Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

Fuel Dump on Airplane 747-200/300

Guest wintercon

Hello guys I have a small question which I was not able to figure out for the past days.I own the CLS 747-200/300 and it his in the cockpit the fuel dump function..however the press of a button from FSX does not work on that plane and that box in the panel when I open it and click on the trigger where it states "fuel dump" nothing happens,I played around a bit with opening valves,pumping fuel etc.. for days but I cant figure out how to fuel dump. In the manual itself it states fuel dump but not how you do it and I want to know how do you do a fuel dump on a airplane such as that?What are the procedures ? I really would like to shine some light on it as iam landing usually with more then 60%fuel . I can press duel dump as many times but that white line from the aircraft is not coming out and I am not loosing any fuel either.Please help as of how this is getting doneThanks :)

FSX does in fact have a fuel dump function, however it is rather unrealistic. The fuel jettisons out of the tail of aircraft, and at such a fast rate that not even a minute of dumping depletes the fuel (however I believe the parameter is controllable).I am thinking that the fuel dump switch in the CLS 747 is likely simply a dummy switch.

Guest wintercon
FSX does in fact have a fuel dump function, however it is rather unrealistic. The fuel jettisons out of the tail of aircraft, and at such a fast rate that not even a minute of dumping depletes the fuel (however I believe the parameter is controllable).I am thinking that the fuel dump switch in the CLS 747 is likely simply a dummy switch.
hm...yeah I never actually thought of that.I mean my CLS is so far except the A2A B377 Stratocruiser Wings of Silver.So many buttons are working on the CLS 747 but so many are not,its said cause when I press the fuel dump there is sound to it but nothing happens.Ah well,I guess I have to live with it ? Fuel Dump i see as essential to approach airports.

Fuel Dump i see as essential to approach airports.
I don't think it is very essential, at least not in simulation. A great majority of pilots in real world go through their whole flying career without once engaging this button. If you land consistently with too much fuel then your fuel planning is not too good.

Fuel Dump i see as essential to approach airports.
Certainly not in real life (unless every airlines wants to go out of business from paying for wasted fuel), and not in the Sim if you plan fuel correctly. FSX estimates how much fuel you'll need for your trip when you create the flightplan. Adding a bit to this to cover taxiing/holding at the departure and arrival airports, and to cover the fact you may have to go-around or divert will get you in the right area.If you're really stuck, and dont want to land the aircraft overweight, you can change the fuel level by altering the values in the Fuel & Payload screen directly. Is that realistic? No, but neither is dumping fuel on approach to airports (unless in an emergency).

Guest wintercon
I don't think it is very essential, at least not in simulation. A great majority of pilots in real world go through their whole flying career without once engaging this button. If you land consistently with too much fuel then your fuel planning is not too good.
This might be correct.I just that kind of person that likes additonal features when flying an airplane. Of course I am not that good I agree with you in case of fuel management and I am still learning,but I am also learning different aspects as of how approach airports in difficult circumstances.I still got a lot to learn,and trust me fuel management is on my list very high.

Had occasion to try the fuel dump on the CLS 747 earlier and remembered someone had posted about it not working. It does indeed work, here it is in action:Go to the Flight Engineer's panel, click the little black button on the cover for the fuel dump tap:fueldump1.jpgClick the tap and you will start dumping fuel and a warning buzzer will sound:fueldump2.jpgCareful though, it dumps it at a seriously unrealistic rate, so watch the gauges carefully and be ready to click the tap off again.Hope that helps - Happy landings.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest wintercon
Had occasion to try the fuel dump on the CLS 747 earlier and remembered someone had posted about it not working. It does indeed work, here it is in action:Go to the Flight Engineer's panel, click the little black button on the cover for the fuel dump tap:fueldump1.jpgClick the tap and you will start dumping fuel and a warning buzzer will sound:fueldump2.jpgCareful though, it dumps it at a seriously unrealistic rate, so watch the gauges carefully and be ready to click the tap off again.Hope that helps - Happy landings.Al
That is excactly how I access the fuel dump,but when pressing the red box and the switch is there,when I press that switch i get a beeping sound and nothing happens. Checking on the top left corner where it shows my FPS,the fuel still remains steady.That is what I am trying to figure out as of why it is not working for me.

Hmmm, seems odd, when I pressed it, it began dumping fuel like someone had cut a ten-foot-square hole in the bottom of my fuel tanks! Maybe a service pack or FSUIPC issue is preventing it from working for you, or maybe there's a patch for the CLS 747?Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest wintercon
Hmmm, seems odd, when I pressed it, it began dumping fuel like someone had cut a ten-foot-square hole in the bottom of my fuel tanks! Maybe a service pack or FSUIPC issue is preventing it from working for you, or maybe there's a patch for the CLS 747?Al
Well FSX franky is all up to date. I might have a look at the FSUIPC and will check the CLS Website,there are service packs to be downloaded,I will check the version of my airplane when I get home and update accordingly.Thanks for the help :)