Sign in to follow this  
Guest JimWright

Water in FSX - Global Warming comes early!

Guest JimWright
Hong%20Kong.jpg

Excuse me if this problem has been discussed before - I have spent a lot of time looking through the forums but haven't found anything with exactly my problem.My problem is that the water level in FSX seems to be too high. If you look at the picture of Hong Kong you will see two areas. One is the Fly Tampa Kai Tak (fantastic scenery) which is fine and the other is the default scenery. You will see that some of the islands and some of the coast line has disseapeared because the water level appears to be too high - global warming perhaps? The outlines of the original coastline are visible but between the outline and where the coast actually appears there is water.I had this once before and the only solution was to remove and reinstall FSX. However I don't really want to do this if it can be avoided.Has anyone seen anything like this and does anyone have any idea about how to fix it?ThanksMalcolm Wright

Guest firehawk44
Hong%20Kong.jpg

Excuse me if this problem has been discussed before - I have spent a lot of time looking through the forums but haven't found anything with exactly my problem.My problem is that the water level in FSX seems to be too high. If you look at the picture of Hong Kong you will see two areas. One is the Fly Tampa Kai Tak (fantastic scenery) which is fine and the other is the default scenery. You will see that some of the islands and some of the coast line has disseapeared because the water level appears to be too high - global warming perhaps? The outlines of the original coastline are visible but between the outline and where the coast actually appears there is water.I had this once before and the only solution was to remove and reinstall FSX. However I don't really want to do this if it can be avoided.Has anyone seen anything like this and does anyone have any idea about how to fix it?ThanksMalcolm Wright

Make sure your mesh and texture resolution sliders are set as recommended by FlyTampa. These two scenery config settings will raise and lower textures on land. It might be a layering issue too. Make sure the FlyTampa scenery is set above any mesh or landclass addon program you may have installed. If no other program installed for this region, then it has to be the sliders. FlyTampa has an excellent forum and I would post this issue on their website too. I looked at the preview pictures of Kai Tak on their forum and saw no glitches there. The scenery, like you state, is fantastic but I don't fly in that region so I think it would be a waste of money for me to purchase.Best regards,Jim

this problem appears to be a mis-match between coastline files and water body files. For a sceenry addon to properly change the layout of islands/coasts, the scenery must:1. EXCLUDE the default shoreline2. EXCLUDE the default water bodies3. ADD new shorelines4. ADD new water bodiesLooking at your pix and the default files, it appears that the default shoreline and roads are showing, but not the default water bodies. Maybe the default shorelines should have been excluded.scott s..

Guest JimWright

Scott, Thanks for that. In case there is any confusion I don't think the Kai Tak scenery has anything to do with the problem. It just happens that I have been flying around Kai Tak a lot recently so I selected a picture of that for demonstration purposes as it shows both the problem and what water lines should be. It happens if I have Kai Tak activated or not. As I mentioned I have had this problem before and the problem was world wide. I will check today on other areas but I am pretty confident that it happens to all coast lines. Do you think that it is caused by an add on scenery? I have very little add on scenery in FSX - Kai Tak and Heathrow Extreme are all I can remember (At the moment I'm not near the machine I have FSX installed on.) ThanksMalcolm Wright

I don't know how yu can get that unless there are addon scenery files that are creating new water bodies. I don't know any slider or setting that can cause that with just default scenery.scott s..

From your screenshot it looks like you are running the FS2004 version of the scenery in FSX.To check, go into FSX/Addon Scenery/Addon Scenery/FlyTampa-HongKong/scenery/ and see if you have a file named "hk_photo_fsx_day.bgl"..If you installed the FS2004 version you'll find a file "hk_photo_fs9.bgl" instead. In that case get rid of the whole /FlyTampa-HongKong/ folder and reinstall the FSX version of HK, look at the Installer's filename for FSX or FS9.martinflytampa

See if you find this file (also from the FS2004 version):FSX\scenery\asia\scenery\HP978240_stripped.bglIf yes, delete it. That should restore the water to normal.martinflytampa