Sign in to follow this  
mfy1989

Time of weather and flight time

Hi all,I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with this as there is a large cloud of confusion in my mind that's bugging me a little!I have AS6.5, which I've been happily using for some time now and am very pleased with. However, what is causing me a problem is that I run AS during my flight planning phase, when I'm getting all the preflight paperwork together. With loading calculations, fuel figures and performance calculations, all of this can often take me about half an hour. What happens if, in the time it's taken me to get everything ready, the weather has changed completely? Presumably when I import my flightplan into AS, the weather report I get is a snapshot of what's going on at that particular moment in time. So my fuel figures and trim settings will be based on a wind component and QNH that may not be correct by the time I push back. Have I missed the point somewhere, or is there a way round this?If someone can advise I'd be very grateful! I'm sure I'm just being dim :)Many thanks,Tim

Hi Tim,Some of this happens in real-life as well! During planning the conditions do sometimes change and adjustments need to be made.This is especially true on long distance flights. The flight crew is up front constantly getting updated information and making adjustments.On short to mid range flights, the changes should not be all that great, unless we talking about a fast moving storm that moves in and out of an area.I hope this helps.Thanks,

Thanks Jim, yes that is really helpful, many thanks. At the moment I'm only flying short hops in the A320 so the weather shifts aren't significant. Cheers again for the help,Tim