Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Three ?'s: ADE, SBuilder, RWY12

Hey guys back again with 3 quick questions.1. When using ADE with it connected to FSX, is it possible to change something on the airport your working with in ADE and visibly see it changed in FSX without having to compile the ADE file and restart FSX? I thought there was a way to see live changes, but I may be mistaken as I couldn't find anything in the ADE PDF about this. Being connected is cool since I can use the A/C as crosshairs in ADE to help when placing things.2. Here's an SBuilderX question. I have been working on this Ft. Lauderdale, FL area now for a few weeks on and off. First I was going to make just an aiport back gound of KFLL, then mod the stock AFCAD file to match the arial. Then I decided that since I was getting better at SBuilder why not do the entire Ft. Lauderdale area? So I started, had good reults, then stopped because I wanted to redo and try smaller compression> First time around I was at 100%, then I tried 75% compression. The question I have specifically is when I make large areas comprised with 10 or more maps that have been color corrected, etc., it looks really good, however the photo scenery that I create seems to blur really easy when flying at speeds of more than say 100 kts. Now I have all the MegaScenery and a few of the MegaEarth tiles and I can fly over these at high speed up to 450 kts and not get the blur problem with the textures popping into focus. Is it because I am creating photo maps that have too large of file/bgl sizes and they are taking too long to load or does the color correcting have something to do with? When I am sputtering around in the Bell heli they stay pretty clear, but when I switch over to something like the RealAir SF260 and go around 150 kts then I start to get some blurries. Would I be better off trying compression levels at 60% or less and how do these level effect the quality of the image?3. From what I understand RWY12 is not compatible with FSX, but the libraries are. Is this correct and if so how can I use these libraries in Instant Scenery? While working on my current airport I have been doing most of the object placement using Instant Scenery rather than ADE since I can view it live. My main reason for asking is that I believe RWY12 has some more static planes that what is available from the stock FSX library. One of the biggest problems I am having is finding some static private/small jets like Lear jets to place in my scenery. I am running basically all of the WOAI packages, but I still want some certain static planes without having to write flight planes for specific models that fly once a week.Thanks for the help in advance.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When using ADE with it connected to FSX, is it possible to change something on the airport your working with in ADE and visibly see it changed in FSX without having to compile the ADE file and restart FSX? I thought there was a way to see live changes, but I may be mistaken as I couldn't find anything in the ADE PDF about this. Being connected is cool since I can use the A/C as crosshairs in ADE to help when placing things.
No there is no live preview with ADE.

Jon answered #1. I many times have run ADE along with FSX in Windowed mode, along with a couple of Explorer windows open. I can copy and newly compiled BGL file to my active scenery folder, hit Alt-W-S and Enter, then see the rusults about 45 secs. later.#2 - The more you compress, the worst of is the quality. Don't know what your source material is rated at, but I wouldn't look at less than 90%. Hard drives are cheap today...#3 - Most all the Rwy12 work was converted into packages for Ez-Scenery and can be found here at Avsim. Ez-Scenery was the prior incarnation of Instant Scenery.

Jon answered #1. I many times have run ADE along with FSX in Windowed mode, along with a couple of Explorer windows open. I can copy and newly compiled BGL file to my active scenery folder, hit Alt-W-S and Enter, then see the rusults about 45 secs. later.#2 - The more you compress, the worst of is the quality. Don't know what your source material is rated at, but I wouldn't look at less than 90%. Hard drives are cheap today...#3 - Most all the Rwy12 work was converted into packages for Ez-Scenery and can be found here at Avsim. Ez-Scenery was the prior incarnation of Instant Scenery.
Thanks for the replies guys. For #2 the source I am using is VirtualEarthSatelite. When I started my project I left it set to 100% compression, then I tried it at 70% and saw no difference. The thing thats weird is that the source material for the area I am doing is really good and it looks really good in the sim. However when I fly with it in the sim it tends to get a little blurry. Not too bad, but a little bit more than my MegaScenery areas do. This is why I am stumped. I don't understand why I can fly in the MegaScenery Phoenix or Dallas area going 400-500 kts in the Aerosoft F-16, but when I do the same in my little 12 map Ft. Lauderdale area I start to get the tiles blurring. When I am amking the maps with the VirtualEarthSatelite source material I have been using a zoom level of 17. Is a zoom level with that much detail causing my problems? Would I be better off using zoom levels of say 15 or 16? I really ilke the way the material looks at 17 but not at the cost of creating maps/tiles that load to slowly.BTW, I have ample space on my HD.Thanks and I look forward to any more input on this issue.Regards

Boy, reading my post above tells me I really must start using the spell checker! :( Your settings in FSX will control how far out the detail radius will be. But if the Mega looks good and your's doesn't then you should look at something else. Are you compiling straight from SBuilderX or using your own INF file and Resample?

Boy, reading my post above tells me I really must start using the spell checker! :( Your settings in FSX will control how far out the detail radius will be. But if the Mega looks good and your's doesn't then you should look at something else. Are you compiling straight from SBuilderX or using your own INF file and Resample?
Yeah, I know that its not my FSX settings, they are fine. I had my Windows and FSX install set up by FS-GS and I have no issues anywhere except in my own photo scenery areas :( I compile straight from SBuilderX. I have only compiled once from outside using my own INF file to test something. It's hard to say what causes this. First I was thinking that maybe my maps were just to big and perhaps I should make smaller maps, but then I will have a lot more bgl's. Then I started to think that perhaps using such a high zoom level might be causing the problem. I notice that maps that have a lot of houses or buildings in them tend to take a little longer to come into focus than maps that dont have a lot of detail, such as grassy areas or fields with not a lot of detail. However, when I fly in MegaSceneryX Pheonix or SoCal I have no issues like this and it is pretty detailed scenery. Heck, even flying in the horrible MegaSceneryEarth Ft. Lauderdale area doesn't cause any blurry problems. Any ideas?BTW, I just reread your post quickly and didn't notice any typos. I wouldn't wory about spell checking these posts. I am sure mine through the years have had a few mistakes that I haven't caught.