Sign in to follow this  
Warren

Ground Env X

Downloaded GEX and I love it. The textures are awesome and it is easy on the puter. The only downside for me is the auto tree generator. I like trees as well as the next guy but it puts trees at my favorite airport that I used to fly into with my father when he had his plane. My native state is Montana and believe me when I tell you it is mostly strip farming with a few hedge rows untill you get twords Glacier Park and the Western end of the state. Any way if you fly into Great Falls International it is on a plateau and it has no trees around it or in it, but GEX makes it look like it is a mountain airport. Even with the slider turned down it still prints a xxxxload of trees. Like I said love the program textures for the mountains, flat lands and deserts and will keep using it. It's so much better than the default. I would recommend it to everyone, especially if you love flying with trees. LOLwjc Just%20Kidding.gif

Downloaded GEX and I love it. The textures are awesome and it is easy on the puter. The only downside for me is the auto tree generator. I like trees as well as the next guy but it puts trees at my favorite airport that I used to fly into with my father when he had his plane. My native state is Montana and believe me when I tell you it is mostly strip farming with a few hedge rows untill you get twords Glacier Park and the Western end of the state. Any way if you fly into Great Falls International it is on a plateau and it has no trees around it or in it, but GEX makes it look like it is a mountain airport. Even with the slider turned down it still prints a xxxxload of trees. Like I said love the program textures for the mountains, flat lands and deserts and will keep using it. It's so much better than the default. I would recommend it to everyone, especially if you love flying with trees. LOLwjc Just%20Kidding.gif
GEX doesn't have a 'tree generator'. GEX is texture tiles only (with some autogen alignment thrown in). Landclass decides where trees are positioned and GEX doesn't include any.You can get addon landclass like SceneryTech or similar which may change the way the area you are mentioning is depicted within FSX.

GEX doesn't have a 'tree generator'. GEX is texture tiles only (with some autogen alignment thrown in). Landclass decides where trees are positioned and GEX doesn't include any.You can get addon landclass like SceneryTech or similar which may change the way the area you are mentioning is depicted within FSX.
Sorry I meant to say autogen. But what I am not understanding is why it puts so many trees in this area. If I reload the default textures there are no trees at the airport like it is supposed to be, and that is with the autogen slider set exactly the same using either GEX or the default textures. Not a big deal really, was just curious if any one knew

Guest wintercon

I have a questionSince from flight1 there is GEX and ultimate terrain X USA and Canada ,what is there the difference? Because I am thinking of getting an addon for usa and canada but I am not sure what is the difference between both of them.Is ground environment x more detailed and the latest or is ultimate terrain the better way to go?The textures on ground enviornment look a lot better then the one from ultimate terrain X.If to choose,which is the best choice?

Since from flight1 there is GEX and ultimate terrain X USA and Canada ,what is there the difference?
these are completely different addons, doing different things. GEX only replaces ground textures, ultimate terrain on the other hand corrects shorelines, adds better roads, etc. There is no conflict between them you can get both, only one or none at all.

Guest wintercon
these are completely different addons, doing different things. GEX only replaces ground textures, ultimate terrain on the other hand corrects shorelines, adds better roads, etc. There is no conflict between them you can get both, only one or none at all.
Thanks Michal to clear that up,I was not quite sure..Well I might then guess to go with GEX first as wanting better textures would be good but more details would not be to bad either.That is gonna cost though almost 200 cause I am thinking of getting traffic X as well.Since my most common used airport is Las Vegas I might have to get the expansion as I am mostly flying around australia :)I might get both of them...I love the extra details :)

I have both Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment for FS9 and they are both good products.I have recently moved up to FSX and my first add on purchase was Ultimate Terrain.To say it corrects coasts & roads is to underestimate the effect it has. Rather than towns appearing as amorphous blobs scattered randomly around the scenery, it is much more accurate so that you can pick out real towns you are familiar with with features like parks, golf courses, industrial parks & so on. At night, the effect is much more like what you see when you really look out of the window of the airliner than the basic FS set up.To me, it makes a huge difference to the way FS looks.I'm not not knocking Ground Environment, it has its advantages but they are subtle compared to Ultimate Terrain's immediate WOW factor.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest WillKGTF

I live in Great Falls and the forrest at Gore Hill hasn't gone without notice. I guess it's one of those trade off's. I would move the slider completely to the left on my computer, but my ATI graphics card deletes buildings when I do that unless the pan view is directly on them. move the view a little off and they disappear, which really bugs me. Otherwise, I would prefer autogen off since it looks more realisitic for the area. Oh well. GEX is still a huge improvement.

I live in Great Falls and the forrest at Gore Hill hasn't gone without notice. I guess it's one of those trade off's. I would move the slider completely to the left on my computer, but my ATI graphics card deletes buildings when I do that unless the pan view is directly on them. move the view a little off and they disappear, which really bugs me. Otherwise, I would prefer autogen off since it looks more realisitic for the area. Oh well. GEX is still a huge improvement.
Hey friend thanks for the info. I am originally from Chester. Will live with it as I really like GEX. I have noticed it does that to a lot of the flatland airports. But like you said it is a good trade off. Happy flying partnerWCJust%20Kidding.gif