Sign in to follow this  
Guest UAEmirates

FSX 747-400 Gauges + Improvements

Guest UAEmirates

I have seen Alexander Barthel's improvements for the CRJ and 738 which i both have, but do you know if there are any improvements for the 747 ?Have probably looked all over the place and seem to of found zilch :(Here are some of the things which seem to bug me.1) No autopilot labels on the PFD, such as LOC etc which you can see on the 738.2) The EICAS shows the same information on two boards, and doesn't show N2 and Oil Pressure as example on the other board unless you switch them.3) No winds velocity and direction on the HSI unlike the 738 which has it.4) De-ice !5) As for RTO i don't believe it even works, unless i am doing something entirely wrong for it.These are just a few i picked out, i know for the 738 it brings so much more information just right there ! Instead of me having to switch back and forth for the other gauge i have.Alex.. if you see this.. HELP ! ;) :(Kind regards,

Guest firehawk44

Oh boy! I'm going to make some popcorn and watch this one! :( Jim

Guest firehawk44
I have seen Alexander Barthel's improvements for the CRJ and 738 which i both have, but do you know if there are any improvements for the 747 ?Have probably looked all over the place and seem to of found zilch :(Here are some of the things which seem to bug me.1) No autopilot labels on the PFD, such as LOC etc which you can see on the 738.2) The EICAS shows the same information on two boards, and doesn't show N2 and Oil Pressure as example on the other board unless you switch them.3) No winds velocity and direction on the HSI unlike the 738 which has it.4) De-ice !5) As for RTO i don't believe it even works, unless i am doing something entirely wrong for it.These are just a few i picked out, i know for the 738 it brings so much more information just right there ! Instead of me having to switch back and forth for the other gauge i have.Alex.. if you see this.. HELP ! ;) :(Kind regards,
I thought you would get all kinds of responses on your request for improvements to the default 747. I wouldn't look for specific gauges but for the whole panel if you plan on modifying the 747 PFD/EICAS. I use to replace panels in the FS9 and earlier days but found alternate panels usually were not fame rate friendly and/or caused other problems. For the 747, I would strongly suggest getting one of the commercial addons offered by CLS or PMDG. These addons can provide the most realistic experience. I do know that there are many repaints of the default 747 in the AVSIM Library and those are the only improvements I know of right now w/o conducting a search. Flightsim.com has a nice library too. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Guest UAEmirates

Your most probably right. A commercial package such as PMDG would be better off for literally full features including realism.My only problem with using PMDG is how it affects my computer which is a bit let down for me, as i always am finding ways to put more realism into the simulator.I feel i mainly mentioned the default 747 because i think you'll find new simmers who are starting to get involved with the hobby won't necessarily go and buy tons of add-ons for which.. they'll find difficult to understand. However, a default 747 can never go wrong for me ;) Its just a shame even the little details of it can be such a bug for me ! And probably for others, however.. what Alex did for the 738 was amazing, even if its just the tinyest of things.. alot of people like it ! :)Who knows.. maybe Alex COULD be seeing this ! ;)Yet none of the less hopefully when i improve my specification of my computer, PMDG will come rollin' on out ;)Regards,Ollie

You might do what I often do...add the modifications you want yourself.Both the default 738 and the 747 gauges are XML, contained in the CAB files.I simply 'de-cab' those into folders of the same name in the associated aircraft'spanel folder. FSX will use that folder instead of the CAB file from then on.Look at the XML code in the 738 that displays those options you want to addto the 747. Add the XML code with appropriate size, location, etc changes to the 747 MFD or PFD XML files.One problem though is that the B747-400 default XML gauges use the FS9 XML schemawhile those of the B737-800 use the new FSX XML schema. You can't 'mix' the twostyles in the same XML gauge so some transposing is required to use the code fromthe 738 in the 747.In some cases it may take some trial & error passes to get what you are afterbut as you become more familiar with XML coding you will find it much easierto 'customize' your displays.I don't fly the 747 much so haven't made changes to it like I have to the 738, CRJ,Baron 58 G1000 and several others.I remember I added the wind velocity/direction to a couple of PFD's and the FSX ATC radar,modified, display on a few MFD's.As long as you are working with the 'de-cabed' files in a folder in the panel folder, you can easily revert back to the original CAB gauges just by renaming the 'decabed' folder. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest SkullxBones

You might want to try the ifly 747. It's been a long time since I last flew it so I can't remember how the frame rate was, but it's free and it's more realistic than the default 747. It does have a few bugs but still one the better freeware planes out there.

Hi Guys,I did all these improvements a long time ago when no add on planes were available for FSX. So it made sense back then.But I did not change anything on the default 747 and the Airbus, because these are impossible to fix (lousy flight dynamics, etc.). It not fun to fly them anyway. So no need to fix gauges.Now I flying the MD-11 or Wilco's E-Jets a lot and would not even think about touching any of those default planes again.So sorry, but I won't continue to fix more of Aces' bugs.Alex