Sign in to follow this  
michaelohalloran

A Couple Of FS2004 Questions On Vista.

Hi all, I have just installed FS2004 in my computer running Windows Vista.I have a couple of questions, first one is.. When i start to load a flight, minimize FS9, change aircraft, There is a black flicker like i have changed resolution, My monitor and FS9 are running the same resolution, is there a way to stop this flickering?2nd question: After using FS2004 on vista i have noticed, for example when i push ALT and go to FS Passengers and click around on some drop down menus all what i click seems to save itself and pile up, So if i click FS Passengers and then forget that and go to click Time and season, the FS passengers drop down will still be there, Any one have any idea how to stop this? Its rather annoying.I appriciate any responces, Thank you.

If you installed FS9 to the default location (not a good idea in Vista), always start it by right clicking the icon and select Run As Administrator. Or turn off UAC. If your Vista is up to date, than with a few adjustments, it should run like it did in XP.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Sorry, I should have said "these adjustments".Again:1. Do not install to the default Program Files location. Use something like C:/FS9 instead. Very important.2. Go to Microsoft Update and make sure you have all the newest updates.3. Many Vista users turn off User Account Control. UAC is a good security thing, but it can get in the way of some programs. Try turning it of ( Control Panel/User Accounts), and see if that helps.A breif black screen may be normal in Vista.Bob

Bob

Hi Bob. I am an XP user. Just wondering why it isn't a good idea to install to default location?

Vista does not allow changes to files in the Program Files folder. This is so spyware and viruses can not change your data. It also means that you can not change it either. Not with out jumping through some hoops. If you open the fs9cfg. file to alter it, you will not be able to save the changes because of UAC protection. One way is to open Note Pad, browse to the file, alter it , save and close. That works. Or you can turn off UAC or just install any where else to get around UAC. With UAC on, you really should open everything by right click and run as admin. Some things pre SP1 may not work properly by just left click.Just one of the reasons some don't like Vista. I think it's just a matter of knowing how to use your OS, whatever it is. I use both and really don't like one better than the other.Bob

Bob