Sign in to follow this  
michaelohalloran

How to completely remove FSX?

How long ago was this, and what operating system where you running? Also whats the proper way to uninstall the pmdg 737ngx before uninstalling fsx if u know. Ive read add/remove programs in control panel, but there's a specific 737ngx uninstalation app on the pmdg misc downloads section so Im wondering if people are having problems with it or something like that. I just dont feel like spending another 70$ or having to wait forever to get a new key from them, so Im trying to see who has succesfully reinstalled thier 737ngx and what method they used.
A week ago when I reinstalled my complete FSX.The one in the sig.Only way I used was via uninstall panel in control panel. License is kept though. NGX wasn't working any more after I fiddled with it in P3D, then I tried FSX only again and it was broken. Wasn't able to repair via uninstall. As I installed FSX new, everything was OK. No reactivation was necessary, thus a conclusion: uninstallation doesn't remove the license.

sometimes i take the proverbial hammer to a crack a nut!, i just reformat the whole hard drive and start again! LOL

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest firehawk44
firehawk44 - Yeah pmdg states specifically on the support site that if u dont uninstall properly, your key wont get reset and you wont be able to activate it once reinstalled which makes sense because otherwise that would basically allow ppl to give the key to everyone they know. So again thats why I keep sweating which method I should use.
I seriously doubt this would happen through the add/remove program as the key is kept somewhere in the registry and elsewhere. Even if you reformatted your HD and reinstalled everything and your key didn't work, I would think a good commercial developer, like PMDG, would give you a new key immediately otherwise they risk losing future customers. I wouldn't worry about using the add/remove program. Best regards,Jim

I seriously doubt this would happen through the add/remove program as the key is kept somewhere in the registry and elsewhere. Even if you reformatted your HD and reinstalled everything and your key didn't work, I would think a good commercial developer, like PMDG, would give you a new key immediately otherwise they risk losing future customers. I wouldn't worry about using the add/remove program. Best regards,Jim
Good point, they are one hell of a company. After I uninstall and clean registry you say search HD for any stragglers and just wondering(computer noob obviously) do u mean use the little search line that is at the bottom of the start menu list. And type "FSX" and "Flight Simulator" in it and all the files it locates need to be deleted that arent clearly unrelated, like I have some internet shortcuts that appear for example that dont need deleted. Or am I searching the HD wrong? Ill let u know how I make out. Im wondering in general how you guys make a good computer to run fsx properly, is the financially smart way to just get a case and buy the components individually and upgrade components as better stuff comes out? And what is it that makes a game run and look good is it icore # or the ghz number if that makes any sense to anyone. I mean my laptop is almost new and if I turn the graphics up just enough to see the taxiway signs its like sketching out a bit. Thanks

Guest firehawk44
Good point, they are one hell of a company. After I uninstall and clean registry you say search HD for any stragglers and just wondering(computer noob obviously) do u mean use the little search line that is at the bottom of the start menu list. And type "FSX" and "Flight Simulator" in it and all the files it locates need to be deleted that arent clearly unrelated, like I have some internet shortcuts that appear for example that dont need deleted. Or am I searching the HD wrong? Ill let u know how I make out. Im wondering in general how you guys make a good computer to run fsx properly, is the financially smart way to just get a case and buy the components individually and upgrade components as better stuff comes out? And what is it that makes a game run and look good is it icore # or the ghz number if that makes any sense to anyone. I mean my laptop is almost new and if I turn the graphics up just enough to see the taxiway signs its like sketching out a bit. Thanks
There are a lot of hidden folders that don't get deleted. Doing a search may find many of them. But Google is your friend. I would go to Google.com and type in the search bar, 'how do i uninstall fsx'. You'll receive a ton of links that tell you exactly how it is done. Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
Im wondering in general how you guys make a good computer to run fsx properly, is the financially smart way to just get a case and buy the components individually and upgrade components as better stuff comes out? And what is it that makes a game run and look good is it icore # or the ghz number if that makes any sense to anyone. I mean my laptop is almost new and if I turn the graphics up just enough to see the taxiway signs its like sketching out a bit. Thanks
FSX runs great on my I7 2600K desktop system with a 30" monitor. I think FSX looks best on a desktop rather than a laptop. It looks even better in 3D on a 3D compatible monitor!! Look over in the Hardware Forum here on AVSIM and you'll see a lot of discussions regarding the best system to get or put together. Best regards,Jim

