Sign in to follow this  
Opa

Runway Textures

I just installed the new Oakland (KOAK) airport enhancement by Mach1 (oak2009.zip).For the first time I am seeing runway "touchdown" tire marks which look quite realistic. At any default airport, the "rubber" marks extend the full length of the concrete runway when they really should only be at each end - where aircraft actually touch down.I have attached two screen shots - one shows what Oakland looks like and the other is the default KDFW.My question is this - has anyone run across a replacement texture set which displays the proper burned rubber markings as the Oakland airport does?I have looked at many replacement sets from the library here and none seem to include that.Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do intend to contact Mach1 and inquire further also.

Best runway replacement textures is AIRLand. I believe the file name is airland1_1.zip . Try searching around for that.There is also the Airport Environment packs that you can search for...but those have a pretty big FPS hit.

I see what you mean Opa. I have only found these textures in a couple of freeware airports such as the FreeZ Zurich and Boryspil 2005.The packages mentioned above are both quite good along with REP which I'm using but unfortunately they don't provide the Mach-1 type tyre marks. :(

I see what you mean Opa. I have only found these textures in a couple of freeware airports such as the FreeZ Zurich and Boryspil 2005.The packages mentioned above are both quite good along with REP which I'm using but unfortunately they don't provide the Mach-1 type tyre marks. :(
I have dropped a note to Jaxan at Mach1 and will post his reply if and when I get it.

I just installed the new Oakland (KOAK) airport enhancement by Mach1 (oak2009.zip).For the first time I am seeing runway "touchdown" tire marks which look quite realistic. At any default airport, the "rubber" marks extend the full length of the concrete runway when they really should only be at each end - where aircraft actually touch down.I have attached two screen shots - one shows what Oakland looks like and the other is the default KDFW.My question is this - has anyone run across a replacement texture set which displays the proper burned rubber markings as the Oakland airport does?I have looked at many replacement sets from the library here and none seem to include that.Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do intend to contact Mach1 and inquire further also.
Hi Opa,the FS9 runways are made up of 2 textures only, one at the beginning and end, the rest - i.e. the whole length of the runway - is made up of just one single texture (in your fs9/texture folder these are the diverse runway(#).bmp textures, the most commonly used are runway11.bmp and runway12.bmp I believe). So putting in tire marks means you get them all along the runway, unfortunately :( .Custom airports often use custom textures which are not limited in this way. I assume this is the case with Oakland.Cheers,Sascha

Just an update.I have figured out how to add the tire marks to the ends of the runway(s) but now need to find a replacement texture for the runways themselves which does not have the tire marks built in.If anyone has discovered one already, please let me know - would save me a lot of trial and error searching and testing.Jaxan (Mach1) advised that indeed they used a special bgl file with the marks you see in the Oakland scenery - It has an alpha channel in it's associated texture file.Thanks in advance to anyone who has found a "plain jane" runway texture replacement! :(

Just an update.I have figured out how to add the tire marks to the ends of the runway(s) but now need to find a replacement texture for the runways themselves which does not have the tire marks built in.If anyone has discovered one already, please let me know - would save me a lot of trial and error searching and testing.Jaxan (Mach1) advised that indeed they used a special bgl file with the marks you see in the Oakland scenery - It has an alpha channel in it's associated texture file.Thanks in advance to anyone who has found a "plain jane" runway texture replacement! :(
I would be very grateful if you could share the method for placing tiremarks, I have been trying to figure that out for ages!

I would be very grateful if you could share the method for placing tiremarks, I have been trying to figure that out for ages!
If I can obtain permission from the author of the tire marks model, I plan to create an EZ style library of it so it can be easily placed with one of the object placing programs.

If I can obtain permission from the author of the tire marks model, I plan to create an EZ style library of it so it can be easily placed with one of the object placing programs.
Good idea! Thank you, even more when you release this :(Cheers, Sascha

Good idea! Thank you, even more when you release this :( Cheers, Sascha
Check your PM's

Opa keeps on going!A tool what does this auto would ne nice!

FYI - I have just received permission from Jaxan Prier (Mach1 Design Group) to use their model and texture of the "Tire Marks" in an EZ style object library. I have compiled it into a library and it is being Beta tested as I write this.Barring any unexpected "issues", I will upload it to the library very soon.Here is a sample of what it looks like:

Guest belga1

Hello,Exellent thumbs.gifRegards.bye.gif

FYI - I have just received permission from Jaxan Prier (Mach1 Design Group) to use their model and texture of the "Tire Marks" in an EZ style object library. I have compiled it into a library and it is being Beta tested as I write this.Barring any unexpected "issues", I will upload it to the library very soon.Here is a sample of what it looks like:
Great Work Opa :( Would it not be great if someone made a tool whereby we can take a google earth image of a particular runway and convert it to use in FS. That way, we could have custom runway textures for any airport of our choice....Wishful thinking on my part, maybe...... :( Dinshaw.