Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Lund

Got some problems with the MD11

Guest Peter Lund

Hi guys,First of all, thank you for a wonderful aircraft. Since the release for FS9 I have more or less negilated the two VA I am flying for, simply because I love the MD11.Second, I have some problems with it as well, most likely error 40 :( I have several times put in CLB SPD LIM to 250/10000 and none of the times have it done it. I have also tried to set the speed manually in the autopilot without luck. I don

Peter, a screen shot would eliminate a question and answer session. The mode is announced in the top of the PFD, all magenta means auto and white means pilot intervention. The speed restraint below 10,000 is default... let's see what it looks like.

Dan Downs KCRP

And just to add to Dan's post, you must preselect your IAS/MACH (turn the IAS/MACH knob) and then pull the IAS/MACH (right click) knob in order to select your airspeed. Pushing the IAS/MACH knob (left click) will select your current airspeed. This way you'll set your speed manually.

Marius Petrascu

And just to add to Dan's post, you must preselect your IAS/MACH (turn the IAS/MACH knob) and then pull the IAS/MACH (right click) knob in order to select your airspeed. Pushing the IAS/MACH knob (left click) will select your current airspeed. This way you'll set your speed manually.
Right, but he doesn't want to set it manually! He wants to input it all into the MCDU and let the plane handle it (using the AP and the SPD button).

Guest Peter Lund

Hi guys,Thank you for your feedback, I have attached 6 pictures from my flight from KORD to KDEN.Line up RWY22L at KORD Climbout flying manuallyClimbing speed have passed 250kts which was put in as SPD LIM on the first pic.Speed is still inceasing250 have been selected, but speed is still inceasingBest regardsPeter Lund

Peter,What does the white box on the FMA tell you????Regards,HarryEDIT: For those not familiar with LSAS, see what it "can" do for you, observing the pitch attitude in the sequence of pictures.Steady pitch angle, during Flap / Slat retraction and speed increasing over a wide range.

Also, your initial managed speed is shown as 258 (check out where the magenta dot on the speed tape is lying), not 250... perhaps a Vmin issue for your weight?You are also not in managed speed mode... as far as I can tell...Andrew

Hi Peter,1) Why do you want to keep your speed at or below 250?2) Why have you not selected an appropriate SID for your take off runway? 3) Why you are not using the autopilot? 4) Have you completed the tutorial flight?/Paul.

Answer is quite simple really - 250 PITCH in pfd - The flight director bars are there for a reason... follow them if hand flying.If you engage otto you'll notice that is what it does.Default is 250kts under 10k anyway!!!John E

Guest Peter Lund

Hi,1) In most airspaces there is a speed limit to 250kts below 10000, but not everywhere.2) I did select a SID (ORD1), however I have learned flying in the US many SID are vectors to the first intersection.3) I didn

Hi,1) In most airspaces there is a speed limit to 250kts below 10000, but not everywhere.2) I did select a SID (ORD1), however I have learned flying in the US many SID are vectors to the first intersection.3) I didn

Answer is quite simple really - 250 PITCH in pfd - The flight director bars are there for a reason... follow them if hand flying.If you engage otto you'll notice that is what it does.
So in other words, the thrust is set by the AT to CLB LIM (ie N1 = 93.1) and therefore the only way to control speed is via PITCH (or I guess by introducing drag).Let's say I didn't want to follow the flight director bars for PITCH and instead have the AT vary the thrust to try and control my speed whilst I fly my own PITCH. How would I set that up?

Matthew S

Let's say I didn't want to follow the flight director bars for PITCH and instead have the AT vary the thrust to try and control my speed whilst I fly my own PITCH. How would I set that up?
V/S or FPAHarry

Guest Ryan Briggs
So in other words, the thrust is set by the AT to CLB LIM (ie N1 = 93.1) and therefore the only way to control speed is via PITCH (or I guess by introducing drag).Let's say I didn't want to follow the flight director bars for PITCH and instead have the AT vary the thrust to try and control my speed whilst I fly my own PITCH. How would I set that up?
Using thrust to hold a VS or a pitch, is generally a No-No anyways on a climbout :( . as far as i've been told by several ATP's it's viewed as a High Stall hazard. therefore a constant Thrust and variable Pitch to maintain an airspeed is Considered good practice, as far as I can tell - that's an Aviation standard for climbing, Set thrust, Pitch to Maintain Airspeed. All I fly are 172's but the procedure for climbout and speeds is as follows;Line-upFull Power *black knob all the way to the firewall*Roll roll roll, Hey there's the bottom of the green arc. hey there's 55 knots *Applies slight back pressure as not to force the airplane into the air*at around 60 knots the airplane should rise off the runway almost on its own and without a nosey stall Horn.10-15 feet above pitch for 73-74above 1000 feet Pitch for 80-85 for better view over the nose and continue in this speed range to climb all the way up to cruise.Nowhere in there is Touching the Black Knob *Throttle* ever suggested nor recomended.As a matter of fact, if I'd done so on my checkride a few weeks ago, there's a good chance my Check Airman would have seriously questioned my Authority as PIC and that's NOT a good thing. the only reason I could ever think of for pulling back the throttle is a problem with Engine detonation, but the first course of action would be to Richen the mixture, and lower the nose a bit. if that didn't work then I'd pull the throttle back.Whenever I fly the LDS or my 747 or 737, Always use a system as such to allow the airplane to takeoff at Normal/De-rated Takeoff thrust, Followed by a set Climb thrust, I use the FMC to set my Acceleration height/Climb thrust reduction. and takeoff is as easy as Autothrottle Armed, *Runup* A/T Engaged, takeoff Climb *moving through Clb thrst Heigh verify throttles roll back, followed by my own pitch adjustment to continue accelerating* and then Hold Climb thrust up to cruise while Pitching to maintain desired Airspeed.to the Original poster - Your throttles will HOLD clb thrust You have to pitch the nose Up, to maintain your airspeed. You're expecting them to throttle back for you - well they won't. You're supposed to lift the nose Up, to keep the airspeed Down. just like in the real one :(

There are no published departure routes at KORD.Fly the speed bug on climb... only use V/S indication as reference.If you are just learning the MD11, best to learn with the automation helping you. Become familar with what the autopilot does.

Dan Downs KCRP