Sign in to follow this  
michaelohalloran

DirectX 10 Question, Please help.

Hello all, i have just heard about this DirectX 10 with FSX, It seems my card has it and DX10 is installed.My question is on FSX in settings it says Prewview Direct X 10.. Is this just a temp preview of it working or is this actually activating it on FSX? How do i actually enable it so it will work all the time with FSX? I maybe mistaken and that maybe the actual option.. I appriciate any responces.

Guest UlfB

Michael,So you run Vista (or Windows 7), which is required if you want to use DX10.If you check the DX10 preview checkbox in FSX, you have to quit and restart FSX before FSX uses DX10. The support for DX10 in FSX is very limited, that's why it's called preview. But if you turn it on, it will remain on until you turn it off. Some get better performance with DX10 and other prefer DX9. I only fly in DX9 mode.

I see, well i did that yes, When i restarted FSX and selected my addon aircraft the textures to the plane never showed? Is this a problem with DX10? However they do show if i select the default FSX aircraft, Another question is how do i run the flight sim with Direct X 9?

I see, well i did that yes, When i restarted FSX and selected my addon aircraft the textures to the plane never showed? Is this a problem with DX10? However they do show if i select the default FSX aircraft,
This happens if the aircraft you use are not 'true' FSX aircraft, for example, a model that was made for FS2004, and ported across to FSX, using BMP instead of DDS textures.
Another question is how do i run the flight sim with Direct X 9?
As soon as you untick the DX10 Preview in FSX, you are running the sim in DX9 mode.

As soon as you untick the DX10 Preview in FSX, you are running the sim in DX9 mode.
Well, you do have to restart FSX again of course... ;)

Guest pete1_leeds

dont waste your time clicking on the dx10 preview button and restarting FSX, you will never get that time back.. you have been warned.. do something more useful with your time perhaps send your loved one a text or somethingremember the 'artists impression' of FSX and DX10?0000000484%38%30.jpgunfortunately even bills super cloud server running FS11(beta) and DX10 aint getting results like that :(

dont waste your time clicking on the dx10 preview button and restarting FSX, you will never get that time back.. you have been warned.. do something more useful with your time perhaps send your loved one a text or somethingremember the 'artists impression' of FSX and DX10?unfortunately even bills super cloud server running FS11(beta) and DX10 aint getting results like that :(
The same old story again and again....I will never fly in Dx9 anymore.Despite some known bugs Dx10 runs a lot better, with no blurries, no micro pauses and with a much better visual quality.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

The same old story again and again....I will never fly in Dx9 anymore.Despite some known bugs Dx10 runs a lot better, with no blurries, no micro pauses and with a much better visual quality.
Agreed, apart from the micro stutters... :( I know not everyone has them but I do. Overall performance is sooooooo much better with DX10, but I always get small random micro stutters, every few seconds, and it really spoils it for me. The weird thing is that I have those microstutters on two completely different computers! My previous computer was a E6600 with a 8800GTX on Vista 32 bit with 2 Gb RAM: DX10 ran fine but I had shimmering textures and microstutters. I've bought a new computer recently: i7 920 with a GTX285 and Vista 42 bit with 6 Gb RAM... still microstutters (no shimmering textures!)... It's driving me crazy!!!I'd pay 50 bucks or more if someone could tell me what causes these microstutters because overall performance is so much better with DX10...! Really! No kidding. I really really really want to know why some don't have those microstutters with DX10...David, I'd like to know what your system is like! If you are using a nVidia card, what driver do you use?

Yep, same here. DX10 gives 10 fps better performance than DX9 and I can run light bloom and high water without killing the sim. But yes, there are microstutters and flashing runway textures under some conditions.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Agreed, apart from the micro stutters... :( I know not everyone has them but I do. Overall performance is sooooooo much better with DX10, but I always get small random micro stutters, every few seconds, and it really spoils it for me. The weird thing is that I have those microstutters on two completely different computers! My previous computer was a E6600 with a 8800GTX on Vista 32 bit with 2 Gb RAM: DX10 ran fine but I had shimmering textures and microstutters. I've bought a new computer recently: i7 920 with a GTX285 and Vista 42 bit with 6 Gb RAM... still microstutters (no shimmering textures!)... It's driving me crazy!!!I'd pay 50 bucks or more if someone could tell me what causes these microstutters because overall performance is so much better with DX10...! Really! No kidding. I really really really want to know why some don't have those microstutters with DX10...David, I'd like to know what your system is like! If you are using a nVidia card, what driver do you use?
Hi Jeroen,My specs are in my signature (if you have a good view!!).Here they are:i7 965 @ 4.0 Ghz & Zalman CNPS9900 cooler/ ASUS Rampage II Extreme/ Corsair Dominator 3x 2 Gb DDR3-SDRAM PC12800 / EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1 Gb OC/ Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W/ Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 64 Mb/ Vista x64 on WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb/ FSX on another WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb.Your system is quite the same as mine.FSX runs as smooth as silk with high water settings, bloom effect and all sliders right except traffic.But IMO there is a HUGE difference that can explain your micro pauses: Vista x64.If you have some spare time and the x64 disk, take the 50 bucks you already owe me (...), add a few $ and make yourself a favor, buy a new hard drive.Install Vista 64 on dual boot, install FSX and you will be really surpized.Now a i920 has to be overclocked if you really wish to appreciate the difference with your "old" E6600.This CPU can reach 3.8 Ghz quite easily and the difference with the default settings is very relevant.Another important component: your RAM must be a good Triple channel (OCZ, Corsair etc...) with the lowest latency, if you want the best results.Regarding FSX.cfg, if you want a good advice, NEVER add the Bufferpools entry if you use Dx10. Thiat causes stutters.Actually I made zero changes to the cfg file with the i965.That's all :-)Don't hesitate to ask for some further info if I can help.Noel, yes the runway textures are a real hassle but unfortunately there is nothing to do.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

David,What do you mean by same old story??DX9 has always ran better than DX10 on my hardware and DX10 cannot even begin to compete with DX9 for overall graphic quality (it's a shimmering mess) and there is no amount of driver configuration that will make FSX under DX10 look or perform as well as FSX under DX9. I have no blurries, no stutters, no micro pauses and no DX10. I will never fly DX10.Personally, I really believe it was termed DX10 Preview for a reason.FSX has proved one thing, what works for one does not work for all.I will have to admit it though, I didn't build a DX10 capable FSX computer to run in DX9.........that has been a let down.

David,What do you mean by same old story??
I was speaking about the "'artists impression' of FSX and DX10" aka "the magic screenies".

Best regards,
David Roch

I was speaking about the "'artists impression' of FSX and DX10" aka "the magic screenies".
lol...........yes that most definitely is beating the dead horse. :(

DX9 has always ran better than DX10 on my hardware and DX10 cannot even begin to compete with DX9 for overall graphic quality (it's a shimmering mess)..
Well, that's what I used to think too, until I ran FSX under Windows 7 and DX10. The difference between 30 fps (DX9) and 40 fps (Dx10) on the same hardware is more than evident.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals