Sign in to follow this  
Guest keiron

Solution for high memory usage

I'm tempted to give this a try although I also am of the belief that most memory managers are typically snake oil. However, I run FSX on a QX9650, 4G mem, 8800GT 500M on Vista64 using Alicriity and while I don't generally get OOM crashes, I do on regular occasions after a very overnight long haul arrive at my destination to find jetways but no terminal buildings. Has anyone tried this under Vista64 and do you think it might help address my disappearing terminal buildings issue?

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Guest keiron
Memeory managers have been around for years, and anybody from Microsoft will tell you they do nothing substantive...the best memory manger remains windoze itself AFAIK.
As far as you know right?
The idea that Microsoft is so incompetent as to leave some sort of massive flaw in the OS's memory management system and that it can be solved using a tiny freeware utility is pretty questionable logic to me...
Is that sarcasm directed @ Microsoft? :(

I do on regular occasions after a very overnight long haul arrive at my destination to find jetways but no terminal buildings.
I get that too even with short-haul 90+ minute flights, I think its down to not having enough Video RAM on the GPU so this memory manager would be totally useless as I'm sure it doesn't even touch the Graphics card. I too only have 512Mb of VRAM and will definitely get a 1Gb card next time.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest keiron

...and there we have it gents, an ongoing problem with certain users getting OOM,s or just general high virtual memory usage whilst using FS. I've seen plenty of posts within this PMDG support forum where Tab's or other users have clearly stated (again and again) that 64bit O/S is the way to go and I agree, they're certainly right as well.For the less fortunate users that cannot obtain a 64bit O/S or more RAM, there still remains the same problem for some. However when a possible solution is suggested to try out, it's like people are quick to run in there negative style, all guns blazing, protesting to "stop the madness", shooting it down without even looking into it first. What's all that about? What's your aim?Oh let me guess, you think i'm wasting your time with more spam to fill the boards. Ive got it all wrong and you've heard it all before from your mate Dave or whatever. Well sorry lads, sorry to waste your time or disgust you because you clicked on something you thought might be good enough or politically correct for you to read.Well I guess to the simmers that this topic is actually applicable to; you've got three choices really. Sit there and question the logic, with a "what if it don't work"... "has anybody tried it will it make my PC blow up" stance. Or try it out. Or wait for a solution posted up by somebody more reputable like a forum admin.Good luck, hope this program helps like it did me and others. For the ones that have tried it and have had results, glad I've helped you in some way. :(

...and there we have it gents, an ongoing problem with certain users getting OOM,s or just general high virtual memory usage whilst using FS. I've seen plenty of posts within this PMDG support forum where Tab's or other users have clearly stated (again and again) that 64bit O/S is the way to go and I agree, they're certainly right as well.For the less fortunate users that cannot obtain a 64bit O/S or more RAM, there still remains the same problem for some. However when a possible solution is suggested to try out, it's like people are quick to run in there negative style, all guns blazing, protesting to "stop the madness", shooting it down without even looking into it first. What's all that about? What's your aim?Oh let me guess, you think i'm wasting your time with more spam to fill the boards. Ive got it all wrong and you've heard it all before from your mate Dave or whatever. Well sorry lads, sorry to waste your time or disgust you because you clicked on something you thought might be good enough or politically correct for you to read.Well I guess to the simmers that this topic is actually applicable to; you've got three choices really. Sit there and question the logic, with a "what if it don't work"... "has anybody tried it will it make my PC blow up" stance. Or try it out. Or wait for a solution posted up by somebody more reputable like a forum admin.Good luck, hope this program helps like it did me and others. For the ones that have tried it and have had results, glad I've helped you in some way. :(
I tried it, and it is working very good for me. I do long hauls, using the PMDG 747-400... I am using Vista 64, 4Gigs ram, 2 500Gig HD's in Raid0 , Q 6600 CPU, P5Q deluxe MB. Thanks for sharing the info., I'll pass it on to others.Cheers,Jerry

Keiron, you got it basically wrong. The "negative" posts as you call them, are not there against you. They are FOR other users, to help them understand technically whats behind the scenes, at least I try to post in that manner - some might have an opinion its not working, some otherwise, but thats the nature of all forums, its an open place for people to discuss new things, and that is the ONLY way to come up with a better solution. Imagine noone said anything, and even everyone saying its working out - there would be no need for improvement.

