Sign in to follow this  
Guest tebinu

MD11 2000nm holding pattern ;)

Guest tebinu

Ok so i was going from EHAM to EDDF (yeee a short flight for the MD11) and i was sent into a holding over GED VOR. Well so i put in the holding like couple of times before that day and expected to have a 3 minutes turn. After i was done with putting in the data, it showed me some waypoint which was about 2000nm far away. why? my airac is 0902 (just upgraded to 0903, maybe its cause of some bad files or whatever)tebin

Tebin-That Avro you flying not have a GPS or FMS?Getting a fix 2,000nm away is something i'd expect you to have seen if flying a transport category airplane. It is pretty simple.As an ATPL, you obviously know that there are a fixed number of identifiers for navigation aids and fixes- so some of them get recycled. Generally speaking they are recycled in different hemispheres to make it easy to know when your navigation device shows you a list- you can tell immediately by looking at the lat/long which one is located in the geographic region you want.The MD-11, 744, and all other FMS/GPS driven airplanes do this...If you get a fix that is a couple thousand miles outside of your planned flight- it's called "pilot error." You selected the wrong fix from the similars list....This is, of course- covered in the FMS manual too!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Tebin,I took the short time to check out your website, to which you link in your profile...Interesting stuff there...Are you sure you hold an ATPL??? If not, I would remove the comment in your signature, if I were you ;)Andrew

Guest tebinu
Tebin-That Avro you flying not have a GPS or FMS?Getting a fix 2,000nm away is something i'd expect you to have seen if flying a transport category airplane. It is pretty simple.As an ATPL, you obviously know that there are a fixed number of identifiers for navigation aids and fixes- so some of them get recycled. Generally speaking they are recycled in different hemispheres to make it easy to know when your navigation device shows you a list- you can tell immediately by looking at the lat/long which one is located in the geographic region you want.The MD-11, 744, and all other FMS/GPS driven airplanes do this...If you get a fix that is a couple thousand miles outside of your planned flight- it's called "pilot error." You selected the wrong fix from the similars list....This is, of course- covered in the FMS manual too!
well i think i did not describe the problem very well,.. i was checking the route ofc and i know how it should look like and everything is fine. the aircraft is flying a normal pattern even if the waypoint is that far away. it just looks more like an graphic error cause if there would be a point on your fmc which is that far away, im pretty sure, the aircraft would make a turn if its the next wpt but in this case, it just follows the rest of the route (like i also had one time before) so there are 2 different cases.. sometimes the trackline just disappears for some reason (just couple of seconds or when i make a turn then it comes back) i can do a screenshot for you next time i see thisaentwis: yes, sure but at the moment in training :)

So, you're in training for your ATPL... aha...That means you have your PPL, CPL, and so on... ;)I suppose we all could say that we are in training for our ATPL... :DBy the way, feel free to call me Andrew, that is the name with which I signed my post... something you should do as well... ;)Andrew