Sign in to follow this  
ALEXEI

Blue screen of death

Hi there everytime I try and load squawkbox 3 with FS9 and try and connect I get the blue screen of death and my computer crashes and restarts. This happens everytime!!Could someone help me pleaseAlexei

What O/S are you using? I haven't seen a "blue screen" since pre-XP days!
Windows xp pro I thinkAlexei

We need to know what error codes come up with your BSOD. If the blue screen is only there for a few seconds, then you need to go into BIOS and turn off the restsart after error function.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

We need to know what error codes come up with your BSOD. If the blue screen is only there for a few seconds, then you need to go into BIOS and turn off the restsart after error function.Bob
There is no code when I do it. I will double check though. What does it mean if there is no code?Alexei

The blue screen will give you some kind of information about why Windows stopped. If a code is given, you can Google it and find a fix. Also, check Event Viewer for information. BTW, BSODs are alive and well in Vista, also.Bob

Bob

If you right click My Computer, and click Properties, you should find under the Advanced Tab "Startup and Recovery" - click into the settings dialog, and uncheck "Automatic Restart". Next time you BSOD, the screen will stay there till you hard reset your PC via the power button.Most BSOD's occur due to a hardware fault - you may get a series of numbers (eg 000000x0c), or a message like IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or perhaps a driver reference. Make a note of what appears, and post it back.HTH, Leo

Louise

London, UK

If you right click My Computer, and click Properties, you should find under the Advanced Tab "Startup and Recovery" - click into the settings dialog, and uncheck "Automatic Restart". Next time you BSOD, the screen will stay there till you hard reset your PC via the power button.Most BSOD's occur due to a hardware fault - you may get a series of numbers (eg 000000x0c), or a message like IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or perhaps a driver reference. Make a note of what appears, and post it back.HTH, Leo
Ok I will do that on saturdayAlexei

OK, it seems that there are quite a few possibilities for this error code 0x0000008e, according to Google. We'd really need to know a bit more about your hardware setup to have any better idea. Whats the make, model and spec of your PC (should be in the documentation that came with it, or the mfr's website)A couple of suggestions in the meantime:Have you overclocked your PC at all? Pull it back a bit if you have.It could be worth running a memory test - Memtest is your best bet for this. Follow the instructions on their site as to how to do this. If its a faulty RAM module, you should be able to pick up a replacement one fairly cheaply. However, it may well be the case that this comes out OK, the 8e message doesn't directly suggest faulty memory.In Event Viewer (RMB My Computer - Manage - Event Viewer) have a look and see if there is anything there that suggests an error before you get the BSOD. You'll probably have to force the BSOD, and then look in EV after the reboot.

Louise

London, UK

OK its a toshiba, and 1.73 Ghz and 1.50 G of RAM. I forgot to tell you that about a month ago I replaced my RAM with a bigger RAM, since then the problem started funelly enough. could that help?Alexei

Well, you can't just stuff any ram in there. Depending on the age of the laptop, you may need DDR or DDR2 ram. Seems that the biggest causes of your stop code are ; ram, driver, or virius. . You may have missmatched or faulty ram.Bob

Bob

But I actully looked up RAM over the internet for my computer and found it and the RAM has increasedSo what do you recomend then?Alexei

OK its a toshiba, and 1.73 Ghz and 1.50 G of RAM. I forgot to tell you that about a month ago I replaced my RAM with a bigger RAM, since then the problem started funelly enough. could that help?Alexei
Perhaps. Are the RAM sticks "same enough" (make, model, speed) ? @1.50 in total, I would suspect perhaps not. Take a look at this forum post, explains specifics a bit better; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic85236.html.Its not enough to just stick a compatible RAM module in; whilst the mobo may not, on the face of it, complain about this, running two different types of RAM can, occasionally cause problems.You should, at the very least, run identical RAM manufacturer sticks, and more ideally, same capacity (speed theoretically shouldn't matter, but then again, my experience has suggested that different sizes shouldn't matter - go figure..)What happens if you remove the newer RAM stick, do you still BSOD? And the other way round - if you remove the older stick? If all is well with both scenarios, I suspect you may have your problem and solution; the two sticks don't play nicely together, and so you want to think about replacing at least one with a matching stick (as closely as possible: at the very least, same mfr and same size).Hope this helps.Leo

Louise

London, UK