I get that too even with short-haul 90+ minute flights, I think its down to not having enough Video RAM on the GPU so this memory manager would be totally useless as I'm sure it doesn't even touch the Graphics card. I too only have 512Mb of VRAM and will definitely get a 1Gb card next time.
Hi,I installed the program yesterday and tried it out on the Level-D 767, because this one would give me a CTD every time in FSX after a few minutes.After the installation of this program the CTD is gone, and it seems like the switching between screens etc is faster. (I fave Vista-32 with 3 Gb of mem).I will keep you posted and my sincere thanks for your advice!!Happy landings,Wijnand (EHBK)

I only loose the terminal buildings after a 90+ minute flight when I'm using an add-on aircraft like the MD-11 with lots of panels and high quality textures. The Level-D 767 doesn't cause this issue on my setup which includes Vista 64 and 4Gb RAM.

Cheers, Andy.

I only loose the terminal buildings after a 90+ minute flight when I'm using an add-on aircraft like the MD-11 with lots of panels and high quality textures. The Level-D 767 doesn't cause this issue on my setup which includes Vista 64 and 4Gb RAM.
Is this FS9 or FSX?? Did you check if your exe is large address aware, and also did you check the virtual memory usage with process explorer... if this looks green, then there is something else at stake.

However when a possible solution is suggested to try out, it's like people are quick to run in there negative style, all guns blazing, protesting to "stop the madness", shooting it down without even looking into it first. What's all that about? What's your aim?
Reading through the thread, Melkor and Tabs have clearly looked at the link and take time to carefully argue their points. You, on the other hand, go immediately into rant-mode rather than respond to the points they raise. What's all that about? What's your aim?

Is this FS9 or FSX?? Did you check if your exe is large address aware, and also did you check the virtual memory usage with process explorer... if this looks green, then there is something else at stake.
FSX. Its not a main memory issue or virtual memory issue which is fixed at 8Gb by the way, I've already said its most likely a lack of VRAM and maxed out settings in FSX.

Cheers, Andy.

FSX. Its not a main memory issue or virtual memory issue which is fixed at 8Gb by the way, I've already said its most likely a lack of VRAM and maxed out settings in FSX.
If you are sure that your VM is ok, then my 2nd guess would be VRAM. Why yon't you lower the settings in FSX?

Because it only does it with the MD-11, every other add-on aircraft including the LD767 is fine. To be honest I just save and reload the the sim just after I've exited the runway so as to get the best of both worlds, fortunately panel save states work perfectly for me with the MD-11.

Cheers, Andy.

I didn't have much luck with Vista 32 and 64. My Pc is high end. I did have same OOM problems with Vista 64 please below MD-11X picture.I am not PC expert but, I followed up the logic. I think I found the solution. Actually solution was always there but I was keep ignored.Problem is with FSX DX: 9 MODE.Vista 64 operates with DX:10, MY high-end graphic cards Nvidia GTX 280 is DX:10. Our problem we are trying to put FSX DX9 between to DX:10 modes. Therefore we are getting many graphic/sceneries and OOM problems.When I realized what happening. I switched FSX DX9 mode to DX:10, and now,l three DX10 are connected (Vista 64+Nvidia GX 280+ FSX Dx:10) NO MOORE OOM or any other problems and performance also perfect. (Tthere are some minor problems with DX:10 , some Airports and planes are not DX:10 mode and Nav lights some times will not work)It is very simple solution try it, if it works for you.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I've never seen anything like that with the MD-11, saying that though I've never owned an Nvidia graphics card either. DX10 is fully backwards compatible with DX9 so it isn't anything to do with that. DX10 preview mode in FSX breaks many more things than just a few planes, it's called a preview for a reason. The very worst thing about DX10 preview mode though is that AA doesn't work at all in windowed mode. I fully expect my problems to go away when I upgrade to a card with 1 Gig of VRAM.

Cheers, Andy.