Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

Does VSync work with your ATI 4870?

Hi Guys, I can't get VSync to work under Windows 7 with my 4870 1 GB graphics card. I had hoped the new 9.3 version of the Catalyst drivers would fix this, but not so!Under XP VSync always worked, at least the first time I ran FSX after booting, although not if I quit the sim and reloaded it.Has anyone been able to get VSync to work at all with an ATI 4870 under Windows 7 or Vista?Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Hi Guys, I can't get VSync to work under Windows 7 with my 4870 1 GB graphics card. I had hoped the new 9.3 version of the Catalyst drivers would fix this, but not so!Under XP VSync always worked, at least the first time I ran FSX after booting, although not if I quit the sim and reloaded it.Has anyone been able to get VSync to work at all with an ATI 4870 under Windows 7 or Vista?Cheers,Noel.
Noel,Are you talking about using Vsync with DX9 or DX10 under Windows 7 or Vista? If your running under DX10 mode it will always be off because FSX is under direct control of configuring the video driver (and you cannot force it on). If you are running under DX9 you will have to configure your driver to force Vsync ON and it should work fine.......been a while since I've been in the Catalyst Control Panel so I cannot help you there.

Thanks for your reply! I don't see VSync under DX9 or DX10. The question is, do folks running Vista have the same problem? Or is this a bug in W7? Or is this just my graphics card not working properly? I was having issues with VSync even in XP, so the latter is possible. I'd like to know if anyone is having the same issue under W7 or Vista...Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Noel,As I said earlier, FSX can be run in DX10 preview mode under Windows 7 or Vista and it can be run in DX9 mode under Windows 7 and Vista. If you run FSX in DX10 preview mode Vsync will NEVER work. It will not work on any video card because FSX controls the Vsync setting which is set to off (under DX10 this setting cannot be over ridden in any way shape or form as it is hard coded into FSX).If on the other hand you are running FSX in DX9 mode under Windows 7 or Vista, in your ATI Catalyst Control Panel you must enable the setting Wait for Vertical Sync (which is the same as enabling Vsync on a Nvidia based card). It seems from what I read, there are many ATI users complaining of issues of image tearing which normally equates to a Vsync problem. Supposedly the Vsync issue was corrected for many in the Catalyst 9.2 release.If you do not enable Vsync in the ATI driver as explained above, you most defintely will not have Vsync. This goes for XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Yep, I have VSync enabled in the Catalyst drivers as you described and under DX9 I still have screen tearing in FSX. I was hoping someone would be able to say if it is related to the operating system (is it only an issue in W7), or if no-one can get VSync to work with an ATI card in FSX under Vista then the only choice is to go back to an nVidia card.Thanks for your help!Noel.

Guest UlfB
Yep, I have VSync enabled in the Catalyst drivers as you described and under DX9 I still have screen tearing in FSX. I was hoping someone would be able to say if it is related to the operating system (is it only an issue in W7), or if no-one can get VSync to work with an ATI card in FSX under Vista then the only choice is to go back to an nVidia card.Thanks for your help!Noel.
FSX Vsync only works in full screen mode, not in windowed mode. This is with my nVIDIA card and I suppose this is a general behaviour of FSX on XP, Vista and 7.

After doing a little research, the answer seems to be that the ATI 4870 cannot run VSync under the standard Catalyst drivers in Vista or W7. However, there is a untility called D3D Overrider bundled with RivaTuner that does seem to work with FSX. At least it worked for me! RivaTuner can be downloaded from Guru3d.com. The net is littered with people asking why ATI can't provide drivers with VSync functionality, yet a third party, most probably with far fewer resources, can.Cheers,Noel.