Sign in to follow this  
datter

Traffic X or My Traffic X

I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered before, but I can never get the search working with any regularity on this site so I thought I'd post and hope for the best. As I recall I was posting in a thread similar to this not long ago but I'll be damned if I can find it now.I'm currently using WoAI and rather happy with it for AI traffic, it does the job... but as I recently said elsewhere on another forum being an FSX user I'm not one to leave well enough alone and all the various payware traffic addons look interesting too. I recently overclocked my Q6600 Quad to 3.3ghz (from 2.4ghz) so I think I have some processor power to play with as far as traffic goes, so I'm shopping around just to see what's out there.As I understand it Traffic X is the only one that's offering all true FSX ai aircraft, which should equate to better frame rates? Then there's My Traffic X which has some neat features too. Is there any sort of concensus regarding one over the other? What I'm after is something that will give me a lot of real world traffic, and not impact frame rates too much beyond what's expected. Also maybe have some neat extra features like Traffic X's spotter and whatnot.Traffix X, My Traffic X... just stick to WoAI? Any opinions are appreciated.

It's a personal preference to a large extent, and with that in mind, I'll tell you that I personally prefer Ultimate Traffic FSX to My Traffic...My Traffic is the more capable program if you want to talk about the various features of the two, but that greater capability comes at a cost, in that it will take up considerably more room on your HD (which is why I prefer Ultimate Traffic FSX). The aircraft seem to be a bit better modeled in My Traffic however, and there also seems to be more paint jobs kicking about for it.Having said that, Ultimate Traffic FSX may be simpler and geared to better performance rather than visual accuity, but it is very much more of a 'set and forget' type of application and it's not without some cool features in spite of its simplicity. I like the departures and arrivals board in Ultimate Traffic FSX, I don't use it all that often to be honest, but I do think it's kind of fun to check it out once in a while, and I have to say that it is a lot less complicated to play around with than My Traffic, which I think has a rather confusing interface.I've found that My Traffic is less happy with add-on sceneries than Ultimate Traffic FSX: Specifically, if you have an add-on airport which has shifted the location to a more accurate position than the default FS scenery, sometimes My Traffic will not recognise the new scenery's AFCAD file, and so you'll have to play around with its editing facilities to get things working to your satisfaction. In my experience, Ultimate Traffic FSX doesn't seem to suffer from that issue and nor does Traffic 2004 from what I've found.It's worth noting that Ultimate Traffic FSX is no longer being supported for anything other than known issues, as the developers are working on a replacement, so you could regard that as either good (in the sense that it seems to be all sorted and they regard it as being no longer in need of tweaks), or bad (in the sense that you'd be buying something that has effectively reached its pinnacle and it'll be downhill from there on). As I said, personal preference.With regard to Traffic X, I can't say I've got that, but I do have the FS2004 version of it and I think that's a really very cool program, so if the FSX version is anything like the 2004 version I have, then I'd have to say I'd prefer that to My Traffic, but obviously that's a fairly nebulous opinion since I've not actually got Traffic X.I daresay you'll find someone posting who disagrees with me and who prefers My Traffic, but as I said, it's often down to personal preference what people like. So I'd wait for some more opinions rather than going off mine alone.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've never used My Traffic X, but I recently bought Traffic X after using WoAI since January.WoAI is excellent and it is free. It's impact on frame rates on my computer was minimal. The only negative factors for me were

• because the packages are not FSX-native, ship traffic was lost
  • there wasn't much GA traffic
  • and I just didn't have the time to download all the AI aircraft I needed.

To provide some background, I went about getting the WoAI aircraft by downloading only those that serviced the airports that I wanted to fly from and to. Initially, that worked out okay, as I tend to fly a lot in western Canada and the US. However, I occasionally like to fly around Japan and Europe, and I started to find that I would have to download a lot of aircraft prior to my actual flight. This took a lot of the immediacy out of my flying, and since I have a family, a job, and a life outside FSX, I just didn't have the time to devote to weeding through the WoAI website for the downloads, and then spending the time downloading them package by package, especially when Avsim was slow.So ... I bought Traffic X last week. The frame rate impact is again minimal, the repaints for the most part are at least equal to those of WoAI, I've got my ships back, and there's a fair amount of GA traffic.In the end, I think that all three go about doing the same thing, perhaps slightly differently, but the same thing in the end. It may come down just to a matter of preference....

