Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Tool For Removing Obsolete Gauges

In FS9 there were certainly a couple apps that did this task.Any idea where I can find any for FSX?Thank you

You may have noticed a shift in the policy regarding the location of gauges in FSX. In FS9 most gauges were installed in the gauge folder which resulted in a folder containing several thousand gauge files, and the problem of how to make sense of the increasing chaos.But this allocation flaw seems to have been corrected in FSX. Most gauges are now located in the panel folders of individual aircraft which makes them easier to uninstall, and keep track of the ones which are not being used. Most installers seem to install their gauge files in this location. Gauges are simply removed when an airplane is uninstalled, and it is now much easier to investigate which files in the gauge folder are no longer being used.I don't know of an app which keeps track of gauges in FSX, but you may find that one isn't necessary anyway.

Mike Beckwith

Gauges are simply removed when an airplane is uninstalled, and it is now much easier to investigate which files in the gauge folder are no longer being used.
But the above is only so if an installer has been used. Most the aircraft i've removed simply had zip files, where the gauges went to the FS gauge folder.I have many, probably hundreds of unused guages.In FS9, there was a little application, here on Avsim, called 'Gauge Dr' or Dr Gauge', but after many searches I cannot find it :(

You may have noticed a shift in the policy regarding the location of gauges in FSX. In FS9 most gauges were installed in the gauge folder which resulted in a folder containing several thousand gauge files, and the problem of how to make sense of the increasing chaos.But this allocation flaw seems to have been corrected in FSX.
Just as a "point of order," this facility to have the gauges in the ..\panel folder has existed since FS9 was released. That most folks never bothered to take advantage of it is unfortunate... :( FS Panel Studio has such a facility for isolating/archiving unused gauges.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Do files uploaded to Avsim get deleted after a time?I just don't understand the Gauge Dr's went to. There several for FS9

Do files uploaded to Avsim get deleted after a time?
No, they do not, unless requested by the author to do so.

No, they do not, unless requested by the author to do so.
OK, thanks Tom.Guess I'll just keep searthing and hope that one day it'll pop it's head up :(