Sign in to follow this  

Offline weather program?

Guest KD Larsen

Since I'm not able to connect to the internet too often, I have to do most of my flying offline. And, in the end it gets quite boring to add the weather yourself.So, I was wondering if there is a program that'll add fairly realistic weather (like, rain during the rain season, snow during the winter etc.) without having to get weather data online?

Guest Marvel

hithere are some great freeware programs which I can remember, they are FSmetar and weather maker personal edition. I'm sorry I couldn't remember the URL so you better do a search at google for those two programs. Use search term such as "FSmetar,fs2002" and "weather maker,fs2002" for example. BTW you need FSUIPC for these 2 programs to work. With FSmetar it will download weather infomation and store as a txt file so you can use it offline when ever you like,while weather maker will generate a "realistic changing weather" according to parameters you entered. Weather maker enhanced edition will be release soon as a freeware it will be able to generate changing weather from online weather infomation. Personnally for me FSmetar is good enought, although you won't see changing weather MarvelVTBD

Guest crashing_pilot

hi,on http://www.weather-maker.com/ you can find a neat program,that will produce everchanging weather in your sim:its great,and freeware!!hih

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Use Real Weather v5.1 meself when flying offline; originally developed for FS98, it works darn good in 2K2. Download a METAR, save it as a .txt file and load it into Real Weather. Only drawback is METAR reports are hourly, so kinda limits the time you fly in weather that doesn't repeat itself :-( (although you might be able to "splice" two or more hourly METARs together, but I've never tried it).Base programme should still be available from Simviation.com (and get the upgrade to v5.2); and yes, you do need FSUIPC.

Guest KD Larsen

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a look at them once I get time haul my 10+ pound machine down a set of pretty steep stairs :-hah... either that, or until I get my wallet out and buy a 60 foot LAN cable!Oh, and naturally, I have FSUIPC. Where would I be without it! Use it for calibrating my CH Yoke, as well as stop rudder/aileron/elevator spiking and soo much more.

Guest Captain Barfbag

It's payware, but FSMeteo is a very good upgrade. It allows you to go out occasionally and get METAR data, and then stores it on your hard disk. You can then select any of your saved METAR files to run with, so the weather changes as you moved from airport to airport just like it would on the date/time of the METAR file. It also features thinks like a window to view the weather at any airport.

I am using Activesky and FSMeteo, both are capable of downloading and storing world metar files for any given time.The reason why I am using them is because both are also capable of reading VATSIM metars when flying online which improves the way weather is being displayed a lot over the way Squawkbox handles them.Hope that helpsHappy flying Ralph Hummel Staff Reviewer AVSIM Online