A week ago when I reinstalled my complete FSX.The one in the sig.Only way I used was via uninstall panel in control panel. License is kept though. NGX wasn't working any more after I fiddled with it in P3D, then I tried FSX only again and it was broken. Wasn't able to repair via uninstall. As I installed FSX new, everything was OK. No reactivation was necessary, thus a conclusion: uninstallation doesn't remove the license.
The PC u list in the blue writing, did u build that 1 component at a time? And not including the acceseries like keyboard/joystick/mouse/monitor, how much did that cost roughly? firehawk - google and I arent the best of friends yet, I type something in and get 14 million links and it seems like everyone I click on is someone in a forum asking the question Im wondering and the response is always someone telling them "google is your friend" so its a cycle of frustration for people like me who got to the PC party a few years late. I must say you fellas on this avsim site have been so very patient and helpfull to me and again thanks for that. For others who are new to computers or are scared your gonna screw something up, fsx support will do the entire un/reinstall for you on your computer while you watch and talk on the phone with them. Aside from a strong middle eastern accent the guy was very nice and did everything I needed all they need is a legit fsx license key.

The PC u list in the blue writing, did u build that 1 component at a time? And not including the acceseries like keyboard/joystick/mouse/monitor, how much did that cost roughly?
Depending which components. I upgrade what is needed. Sometimes buy storage, sometimes system (=MB, CPU, RAM, GPU), or maybe without GPU, but GPU upgrade later, watercooling was separate, I had air before that - that happened in 2006. But it has been changed on the way, depending on hardware, some components stayed from the old.I'd say the basic stuff cost around €1500.- (Case, PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD, DVD)

Depending which components. I upgrade what is needed. Sometimes buy storage, sometimes system (=MB, CPU, RAM, GPU), or maybe without GPU, but GPU upgrade later, watercooling was separate, I had air before that - that happened in 2006. But it has been changed on the way, depending on hardware, some components stayed from the old.I'd say the basic stuff cost around €1500.- (Case, PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD, DVD)
LOL when I read your response in the email page I was very happy to see the 1500 figure because there was no symbol in front of it so I thought it was dollars which was exactly what im ready to spend. I came to the actual post here to respond and saw the pound or maybe euro symbol meaning i must roughly double the 1500 figure to translate it to dollars....OUCH!!! Im starting from scratch I dont even have a case yet and know nothing about building a gaming pc. From the products Ive been looking at the 5Ghz is way higher than all the i7 components I see listed. Do you modify something to get to that 5Ghz figure or did u buy it like that? Is that what I keep hearing ppl refer to as overclocking? Is the i7 a must have for a high end gaming machine? Any suggestions you could give me for a gaming machine build starting from scratch with 1500-2000 USD? Thanks bro

LOL when I read your response in the email page I was very happy to see the 1500 figure because there was no symbol in front of it so I thought it was dollars which was exactly what im ready to spend. I came to the actual post here to respond and saw the pound or maybe euro symbol meaning i must roughly double the 1500 figure to translate it to dollars....OUCH!!! Im starting from scratch I dont even have a case yet and know nothing about building a gaming pc. From the products Ive been looking at the 5Ghz is way higher than all the i7 components I see listed. Do you modify something to get to that 5Ghz figure or did u buy it like that? Is that what I keep hearing ppl refer to as overclocking? Is the i7 a must have for a high end gaming machine? Any suggestions you could give me for a gaming machine build starting from scratch with 1500-2000 USD? Thanks bro
Yeah, that's overclocking.With this topic, I suggest you go over to the hardware forum, hardware is being discussed there, no in the FSX forum.http://forum.avsim.net/forum/326-mobo-ram-cpus-other-hardware/Post there, and I'll be happy to answer along with many other hardware-interested guys.And before you do, make sure you DO check some similar topics, cuz there are basically zillion topics on the same subject - what to buy.

And in the end, I suggest using Windows Install CleanUp, it removes entries that are invisible to you but prevent you from installing FSX new (sometimes).You can run it and remove anything you find in connection to FSX and FSX itself.http://www.pcwelt.de...ity-557997.html

Yesterday I needed to reinstall my FSX with all my addon in it. This program helped me very much. I really could not start the install program until I used the Windows Install CleanUp.I did not uninstall the addons! I just moved some dirrectories like effects, modules, simobjects, sound, textures and sceneries... outside of FSX struction. I backuped my account FSX folders and then I made my FSX installation and then moved the folders back. Yeah it works!