Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Are we spoiled by the flightsims?

Hello fellow enthusiasts!I often enjoy browsing through the many excellent threads at PPRUNE. When I read the one below I started to wonder how often we that are not flying various types of aircraft in the real world become annoyed/upset/very angry when we think we detect strange behaviour in the airplanes in FS. There have been plenty of topics where people with more or less experince point out how bad some aspect of an aircrafts behaviour have been rendered in FS. I suppose that often the critique is justified, but a lot of times it seems that people are simply expecting that any plane behaves the same as any other (and that it should behave just like a car ;) ). Often a pilot with knowledge steps in to clear up the questions and misconceptions.Now to my question. Dfferent things in the real world, especially things that contain software (see attached thread), seem to have their little quirks (sp?). How would YOU react if the plane you are tossing around in the virtual skies simulated such things (as real as it gets)? Would you embrace the reality and take it as a challenge? Or would you say to yourself "Hey, I get enough of this kind of s**t from WIN98 (or other annoying object of your choice, such as office printers), let me enjoy this plane in pease as it should be!"?PS. When you read the thread below, please remember that I did not post this as a "Aircraft A vs. aircraft B"-kind of thread! DShttp://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.ph...w+down+airspeed

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest pez_man

Yeah, before I found PPRUNE on the net a couple of weeks ago, I too thought that everything in "the real world" worked pretty flawlessly, but the more you read that seems further and further from the truth! It will be fun to see how PMDG:s NG autopilot will work! :-)/fredrik

Guest crashing_pilot

but i do enjoy flying my dash 7 to spec's...the thread you referred to makes me scared of flying ;-) (yup,10 years of simming,27yo,and i've never flown....except for the one time i took a dive of the stairs ;-) )..i think all the planes basically handle the same in fs though...although i've had my strange "what the ##### is it doin'now" moments,once you learn to fly you can handle all of them...and i don't think it's like that in the real world.there is no such thing as a perfect machine,it will always be built by people,and people make mistakes.my 2 cents