Sign in to follow this  
Kappie

Unable to get SimConnect work (step 5 of install)

I run FSX DeLuxe on a server on Vista (64). I have two other PC's on XP running project magenta PFD/ND. They work superb through FSUIPC. Getting sick of the wind changes and other meteorological surprises I desided to buy ASA. I installed everything by the book on another networked (notebook) XP PC that is planned to become a pmInstuctorStation later among other things, like vRoute, Jeppesen SimCharts and ASA. From that notebook I can access, read, write where ASA is supposed to do that (on the Server); I installed the SimConnect Client, but then...Step 5 (page 52) of the ASA manual made me do the AI Traffic test, but that didn't work. I have six hours behind be checking, re-checking, and double checking, but so far AI Traffic exits faster then lightning. Of course I did try to start ASA. I have seen ASA files in the /FSX directory and there is some activity in the log during ASA startup, but I keep on getting the SDK SP1 SP2 error message. When I run AI Traffic nothing happens in the logChecking the register I found that there is no entry for the FSXMyDocsPath, but my guess is that SimConnect is real the problem. I uninstalled and re-installed SDK SP2, but no change.I sincerely hope there is something else I can check, test, and do before going through a complete re-install of FSX and all add-ons. A detailed description of my B737-800 hardware/software is on http://www.b737sim.nl/components.html Help will be very much appreciated.

Hi,I would look at your simconnect.cfg/xml files and make sure those are in the correct places and contain the correct data.Your experiences with the AI Traffic program point to this area.Please let us know.Thanks,

Hi Jim,Attached you will find pictures of my Servers ipconfig, xml and ini files and the clients cfg file together with their locations. You can also see that the server locations are all shared. I checked everything again but AI Traffic won't run.Dirk

Hi,The Ai Traffic utility is running and looks to be seeing your AI Traffic. What happens if you run AS now?Thanks,

Hi,Sorry Jim, you might have got me wrong. The AI Traffic program does NOT run. This what I did:I started FSX on the Server, waited until the opening screen was there; did not yet hit the FLY NOW button;then I started the AI Traffic program on the client which aborted within less then a second; NO 'Connected with FS' message whatsoever;then I started ASA on the client which, after a while, gave me the SimConnect SP2 Not Found message;then I hit OK, waited for the initializing to be completed and exit the program the normal way.After that I hit the FLY NOW button, waited for FSX to become active, tested the AI Traffic again with the same result.In both cases the logfile display shows no action when AI Traffic or ASA comes alive.As I said before, I uninstalled an re-installed SDK SP2 a few days ago. That didn't help.In the picture below you see the explorer window of the Client. My rough guess is that this problem has something to do with some protectionism of Vista on the server, which is why both, AI Traffic and ASA can't get through everywhere it should. Now, I am no expert on Vista, but logical thinking and (although it ended some time ago) 25 years in IT brought me everywhere so far (I mean before the Vista arrived).When I installed project magenta, I shared the Flightpan folder and the folder which holds fsx.exe on the server. From that moment on I could see both appearing under 'My Networklocations' (green arrows) on every computer in the network.When I shared the users\b747sim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\ folder there was not such an entry, although there is a 'users op PC_van_b737sim' entry.Through explorer (from the client) I can reaad, write and access the shared location, but is no guarantee the SimConnect Client can do the same.So on the Client I created the three network connections (red box). But that didn't help either.

Hi,I don't know what the AI Traffic window says because it is not in English, but if it just shuts down, then you are right, things are not correct.I would not look at your shares, but at the communication level between your 2 computers. Things like the simconnect.cfg and the xml files, your firewall settings on both machines, any anti-virus running, things like that, that could be blocking the communication.Also, remember that you need the SDKs: SP1, SP1A, and SP2.SimConnect ends up on the client machine in the end also.Thanks,

Hi,Tomorrow I'll ask the Network genius in my office what he thinks of the comms problem. The cfg and xml files are on the right place, contain the right info and I can open them with Windows explorer from the clients keyboard. Besides..., there is no firewall and no anti-virus active. So..., little chance they block comms.I installed FSX SDK from the DVD. On top of that SDK SP1A and after that SDK SP2. The missing one from your list is SDK SP1, but if I look at fsinsider.com, they do not even mention SDK SP1 and there is no download either. There is an SP1 for FSX itself and SP2 too, and they have been installed as well, although I remember doing the full job on FSX first and after that the same for SDK.Before I start un-installing the complete SDK (or even everything else too, FSK + SDK), is there really a SDK SP1 or is it just the SP1A? And if there is, where can I download it.

