Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

How do you get "dynamic wing views" in MelJet 777?

Do I need to edit something in the cfg file or some such thing to look out the window and see the trailing edge flaps in this amazing a/c? I get engine views from the virtual cockpit but I don't get the glorious over-wing or rear wing views and cannot figure out how to get them. Appreciate any advice, thanks!JS

There are two ways to do it--I'll share the way I know, and I'm sure the other method (via the panel.cfg) will be shared by someone else.In my case, I open the aircraft.cfg, and do a search for the line beginning with "eyepoint". I then comment out the line (by placing a "//" in front of it), and then copy it to make an identical entry below. I remove the slashes from the second entry. I then adjust the first number--this adjusts the fore/aft value from the COG, where the eyepoint will be situated. I usually take it to -20-25, which takes you behind the wing on most aircraft.The drawback to this is when taxing the aircraft to the gate, as your cockput view will be shifted back. There is another method of adjusting the panel.cfg where the eyepoint is adjusted for just the left and right views, and as I said, I'm sure someone will post it. But for a quick result, try my method. When you want to shift back to cockpit view, just comment your copied line and uncomment your first line.-John

John:Thanks for the info. I may try it although it seems complex.These wing views are exciting but perplexing. There are many alluring wing view shots these days, but it seems everything needs to be edited in (or out) and is not available by default. Too bad.Anyway, thanks again.JS

You have to understand the concept behind the wing views. They are part of the model, which is usually flown from the perspective of the pilot. I count our community lucky that aircraft designers are including them now, but they can't cater to every taste when deciding from what perspective the view is seen from. So they do what seems logical to me--they set up the view from the pilot perspective and leave it to the user to change the view.There should be nothing complex about changing the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg. If you don't want to go through the trouble of commenting it out, just write down the first number (in case you want to change it back), then change it and save the .cfg file. You can open up the config file in notepad.-JOhn

Guest RobK

The easiest way to change your viewpoint in the VC is to use Active Camera which you can download from here. http://www.anticyclone.be/Active Camera allows you to move around in the VC by using the 2, 4, 6, and 8 keys on the numeric keypad without any limits on how far you can move. Much easier than editing numbers in a .cfg file. Rob

Actually, I found Active Camera more of a hassle, and it sometimes produced an odd graphics anomaly as well. It's great for taking shots of the aircraft while on the ground, but I found in flight v/c movement not worth the odd graphics issues that would crop up. For me, editing a view in notepad takes seconds. It's not rocket science.

Rob:Thanks. Didn't think of that. Might try that.JS

Guest racartron

Hmmm, never had any graphics problems with Activecam while in flight. Except those early adventures where I tried to switch on the external view which the developers specifically told me not to do. Otherwise. Activecam allows me the freedom to "freely move about the cabin" and flight deck as I please with absolutely zero problems or dimensional restraints.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

It's very simple. First make sure your eyepoint in your aircraft.cfg is the default:eyepoint = 90.0, -2.65, 2.25Then copy the following lines to view section of your panel.cfg:VIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_WINDOWS=39 // RIGHT WING VIEWVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_DIR=0.0, 0.0, 90//VIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_EYE=0.0, -1.38,-12.57 // Adjust last value to move fore and aftVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_EYE=0.0, -0.25,-31.47 VIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_WINDOWS=40 // LEFT WING VIEWVIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_DIR=0.0, 0.0, 270//VIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_EYE=0.0, -1.33, -12.73 // Adjust last value to move fore and aftVIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_EYE=0.0, -0.25, -31.60 VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_WINDOWS=41 // SEAT VIEWVIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_DIR=9.0, 0.0, 230//VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_EYE=-1.80, -0.10, -7.49 // Adjust last value to move fore and aft VIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_EYE=-1.80, -0.10, -9.49 VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_WINDOWS=42 // SEAT VIEWVIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_DIR=9.0, 0.0, 127//VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_EYE=3.0, -0.10, -7.49 // Adjust last value to move fore and aft VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_EYE=3.0, -0.10, -9.49 You can access these views with ctrl+shift+1, ctrl+shift+7, ctrl+shift+9 and ctrl+shift+3.You can then assign these views to the 4 buttons at the base of your joystick for easy access. This is the same principle I used for my Ariane/DF merge.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Thanks Lee...that's the post I was hoping someone would add....-John

Lee:You are brilliant, man -- and you are here too ![is this ONLY for the MelJet 777 or will it work in other a/c I fly ?]Thanks, mate.JS

Thanks guys! Actually, I am extrapolating the same principle to the FFX 737 and 727, the Posky 747-400 and the newly updated Harald Nehring A310. All have the same potential wing and engine views. Kind of cool this G-Max stuff!To be honest, the idea came from Dreamfleet. I tried to figure out how they got to that side wing view and seat view. I discovered that the lines in the panel.cfg did the trick. MS had made the views available to all of us but never took advantage of it. One thing led to another.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Rob:I installed Active Camera 1.3 and it worked fine in some ways but less fine in others. Moving around in the cabin and trying to get the wing and engine views I wanted was confusing and eventually AC just started moving around spontaneously and I could find no way to stop it ! There are some very trippy graphics in External View that the developer is aware of and I saw those too.Well, we live and learn, I guess. Time to do some .cfg file edits..JS