Sign in to follow this  
Guest keiron

Solution for high memory usage

Interesting fact is that only users replying are users with very little posts... (i.e. newcomers...)And Keiron, if you would stop being so ignorant, you would reread your post, specifically:"Usually my flightsim would be using between 1gig -1.3gig or RAM and slowly creaping up to 1.4gig in worst case scenarios before OOM."Some users took this tool as a solution to OOMs:"2. It solved the OOM problem. So people do not have to use windows 3GB patch which may cause some problem with certain add-ons.""Another chance for me to return to flying my PMDG 744 Luffi back to Frankfurt without OOMs."So, apart from that it lowers Working Set, which it really does, it is not a solution to OOMs, I think you should have stated that in your original post, AT LEAST.I'm off of this post, since I have stated the fact.I wish you the best of luck with it.

Guest cliffie1931
PMDG Simmers! Keiron here,Over the past week i've being trialing out this new software that frees up memory. It's so good that on average I have over 900mb RAM free and memory load has literaly halfed! That's whilst sitting @ busy airports or approaching with ASA & PMDG 744 or MD-11 never mind flying!.Yep in the past there's been alot of debate about memory cleaners and optimises wether they really work. Well i'm not even gonna go down that lane because this one bloody works! Usually my flightsim would be using between 1gig -1.3gig or RAM and slowly creaping up to 1.4gig in worst case scenarios before OOM. Either that or i'd be left with about 90 -220mb RAM left, fluctuating in certain flightsim conditions.Anyway if you've had similar experience then I'd highly recommend checking it out. It's called "CleanMem"http://www.pcwintech.com/node/145After reading on the web page how it works, I quickly installed it, tested it over a few days and yeah it does exactly what it says on the tin.
Thanks for the tip Keiron. I'm also going to try it.Cliff

2) Use 64bit system with fs9.exe that can use it (large address aware)
Hey Word Not Allowed, is there really a modified FS9.exe thats 64bit? if so where can i get it, or what shall i do? Cause my next system will be a 64bit

Guest keiron
Interesting fact is that only users replying are users with very little posts... (i.e. newcomers...)And Keiron, if you would stop being so ignorant, you would reread your post, specifically:"Usually my flightsim would be using between 1gig -1.3gig or RAM and slowly creaping up to 1.4gig in worst case scenarios before OOM."Some users took this tool as a solution to OOMs:"2. It solved the OOM problem. So people do not have to use windows 3GB patch which may cause some problem with certain add-ons.""Another chance for me to return to flying my PMDG 744 Luffi back to Frankfurt without OOMs."So, apart from that it lowers Working Set, which it really does, it is not a solution to OOMs, I think you should have stated that in your original post, AT LEAST.I'm off of this post, since I have stated the fact.I wish you the best of luck with it.
LOL Ahhh come on Word Not Allowed lets not avoid the fact that it was just YOU who took the topic the wrong way just because I mentioned the word "OOM" in a sentence, you got excited then you went around the world in 80 days on it. You basically sat there and looked for drama that really did not exist within my post, got twisted with your own jargon and then proved to me that it really does lower memory usage during flightsimming. I'm amazed that you're still picking through my post trying to find fault? It's entertaining, I give you that. There's nothing to "win" here though.BTW let us know what results you get once you completed that flight if you have some spare time. I know you like the software as well, I can tell :(Also just because these "newcomers" as you call them, who have very few little posts, its doesn't mean they're new to flightsimming, newbs or even flying with PMDG jets with addons now does it... Nope, thought not.No hard feelings at all though, I was just sayin'....

Guest Ed Lin

Speaking only for myself and my setup.Not a PMDG aircraft in this case, but the Wilco E-Jet series. I always save my completed flight situation with a default plane. With the e-jets, I have ALWAYS experienced a CTD when selecting say, the e-170 to the default Learjet or any default plane in which to save my situation with. The only way I'd be able to get around this situation that could always be repeated, was to rebuild my page file prior to launching FS9. That is, setting the page file to "0" for the drive, rebooting, then selecting "System Managed" after the reload.I no longer seem to have to do that since installing this little gem. Thank you. Oh...and I'm not a newbie by any means, being a simmer since the FS5.0 days roughly 12 years ago.Ed Lin, D.O.S.