Hi,SP1 is the one on the FSX DVD.Thanks!

Hi again Jim,Well, it took a while because I was busy with other things, but...I de- and re-installed all of SDK; I checked all shared folders from the client on read-write access; I checked the simconnect xml, ini and cfg files and their location; but the only difference with the AITraffic test program is, that the black window stays open a little longer, but no 'Conneted with FS' message whatsover and the test program aborts. ASA still gives me the SDK error message.What puzzles me is this:The last lines on page 50 of the ASA manual say in a Note: if you are using FSUIPC you may need.... etc.Do you mean 'using FSUIPC to connect with FS9' or do you mean 'using FSUIPC for other software' (like Project Magenta), which we do?We tried both, with scope on local and on global. It is now on Global. Should that be local?This is my last hope, before I kich the whole FSX off my computer, and start the complete re-installation process.

Guest erw

Looking at your simconnect.xml screenprint on the march 21st post it seems to me you have the simconnect connection configured closed!It reads:<disabled>true</disabled>should work once you change that to<disabled>false</disabled> Furthermore: I just downloaded the ASA SP1 that should remedy false SP1 or SP2 not detected messages by ASA. (Haven't tried it yet myself).

Hi Jim,I found that true/false thing in the xml after I made the screenprint, just a few days ago.The SP1 made it happen. Although the AITraffic test did not work, I ignored that one, after installing the ASA SP1 there was no error message anymore and ASA came alive like it should. I'm gonna test things out later this week and let you know the results.Thanks for the help.GreeetingsDirk

Hi Jim,I've been silent for a while, but I'm afraid the problems are not over yet.Although the error message on SDK SP's while loading ASA disappeared, and ASA starts up like it should, there is still no connection with FSX on the server. We have been through all shared functions and xml/cfg file issues and they are 100% (not even 99.9%) OK. After ASA is active I can see two new files, asa-wx-info. dat and asx-ws-info.dat in the shared ../AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX directory. On the edge of the FSX window however it reads 'Microsoft Flight Simulator X with WideServer waiting for clients', which is proof of the fact the SimConnect dooesn't do what it should do on the ASA-client-PC.I already un-installed en re-installed all SP's (FSX and SDK), so following the ASA manual, the only thing left to solve the problem is a complete uninstall all of FSX and SDK on the Server and after that re-install everything. I sincerely hope there is another solution.DirkP.S.By the way, of course I can install ASA on the Server and then it might work, but I would like to stick to my initial choice because of possible higherworkload on the Server. I want to keep that one dedicated to FSX.

Hi,Don't let that message fool you, that is coming from your WideFS/FSUIPC4. That has nothing to do with SimConnect or ASA.What happens if you run the AI Traffic utility from the client with FSX running?Thanks,Jim

Hi,First I checked if I could access the server from the client/ Then I started up FSX on the server, and waited for it to come alive being parked at a gate. Then I started AITraffic from the client and the window disappears in less then a second. If I start up ASA on the client afterwards, on the Map page the box 'Lock to FS position' is unclickable (nothing happens). If I click on Wx Config and while there is almost a clear blue sky with some scattered cumulus, and I change that layer into overcast, click Apply and then OK, even after a while nothing happens in FSX. When I fly f.i. from EHAM to LFMN, there still are significant wind shifts and changes in barometric pressure and the temperatures are not even close to what ASA showed me in the flight briefing before the flight. So imho there is no connection between ASA and FSX.Dirk

Guest machammer
Hi,First I checked if I could access the server from the client/ Then I started up FSX on the server, and waited for it to come alive being parked at a gate. Then I started AITraffic from the client and the window disappears in less then a second. If I start up ASA on the client afterwards, on the Map page the box 'Lock to FS position' is unclickable (nothing happens). If I click on Wx Config and while there is almost a clear blue sky with some scattered cumulus, and I change that layer into overcast, click Apply and then OK, even after a while nothing happens in FSX. When I fly f.i. from EHAM to LFMN, there still are significant wind shifts and changes in barometric pressure and the temperatures are not even close to what ASA showed me in the flight briefing before the flight. So imho there is no connection between ASA and FSX.Dirk
Dirk,I have similar setup as yours. VISTA 64 on the server and 2 desktop XP PC's as clients. One thing I noticed in the message above is that you are running AITraffic from the client I believe I ran it from the server. It ran and gave me a message "received 2". Which I took to mean the 2 clients had responded. I'm not an expert at this. I just did this for the first time last week and everything seems to be working.Good luck.Bill