Sign in to follow this  
Guest meteonal

Need to download again

Guest meteonal

Sorry , but i lost my MD11 FSX setup file and i need to reinstall . How can I activate download link at PMDG. My order no is Order #114974 - Order Date: 2/13/2009 Thanks

Please sign your name to posts in this forum.If you got the extended download service, you can activate that by sending an email to pmdg support. Be sure you get an automated response.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please sign your name to posts in this forum.If you got the extended download service, you can activate that by sending an email to pmdg support. Be sure you get an automated response.
Just as a matter of interest how would one go on if they hadnt got the extended download service? Can it be added later?

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE - Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache - Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151 - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE - 1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW) - CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES - CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler

Added later? That is like buying auto insurance after the collision, isn't it? Be sure to keep your downloaded exe's in a safe place (burned to cd maybe).

Dan Downs KCRP

Added later? That is like buying auto insurance after the collision, isn't it? Be sure to keep your downloaded exe's in a safe place (burned to cd maybe).
Dan, nothing against PMDGs policy, but this is comparing apples to oranges. Very costly hardware vs. a file. It hardly costs PMDG to let someone download the product again, if even couple of cents. If someone loses his file, whatever the reason is (and there might be some pretty serious reasons, even if you have more backups) you are telling me that there are basically two ways:1) Buy new product2) Condone to other "sources"???Why not offer one time download, for a week, for something like 2€?

Flight1 doesn't charge for new download as well as Simmarket and Aerosoft. The same applies for services such as Amazon MP3, Zune and ITunes.PMDG is a private business and it's up to them to decide whether to charge or not for redownloading, but I don't think that this was ethical decision in respect of their customers.Dmitriy

Ethical? They offer an extended download service, and you have a choice at the time of purchase to add this option. Now, if you do take the option but PMDG offers free downloads to someone who lost their download, how ethical is that? In this scenairo the guy who bought the extended download is paying an unfair charge.It's not a question of ethics. It is a business decision, and it fairly treats all buyers (with or without purchase of option).In my case, I had to purchase a second time my 737/747 because of a system crash and I didn't buy the extended download option. I didn't like doing it but I know the reason is because I failed to protect the files and I didn't buy the extended download option. Real simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

In my case, I had to purchase a second time my 737/747 because of a system crash and I didn't buy the extended download option. I didn't like doing it but I know the reason is because I failed to protect the files and I didn't buy the extended download option. Real simple.
Now, that is a real stupid thing for one to have to do. But hey, that is only my opinion.

I've been called worse. Stupid yes, unethical no.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ethics doesn't come into it at all.For the cost of a CD it's hardly expensive to make a backup of downloaded files... I, for one, backup all my downloads just in case of 'normal' disasters.Even Aerosoft only offer a limited time to redownload files - AND state 'MAKE A BACKUP OF FILES'PMDG might allow it but are under NO obligation to do so, hence the extened download service offered.John Ellison

Hi all, I lost a PMDG file at one time, just sent them an email. They told me about the extended download service, which was like $3 , bought it,, downloaded and all is good. Whats $3 ? As for charging? Bandwidth=$ Not trying to be a smart-a--, just offering my experience :) PMDG Rules !!! :)Larry Falcone

I've been called worse. Stupid yes, unethical no.
Do not misunderstand: I didn't call you stupid, but rather the fact to have to buy again if you lose the installation file - it is not your fault directly.

Word Not Allowed, sure it was directly my fault. That is my point. Believe me, I was pretty hard on myself too. Loosing the flight sim stuff was the least of it. I lost years of tax and budgeting data too. I had everything backed up with Norton Ghost on a secondary HDD but the nature of my system fault corrupted the images. Needless to say, I have a different strategy today.

Dan Downs KCRP

I ment, its not your fault what PMDG decides about this policy.Aha, now I am interested: what is your strategy? As I am using a "simple" Ghost strategy - external drive which has some of the data backed up, and ghost images of my documents, my system drive and my fs9 installation, and a second external drive, which is not connected permanently, only for pure backup, which holds my most sensitive data (i.e. something i would kill for if it got lost...).

That is basically my current strategy. I have a third HDD that I only use for backup, and I both copy all my data to and use Vista backup so I don't rely only on a backup image. This way, I have files and image. My financials are kept on C, backed up to D and copied to E (E being my third HDD). After my last failure, I refuse to rely on an image or ghost.One of these days I'm going to invest in a NAS box (network accessed storage) with a five-drive RAID, but it won't be just for games. I want the laptops in my household (everyone but the dog has a computer now days) to be able to backup to the NAS, which will cover the photography my wife is getting serious about and the music my daughter collects. This is the strategy we use at the engineering company I work for.

Dan Downs KCRP