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I use the boxed My Traffic X with the latest patch. I had to send a CD and money to Germany for the patch. I've also used WOAI and MAIW extensively. Currently I'm using the boxed version of My Traffic X with the patch.WOAI (civil and GA traffic) and MAIW (military traffic) have nice looking models as a rule. My Traffic does provide quite a few true FSX models but the program will still use FS9 models extensively, in particular a lot of the GA traffic and most if not all of the military traffic. The My Traffic military models look absolutely terrible as well as quite a few of the GA plane models. My Traffic X will also use stock FSX planes for GA traffic. Unbelievable. My Traffic X appears to fill up the void at the smaller airports around the world with GA traffic very well, which inhabits the FSX world nicely. The program is easy to use and configure initially, but I'm not the type of person that will learn the nuts and bolts of extended traffic programming, so for me it's just an install and play program.WOAI and MAIW models look great and after I "adjusted" the bgl's both programs worked fine in FSX. WOAI appears to not do a good job of filling up the smaller airports with random traffic, so the FSX world does not seem to be inhabited as much when using WOAI and MAIW. I managed to combine My Traffic X and WOAI and MAIW together in FSX for awhile, but FSX started crashing and I traced the crashes to using the programs together, so now it's only My Traffic X.If you don't do much plane spotting, and would rather spend the time flying rather than configuring or downloading then My Traffic X will fill up the FSX world very well. My Traffic X will also provide an option to disable certain framerate hungry features, jetways, etc. WOAI and MAIW do not use jetways by default.I'm unsure, but it seems like downloading My Traffic X along with patches is a better way to go than buying the boxed version and sending away for a patch, which is what I did.

I tried them all, MyTraffic X is the way to go if you're not into RW flighplans and want lots of different traffic around and lots of AFCAD files to make it happen worldwide. Get the Simmarket version, not Aerosoft's. And keep an eye on MTX forums, they are always updating it.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest jaskanFactor

I used to use MyTrafficX, and it was good for filling up airports in the right proportions world wide, the downside was that, some of the aircraft models are down right funny looking, if not an embarrasment.So i moved to TrafficX from just flight, and its got good looking aircraft models, and good traffic distribution worldwide. From my experince, If its a Shot between MyTrafficX and TrafficX, you willl not regret going TrafficX, given the numerous crappy funny looking models in MyTraffic, it does not even compare to TrafficX from just flight.JUst in case you read somewhere about problems with TrafficX regarding very poor traffic distribution, yes this was the case in its first release, but has been fixed with service pack, very good traffic tool.Since the models of TrafficX were so much better, i also got AIRound, a tool that makes traffic watching that much better, for example Airound allows you to do flyby view of AI etc.

Interesting, but er... also confusing. So far it seems everyone is talking about TWO traffic addons, but actually THREE are mentioned... There is MyTraffic X (from Burkhard Renk), Traffic X (from JustFlight) and Ultimate Traffic 2007. I have the idea the last two are mixed up here and there. The OP is talking about MyTraffic X and Ultimate Traffic but later on people are mentioning Traffic X (from JustFlight) as if it's Ultimate. If you know what I mean. :( Might be a good idea to check your posts and make it clear which version you are talking about!

Guest ziporama

User of My Traffic X here. I like the regular updates, the ability to download just the models you're interested in, and flexibility in model quality vs performance. I also like the fact it covers both GA, jet and military flights, including helicopters. It is a disk hog, but at almost 1tb for $100 these days, less of a problem than it was, although compiling all the flight plans takes a while :)Generally speaking, the reason I picked My Traffic X among a slew of other great choices is its flexibility and ability to add/remove fleets and models, and pick which model quality should be used (high polygon vs low poly). The product seemd to edge the others by the sheer number of models, some of which are old, most of which are new, and new stuff keeps on coming out. The biggest issue I had was that some of the models are DX9 only because of the textures, and for a while now we've seen a slew of DX10 updated textures. In DX10 mode, the older textures show up as white as you know. I liked the dev's response and enthusiasm at addressing the issue.My Traffic X can easily overwhelm my box in which FPS can go down to single digits at large airports and give TCAS a workout if the GA and jet slider is anywhere about 30% on my machine (running at 4GHz on 4 ponies here). I think even if I quadrupled my raw CPU performance it's still be a slideshow :) I only wish that with all the new traffic, the FSX ATC would understand clearance between aircraft, as it gets to a point that you end up avoiding the other traffic because the ATC can't handle it effectively. At the same time, there's nothing like a line of 12 different aircraft waiting in line on the taxiway for you to land. Reminds me of many transatlantic flights I took in the past. The good news is the apple juice is cold, the bad news is we're number 53 for take-off...Etienne

