Sign in to follow this  
Guest swanrunner

ASA SP1 Beta2

Guest swanrunner

After 3 legs in my LDS 767 it is a great improvement for FSX. I really like the cloud draw suppression to avoid those annoying cloud pops. Metar depiction appears to be much better. Cloud layers seem to be much thicker and overcast layers really appear solid. I was using Sim connect 1 with the first beta to cure wind shifts but am using the normal Sim connect 2 now. Will have to try the PMDG MD11 next. Thanks HiFi for all the hard work getting all these issues worked out. Even though there is not going to be an FS11 anytime soon it is nice to know this great add on won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Guest BadWhippet

Having tried ASX (and liking it) I bought ASA last week but had been horribly disappointed in the performance: my PC was grinding to a halt with my CPU cores maxed out when trying to run ASA alongside FSX and in the end I would start up ASA to inject some initial weather into FSX, and then would have to close ASA before taking off. Such a shame because I hadn't had to do this in ASX.I don't know whether something had gone wrong in my original ASA install, or whether the Beta SP1 has made such a dramatic difference to performance (I'm a brand new user), but it's now wonderful! I've just completed a 3.5hr flight in high winds and lots of cloud with ASA ticking along in the background and it was absolutely great. No problems whatsoever.I've experienced three (very minor) faults only:(1) When trying to install and run the Beta, it seemed to hang with a message "start download content license result". I restarted ASA, but same problem. It was only after closing ASA a second time that I noticed a small pop-up window requesting a reactivation over the internet. This must have been hidden behind the main ASA window. If possible, it would probably be better to force this pop-up window to be on top lest it results in many "hello - I'm new and ASA doesn't start" posts!(2) On first use, entering EGUW for Wattisham airfield seized up ASA. The map wouldn't load, nor would any info relating to this airfield and ASA seized up, taking with it a good degree of PC resources which made a further restart of ASA impossible. I don't know whether it was this particular airfield, or the fact that I hadn't restarted my PC after installing the beta update (I'd been running the original ASA build prior to installing the update) but after a PC restart it was fine and loaded up all relevant weather and location details of EGUW. This might be a non-issue - some quirk on my PC only, but if more people report problems selecting new locations after installing the update, it might only require a PC restart to sort it.(3) Importing flight plans gives a 'not responding' error. However, this seems merely to be a slow loading problem and the flight plan DOES load in the end if ASA is left alone to do its work.All in all, if this update has made such a difference to CPU load, then that's one fantastic job. it could be that my original ASA was problematic and the update corrected whatever problem existed, but I'm just happy to have a working (and barely noticeable in the background) ASA running at last. So a big thanks from me for a fantastic add-on!

Guest CX355

Flying my third flight ( approx. 15 hours) and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. I was getting a sort of crash to desktop once in every flight but have not had that experience since installing Beta. I was told that this return to desktop was because some other program was taking a higher priority than FS9. Although FS9 did not crash I had to standby to return from desktop to FS9. I thought it might be the PMDG MD-11 but I now think it was ASA which may have been causing this anoyance. I will report if this happens again. So far so good w/ me.....Vincent

Well, as I posted before I have freezing episodes every single flight with the PMDG MD-11 on FSX, so I decided to use IVAO's online meteo until the problem is solved =(

Guest CX355
Flying my third flight ( approx. 15 hours) and I have not seen anything out of the ordinary. I was getting a sort of crash to desktop once in every flight but have not had that experience since installing Beta. I was told that this return to desktop was because some other program was taking a higher priority than FS9. Although FS9 did not crash I had to standby to return from desktop to FS9. I thought it might be the PMDG MD-11 but I now think it was ASA which may have been causing this anoyance. I will report if this happens again. So far so good w/ me.....Vincent
I have confirmed that your Beta patch corrected the "crash" problem discribed above I was experiencing. I like many still get the occasional flick not a flicking or flickering(ha ha) and it does not occur on all flights. Vincent