Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Disable Aero in Vista

Does anyone have some insight on disabling Aero in Vista? Does it interfere with FSX? Any thoughts on that? For non-Vista users Aero gives Vista a very glassy smooth look not unlike MAC OS 10. However I have a hunch that it undermines FSX a little and I am trying to determine if FSX may run smoother with Aero disabled.I sure would appreciate some input from one of the knowledgeable souls that roam these forums. Lee :(

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

FSX turns off Aero automatically when it is started, since the two can't be running at the same time. So you don't have to disable Aero yourself.Edit: No wait, I'm thinking of Aero Glass or whatever that's called, sorry.

Right-click on Desktop > PersonalizeClick the top option - Window Color and AppearanceChoose Windows Vista Basic or Windows Standard under Color Scheme options.To turn Aero back on, do the same but Choose Windows Aero under the Color Scheme options.

Edit: No wait, I'm thinking of Aero Glass or whatever that's called, sorry.
No wait, you're right DC. Windows reverts to Vista Basic (which doesn't feature Vista Aero) automatically when you launch FSX, and it restores Vista Aero when you exit.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks guys, it's nice to know that the display switches automatically to Basic when you load FSX. I like the look of Aero it's nice actually. BTW, I'm finding Vista less of a monster than I thought. I have the 64 bit version with sp1 installed on a new I7 computer with the latest Nvidia card, and actually FSX w/Acceleration is pretty smooth so far. I'm running locked at 30. I read over at the Flight1 forum that if you give yourself Full control over FSX, Vista will interfere less. I've tried it with UAC on and UAC off. I can still install programs either way. It only asks permission once when UAC is on.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I think the best solution to the UAC problem is to install FSX (or any applications you intend to fool around with) into some other folder than C:\Program Files. Vista will be a witch with this folder, but cares little about what you do with your own folders.

Mike Beckwith