User of My Traffic X here. I like the regular updates, the ability to download just the models you're interested in, and flexibility in model quality vs performance. I also like the fact it covers both GA, jet and military flights, including helicopters. It is a disk hog, but at almost 1tb for $100 these days, less of a problem than it was, although compiling all the flight plans takes a while :)Generally speaking, the reason I picked My Traffic X among a slew of other great choices is its flexibility and ability to add/remove fleets and models, and pick which model quality should be used (high polygon vs low poly). The product seemd to edge the others by the sheer number of models, some of which are old, most of which are new, and new stuff keeps on coming out. The biggest issue I had was that some of the models are DX9 only because of the textures, and for a while now we've seen a slew of DX10 updated textures. In DX10 mode, the older textures show up as white as you know. I liked the dev's response and enthusiasm at addressing the issue.My Traffic X can easily overwhelm my box in which FPS can go down to single digits at large airports and give TCAS a workout if the GA and jet slider is anywhere about 30% on my machine (running at 4GHz on 4 ponies here). I think even if I quadrupled my raw CPU performance it's still be a slideshow :) I only wish that with all the new traffic, the FSX ATC would understand clearance between aircraft, as it gets to a point that you end up avoiding the other traffic because the ATC can't handle it effectively. At the same time, there's nothing like a line of 12 different aircraft waiting in line on the taxiway for you to land. Reminds me of many transatlantic flights I took in the past. The good news is the apple juice is cold, the bad news is we're number 53 for take-off...Etienne
Why would you care for DX10 models? DX10 is just a preview, "get in, test it, get out, forget it". Stick with DX9 and enjoy it. I agree with all the rest, except the slideshow. No slideshow here and i run my i7 at 3.6.Have you tried the FPS optimizer? (guess thats what they call it)Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Why would you care for DX10 models? DX10 is just a preview, "get in, test it, get out, forget it". Stick with DX9 and enjoy it. I agree with all the rest, except the slideshow. No slideshow here and i run my i7 at 3.6.Have you tried the FPS optimizer? (guess thats what they call it)Cheers.
It's not just about whether you run DX10 mode or not. Models authored with the FSX SP2 SDK (that qualifies them as DX10) take less frame rate hit than those authored with FS9 or older. RegardsSimon

I used to use UT but switch to WOAI! The models look much better, and still are frame rate friendly, as you well know. Also like UT it has real world flightplans, both XT and MYTX are not. The downside is they are FS2004 flightplans, so any native FSX flightplan including GA, Boat traffic won't work. They can be converted to FSX FP's using one of the available utilities that do this, if you really want to have the GA,Boat traffic, but it's an extra step. So if you want real world FP's UT, or staying with WOAI is the way to go, and WOAI has the unique attribute of being freeware.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It's not just about whether you run DX10 mode or not. Models authored with the FSX SP2 SDK (that qualifies them as DX10) take less frame rate hit than those authored with FS9 or older. RegardsSimon
Agreed.

Alvega

One problem with MyTraffic is "killer aircraft". Fly into their vicinity and they will kill your FSX stone dead - ie make FSX terminate abnormally.I've notified Burkhard about this, and it seems to be some problem with a model of a regional carrier operating in north-west USA. Perhaps a missing folder or file. I presume he's trying to fix it. I've not had it anywhere else.However it's a real bummer if you like flying over WA, and it's made me switch to Ultimate Traffic.

Petraeus

Guest wintercon

Hello guysI have been thinking of getting one on these addons and I read a lot good things about my traffic x and traffic x and would like to know which one would be more worth to get then the other.Since I am sometimes flying on my own,I dont wanna fly around an airport which is dead its just not realistic and adding the slider higher is causing of course the frame rate to go down.Which is sad because it lacks realism.Now since I went to the shops I have the choice between my traffic x and traffic x. Which one ?I got ORBX and will be getting ultimate terrain usa and canada and probably GEX USA+Canada and wanna make sure that there is no issues with the rellocation of the actual terrain as I heard I think my traffic has some issues with.Which one would be the way to go ? Which one would be more frame rate friendly ?They both achieve the same right ? So I want a living airport with when I land I can see airplanes waiting for me to touch down,and when I take off I wanna be in a queue and enjoy my drink.Please advise.

when I take off I wanna be in a queue
Be careful what you wish for...wemightbehereawhile.jpgAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here