantly re-worked and updated for FS2004, still holds its own with a lot of later add-ons. And, it's now freeware. Given its ability to model systems, particularly in terms of its age, it's still a very good way to learn the basics of managing a large, complex aircraft on a long flight.
I've not missed any point: The title of the thread is 'Gotta love the copycats' and that's the accusation leveled at the developer, there's not much room for ambiguity when you read that and content of the original post.My comment was merely a response to that complaint and also addressed the subsequent comment about the CLS 747 being 'lite' and somewhat expensive. Since I've got the CLS 747 and am aware that the tutorial release was probably because of its recent exposure on Avsim, and because I didn't pay a lot for it, I thought I'd respond to both points. Incidentally, I bought the RFP 747 in a boxed version a few years ago, so I actually do have that one too and I know it is very good, it's just not on my system at the moment, in fact there aren't many 747 add-ons I haven't bought, going right back to the old Data Becker Lufthansa 747-200 for FS 95/98, which was also really great. But nobody accused the RFP being a copycat of that one! :( Al

I should have detailed it a bit more.Ok, when CLS first released their 747, I was eager to see if they could emulate the RFP version. Lite isn't the word. Wasn't going to bother with it.2nd, I did get an email from someone connected to CLS after I uploaded the tutorial. No details, but let's just say it was tutorial related.Goran