Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Lund

Got some problems with the MD11

Hi Peter,The 250kt limit is a nominal limit only, safety of flight takes precedence. A loaded MD11 will have difficulty staying below 250 on climb out, and even your own example is looking for 258kt.I accept your point about the SIDs in the US, but it does appear to be coming from the wrong end of the runway in your examples. Have you told the FMS which runway you intended to use?If you are not using the autopilot, then the onus is on you to control the aircraft. As others have mentioned, with the autothrottles holding Climb thrust, you must fly indicated pitch to get your desired speed.I recommend you try the tutorial and master the simple things before you tackle the fancy stuff. /Paul.

A loaded MD11 will have difficulty staying below 250 on climb out, and even your own example is looking for 258kt.
Looking at the screenshots, my old eyes don't see any indication of problems when climbing with 250. Why is 258 requested (I guess I know the answer, because of the weight, but what rules exactly are followed to brake with the 250 below FL100 rule and command a higher speed)?I often read that the MD-11 has narrow margins when it comes to maneuverability at too low speeds. What is considered as a too low speed for the MD-11? Can't I take the speed tape indicators (yellow band etc.) as command instruments to judge whether I'm too slow?Andreas

4) In a simply word, no.
Highly suggest you complete the tutorial flight to get a good understanding of the aircraft systems.

Marius Petrascu

Guest Ryan Briggs
Looking at the screenshots, my old eyes don't see any indication of problems when climbing with 250. Why is 258 requested (I guess I know the answer, because of the weight, but what rules exactly are followed to brake with the 250 below FL100 rule and command a higher speed)?I often read that the MD-11 has narrow margins when it comes to maneuverability at too low speeds. What is considered as a too low speed for the MD-11? Can't I take the speed tape indicators (yellow band etc.) as command instruments to judge whether I'm too slow?Andreas
From Federal Aviation Regulation Chaper 1 Sub-Chapter F Part 91.117 "Aircraft Speed" Paragraph(s) A and D"(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).""(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed."So while the 250 knot rule Always applies - if your airplane can't be operated below that speed Safely You're Exempt of the rule. and you may fly at the minimum safe speed.