We installed and used this tool at our own risk, right?To people who felt that this tool is not useful, please calm down and be wise...You may try install it yourself.. and if you don't like it.. just uninstall... as simple as that, doesn't it?I found this tool is very useful to handle and throw out the unused memory from memory leaks (which can cause OOM) that came from FS9's or it's add-on's bugs.Final word... again.. just try it... if you don't like... just uninstall it... and if you find it useful... you are a lucky simmer.. :DWasono

Guest lgvpilot1

Kerion I have yet to try this app , but I have followed this whole saga with great interest!!When anyone posts a suggestion for improving the sim , or any game for that matter , there are always people who are prepared to play devils advocate , that is a fact of life and can be a good thing, but dont take it personally Read the page you yourself posted , the guy who wrote this app defends it every day As Wasono said "just try it... if you don't like... just uninstall it... and if you find it useful... you are a lucky simmer.. :D"QUOTE (Word Not Allowed @ Mar 24 2009, 12:01 AM) post_snapback.gifInteresting fact is that only users replying are users with very little posts... (i.e. newcomers...)I only have 400 posts so my opinion may not be validMark

Nice one, Keiron. I don't need it because on my Vista x64 OS i don't get any OOM errors. But i can see this is helping lots of other people.Forgive the ones that always think they know best, i like to call them the pseudo-gurus. They always have a word against something that was found by other people.They are everywhere, and always will be.Thanks for posting this, because I KNOW people who are very happy campers now.Cheers.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

It has been stated by several quite clearly why that cleanmem does nothing to reduce the virtual memory size. On an unpatched system (talking about the himem switch for the OS and the FS_.exe), the application WILL quit with an OOM error when the virtual memory size reaches or threatens to reach 2Gb. That is a fact and needs not be discussed.As such, cleanmem will have no direct effect on an application running out of memory. The only way to solve that one is to go for the himem switch (which works exceptionally well on some systems, mine included, both offline and online, as FS9.exe now has access to 2560Mb or 2.5Gb address space, and has not OOM'ed on me once since I set the switch).It remains to be discussed whether cleanmem, by continuous clean up of the working set, can have an effect on perhaps halting the growth of the virtual memory size... If so, then cleanmem may have an indirect effect, which leads to a reduction in OOMs...For those who have benefitted from this, thanks to the original poster... for those who see no benefit in this, there is no point bashing because some people do not fully understand the concepts and technology associated with memory use, both physical and virtual. Points have been made, and concepts explained (thanks particularly to Word Not Allowed for the screenshots...), perhaps we can now move on?Andrew

Sorry to say that altough I was sceptic about this application I gave it a try, trying the same flight thate gave me an OOM two days ago... and well, the result is still OOM approaching EDDF :( ... Indeed the virtual memory size keeps growing, as already supposed, so when it reaches the limit allocated to user session there will still be OOM errors.....RegardsStefano Rossi

users with very little posts... (i.e. newcomers...)I only have 400 posts so my opinion may not be validMark
Well, I was thinking of report my experience with cleanmem, but having less than 100 posts... I guess I'll give up... :(

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Sorry to say that altough I was sceptic about this application I gave it a try, trying the same flight thate gave me an OOM two days ago... and well, the result is still OOM approaching EDDF :( ... Indeed the virtual memory size keeps growing, as already supposed, so when it reaches the limit allocated to user session there will still be OOM errors.....RegardsStefano Rossi
11 posts? Guess your opinion doesn't count.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

11 posts? Guess your opinion doesn't count.
LOL you're right =) ..... and I guess that 10 years of flight simming and a Microsoft certification in system administration don't count either :( Ok then, I will write one thousand posts with just 1 smiley each, and then post again here :(Stefano

You are not alone with disappearing textures. It looks like exactly the same symptoms as those described ad nauseam on this forum a few months ago - particularly when "tabbing" from windowed to non-windowed mode, or accessing menus, and particularly when flying near dense scenery areas - and only in the PMDG models (747X and MD11X), so far as anyone could tell. It's a problem in 64-bit as well as 32-bit operating systems. Nobody could track down the problem, though there were several false dawns (including several from me!) So far as I am aware, there has never been a response from PMDG.Tim

LOL you're right =) ..... and I guess that 10 years of flight simming and a Microsoft certification in system administration don't count either :( Ok then, I will write one thousand posts with just 1 smiley each, and then post again here :(Stefano
I was hoping you to take my comment as a joke, since i wasn't one of those who said people with few posts couldn't have an opinion.Tell that to them. :(

Alvega