Sign in to follow this  
Guest wintercon

Most challenging airports in the world ?

Aerosoft's "Aspen II". One way in, one way out. High, snow, steep and dangerous. Fly in winter, at dusk in a corporate jet from Denver. It'll take up a great hour of challenging flying time! http://www.avweb.com/news/airman/184931-1.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avjet_Aspen_Crash and a video..

:(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I know a few of these have already been mentioned, but are well worth trying in a heavy...KASE - Aspen, USA. A tricky approach in mountainous terrain.KTEX - Telluride Regional, highest commercial aiport in USA @ 9,078ft.KLGA - La Guardia, some very interesting and challenging approach procedures with a great view of Manhattan.KDCA - Washington DC National, challenging approach procedures with lots of restricted airspace around.SLLP - El Alto, La Paz,Bolivia one of the world's highest airports @ 13,323ft.LXGB - Gibraltar, a challenging approach procedure with some tight turns, and a very short runway.LOWI - Innsbruck, Austria. Follow a mountain valley following an offset localiser and make a turn just before landing.LPMA - Madeira. Already mentioned, a very challening approach, especially with a crosswind.EGLC - London City Airport, a steep approach into a very short runway.And finally, the most famous of them all.........VHHX - Chek Lap Kok, the old Hong Kong airport. If you can get hold of some scenery you can fly the famous "Checkerboard Approach".These are just the ones that come to mind right now. Check out airports in places like Switzerland or Nepal if you like approaches in mountainous terrain. I seem to recall Iceland and Greenland have some very challenging airports, as does Norway. There is also a famous airport in the French Alps with a heavily sloping runway, the name escapes me now.Hope this helps!

Guest wintercon

This is just great guys.You guys are offering some really nice brainstorming for nice approaches and take off`s,what a beauty.My friend and I are thinking of getting the Aerosoft Mount Everest expansion as that could add some a bit of a different feeling and I always wanted to land on a mountain airport.I know switzerland has some nice approaches as well since I am born there. The aspen sounds very nice as well and should offer me and my friend some nice challenges.We will be planning some routes with fuel management as we are calculating the route for the fuel and to see if we could give ourselves some other challenges like failures throughout the flight.Now I had a flight last night from las vegas to Chicago O`Hare Airport and have created some heavy weather 20 munutes before landing in O`Hare. Now I have created some heavy winds which are coming from the right and when I tried to land the 747-200 moves itself to the right and I had no chance to correct that problem and was landing a bit sideways on the airport. Now once landed,approaching with 160knots and speed brakes on,I touched down and was able to correct. But do I have to do something with the engines ?

Guest Rockcliffe

I agree with the poster above. The now-closed Kai Tek airport in Hong Kong is a great challenge. While you're there, hop over to Macau for a very unique runway.Others I would recommend are Gibraltar, Castlegar, British Columbia (don't try it in your 747. Look for the approach charts online. It's very unusual)There's an approach to Kennedy airport in New York that's also very challenging. I've forgotten the name for it, but it's similar to the Kai Tek approach with a sharp turn just before final. I'm sure someone here is familiar with it.Finally, the River Approach to Reagan-National in Washington is also a challenge.BlairCYOW

FlyTampa puts out the incredible KaiTak airport:-http://www.flytampa.org/shots/vhhx6.jpg( http://www.flytampa.org )

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest wintercon

Wow,this is some really a nice looking airport,omg. Jeez this simming does involve a lot of money,and I thought my R/C Airplanes allready cost enough,now even in virtual its gonna cost me heaps more.Just a quick thought,do you guys also getting quite some slow downs on the Las Vegas International Airport. The traffic is allrdy on mininum,and I have to be honest with you guys but does the traffic really has such a massive impact on the FPS? FS2004 I could put everything to the max and enjoy still some nice graphics.Man I miss those times with a lot of traffic on the airports :( sniff. If microsoft would have coded the game better,we would have a lot more possibilites.Flying on an empty airport is like going to to cementary.(If spelled correctly) Once I approach Las Vegas I get around 10FPS-15,what a joke,with all the traffic to like 10-15 percent and no cars around.Nothing that could be done about it ?

Guest jshyluk

Castlegar CYCG in the heart of the British Columbian Rockies is one of the toughest airports in a region that has a lot of tricky runways.I am envious that you have a good sim flight buddy. My regular circle of personal friends who also fly Flight Simulator = 0.000 +/- 0 right now. Even if I did have friends who were hooked, nobody I know either keeps a regular schedule, or can keep up with mine (such as it is).Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest wintercon
I concur,IMO the best scenery/airport for FSX,and what a challenge,the heavier the bird the more the challenge!!
It is a very nice scenery/airport addon but keep in mind that even the ORBX Melbourne Airport is extremely nicely detailed.But just the airport not the surroundings.Is Las Vegas standard to have these frame rate drops when approaching/landing/taxiing/takeoff on the airport? I have tweaked FSX that I have some nice framerate but just in Las Vegas Airport which is standard quite detailed,I get slow downs. I was thinking to buy Aerosoft Switzerland Profesionall but it is very expensive to see my country in such details,i could buy for that GEX,UTX USA and canada togheter and get more out of it.Ah my country ends up always so expensive, sigh I sended the airport lists to my friend to process.This is gonna be a an "Airy" weekend.

One of my favorites is the approach to the 02 runways (with circle to land)of the SantosDumont airport (SBRJ) at Rio de Janeiro.Very challenging and very nice scenery as the approach goes along the mountains(Corcovado), over the Botafogo bay and the final turn is just before the Sugarloaf!I tried it first with a slow aircraft (Baron) to get some references on the ground for the final turn.Guy

Guest jshyluk

Rio is pretty awesome, nice pictures!I recall another challenge: Langley CYNJ (British Columbia. Canada)Langley has one turf strip and one asphalt. Both are 2100' long. Let's just ponder on that a moment. An asphalt runway wide enough to accomodate a 737, but only about seven football fields long. Lots of trees and houses at either end, should you get any ideas about missing the numbers when you land. By comparison, CYVR (Vancouver) has main runways that are approx 10,000' - 11,000' long, so roughly five times the length available to Langley. Have fun!Strictly speaking, the asphalt at CYNJ can only take on aircraft under 12,500 lbs, whereas an empty 737 weighs on the order of 60,000 to 100,000 lbs (very roughly), so in reality you wouldn't see any heavies at Langley. In FSX, well, you wanted a challenge, right? I find Langley hard enough with a Cessna 172, but the runway is there waiting for you, why not see what you can do with it in FSX? Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Two other spectacular and challenging approaches:PARO-Butan (VQPR) , very very steep descent! from 13500 feet at Pro to 7600 at Vqpr in 7 miles, must be fully configured at ProQueenstown-New Zealand (NZQN) challenging approach to runway 5 with nice scenery over the mountains and the lakeGuy

Challenging can depend on your aircraft, runway length, and terrain. I just flew a challenging one in my Baron-kdkx.I was paid the complement by one of the locals who said I was one of the few Baron drivers who didn't put a bald spot on their tire coming in.