Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobA

problems with adding scenery

Guest gooper

I am having a strange problem with add on scneries. what is happening is that with some scneries i add through the scenery library when i go back to a certain airport the scenery no longer shows up and when i check the scenery library it is no longer listed so i have to add it again-does anyone know what causes this and how it can be fixed??

did it actually show before or is it not showing after you enable it in the scenery library? If the later, make sure you have the scenery and texture folders showing when you click to enable it, sometimes when you d/l a scenery and then unzip it, it will have another layer of folder to go through before it will be enabled. If this isn't the case try to store it outside of the FS folder (good option anyway)hope this helpsRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi there,it looks like you may have exceeded the maximum number of scenery areas/layers - I think it's 335. Check your scenery.cfg for the number of layers you have installed. If it's at the maximum, you'll have to delete some areas or combine them, otherwise you'll have to enable additional areas before each FS session.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest Lindy

..... It appears I may have also reached that "magic" limit for scenery addons. I try to consolidate/combine areas from the same developer whenever I can. I have all the BFU sceneries together, the ABC sceneries, Fica's add ons, etc. Last night I was in the process of consolidating Bill Melichar's Hawaii sceneries together and was inserting the exclude/flatten switches that he has for some of his airports. As I was pasting a switch, I got an "out of memory" message and Notepad wouldn't accept the line. I tried typing it in manually, but got the same message. I figure this must be what happens when you have too many scenery areas. :-( Gosta, you mentioned deleting areas...........is it possible to delete some of the default scenery areas that I KNOW I will never fly in - such as Greenland, Siberia, Antarctica, places like that? Doing that should give me some space. I have a mess of default areas DISABLED through the Scenery Library, but I haven't actually deleted any of them because I wasn't sure it was a good idea.-Lindy :-rotor :-smooch

<<<>>>That's a separate issue, I think, Lindy. The max for scenery layers in FS2002 - in my experience - is 331, after which FS won't recognise new entries. Like you, I have consolidated a lot and have about 800 entries successfully installed. Whether or not you can edit files beyond a certain size depends on your own computer configuration.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. 800 entries ... even if I fly two airports a day that would take more than a year just to get around the add-ons. I knew it ... I need a life. Or, maybe this is my life.http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

The fact that there should be a limit to the number of scenery areas in FS2002 is a something of a myth. I currently have 359 scenery areas installed, quite a bit more than the 'magical' 332 limit, and they are all 'there'. It is true though that in the scenery library menu only 332 show up. The 'trick' I use, is to install new sceneries with a utility which comes with FS Navigator, FSNavDBC. This utility doesn't have the limitation of scenery areas, and merrily keeps adding them. The installation process is very straightforward. Using it ensures that the new scenery entry is added to your scenery.cfg with all the right parameters. Deleting an area and saving it to FS2002 is just as easy. The utility corrects all the scenery area numbers to the new values. It might be that adding a scenery area manually to your scenery.cfg works just as well. I suspect there's something wrong with the entry of your new scenery in scenery.cfg.Paul

Guest Captain Barfbag

I don't think that's the problem with the original post, though.I've seen this too, just last night as a matter of fact, and I'm not anywhere near 300 sceneries. I was flying from the newly-installed St. Johns, Newfoundland, to Halifax, which I'd installed and flown out of a month or so ago. I know I never de-activated Halifax, but when I got there all I could see was the default stuff. The files were all still there, but not activated. I was able to activate it and the scenery was just fine, but why it went away is a mystery.I've seen this at other times, but I always assumed I had done something dumb and turned the scenery off myself. Now, I'm suspicious that enabling one scenery may occasionally disable another. Another possibility is "auto-installer" sceneries which have done other weird stuff to me, like trashing my keyboard command file.

I too had this problem once or twice when installing scenery files OUTSIDE the FS2002 folder. It seemed to go away when I followed this procedure:Unzip the files into a directory of your choice.activate the scenery in FS2002go to the area you have just activatedSave a flight situation at a position within your new scenery area and make it default.Quit Fs2002Restart FS2002Now the scenery indexes should be recompiled immediately.As I said I am not sure this does cure the problem or is indeed the solution for it, neither if the procedure has too many steps in it or some that are not necessary.Happy flying Ralph Hummel Staff Reviewer AVSIM Online

Hi Lindy,>>Gosta, you mentioned deleting areas...........is it possible to delete some of the default scenery areas that I KNOW I will never fly in - such as Greenland, Siberia, Antarctica, places like that? Doing that should give me some space. I have a mess of default areas DISABLED through the Scenery Library, but I haven't actually deleted any of them because I wasn't sure it was a good idea:).Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest RobA

Lindy, Your first problem is not related to the scenery cfg. I've seen this before on my system. System related and not fs related. I solved the scenery.cfg problem for myself by having multiple copies of scenery.cfg. Each in their own folder in fs, I just copy/paste the scenery.cfg I want to use into the main FS folder. I use the barebones, default scenery.cfg for the template and just add the sceneries that I will be flying into. I have one for Alaska, one for the Caribbean, etc. I've never seen the limit doing it this way. :-)Best, Rob