Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mower

Cannot add scenery in FSX

Guest Mower

What happens is I navigate to the correct folder but when I high lite and click okay it just opens the folder, it doesnt add the scenery at this point.It's a payware add-on for FSX, Blueprints new CYYZ, they do not have a forum of their own.Any help please, this has happened with other add-on scenery in the past so I know it's a FSX problem.

Generally the scenery library does that when there are no BGL files to be found in the \scenery sub-folder.

Guest Mower

Curious, is there a known fix for this if so?

I dunno? Did you check to make sure the BGL files are sitting in the \scenery sub-folder that you're trying to add? If there are no BGL files then the scenery library is still waiting for you to tell it where they are.

Guest Mower

There's a whack of BGL files in the folder so I dunno.

Don't the bgl files go in the addon scenery/scenery file and then when you activate fsx the new scenery builds automaticly. The only time u would add a folder is if there was a scenery and texture subfolder right?

Guest kwilson

What FSX is looking for is a "scenery" folder with at least one .bgl file in it. The file structure you need would be something like this:Addon Scenery Scenery Texture Blueprint CYYZ (I don't know the exact name for this folder) Scenery (at least one .bgl file but will probably contain more) Texture (a bunch of .dds or .bmp files) Another Airport (fictional name) Scenery (.bgl file for Another Airport) Texture (another airport .bmp and .dds files)When you select the Blueprint CYYZ folder FSX should display the name "Blueprint CYYZ" if it is valid.Warren: It is not a good idea to add .bgl files into the addon scenery/scenery folder for the following reasons. 1, you may accidentally overwrite something already there (not all developers use unique names), 2, it is best practice to keep scenery folders separated by region, 3 uninstalling becomes almost impossible. I'd only put a .bgl into the addon scenery/scenery folder if it was a single .bgl file which you could easily identify what it does.

What FSX is looking for is a "scenery" folder with at least one .bgl file in it. The file structure you need would be something like this:Addon Scenery Scenery Texture Blueprint CYYZ (I don't know the exact name for this folder) Scenery (at least one .bgl file but will probably contain more) Texture (a bunch of .dds or .bmp files) Another Airport (fictional name) Scenery (.bgl file for Another Airport) Texture (another airport .bmp and .dds files)When you select the Blueprint CYYZ folder FSX should display the name "Blueprint CYYZ" if it is valid.Warren: It is not a good idea to add .bgl files into the addon scenery/scenery folder for the following reasons. 1, you may accidentally overwrite something already there (not all developers use unique names), 2, it is best practice to keep scenery folders separated by region, 3 uninstalling becomes almost impossible. I'd only put a .bgl into the addon scenery/scenery folder if it was a single .bgl file which you could easily identify what it does.
Thanks for the info partner

Guest Mower

Thanx for the replies KWilson.The path is...F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\BluePrint Simulations\CYYZAfter CYYZ there is docs, scenery, texture. When I hilite CYYZ and try to click okay it just goes into thise sub foldrs instead of adding the CYYZ and going back to the FSX scenery library page. When I search for .bgl files within CYYZ I get ~20 of them.So darned if I know the problem.

You're going too far down. You need to hit OKAY before you see the Scenery and Texture folders. So just highlight the CYYZ folder and click OK. DO NOT double click, or you'll enter the folder and it won't work.This behaviour is different from FS9, and takes a little getting used to.

Guest Mower
You're going too far down. You need to hit OKAY before you see the Scenery and Texture folders. So just highlight the CYYZ folder and click OK. DO NOT double click, or you'll enter the folder and it won't work.This behaviour is different from FS9, and takes a little getting used to.
Actually that is what I am doing but it still drops into the CYYZ folder.Now you see why this is so puzzling.

Guest kwilson

Odd indeed.here is a screenshot from my system showing the file organization for FTXAA_YMAV (which is how it appear in the scenery library). If you can post a similar screenshot for CYYZ maybe that may help figure out what is going wrong.

What happens is I navigate to the correct folder but when I high lite and click okay it just opens the folder, it doesn't add the scenery at this point.It's a payware add-on for FSX, Blueprints new CYYZ, they do not have a forum of their own.Any help please, this has happened with other add-on scenery in the past so I know it's a FSX problem.
I suspect that you are using VISTA. I have seen the same problem with my VISTA 64. It has to do with the view setting of your folders. I am not able to check right now but if i remember correctly when you navigate to the scenery folder make sure that that folder view setting is set to details or list, cant remember which. Experiment with the various settings till it works. I believe this anomaly is a bug with vista or FSX.Robin

Robin

Actually that is what I am doing but it still drops into the CYYZ folder.Now you see why this is so puzzling.
When it drops into the CYYZ folder, right click anywhere in the white pane. If its the same problem that I have adding any scenery, then it should add it to the library.Alex