Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikeyt

Best Defrag utility for Flight Sim

Guest mikeyt

Hi there I am planning a new rig with the following HD configuration:1 x WD Caviar Black 32Mb cache 640Gb for Windows OS, programs and other apps1 x WD Velociraptor 150Gb (or maybe 300Gb) for FS9.I am trying to research the best defrag util around ideally suited to this task and to this end am testing out a free one (Defraggler) on my work laptop today (which will never run any games more than Solitaire so it's just a test of the interface/functionality) and have downloaded the trial of the x64 O&O Defrag 11 to try on my home laptop tonight (again is never going to run a game/sim). But I was wondering -- I have seen or heard of I'm sure, one of these which you can say "move these files to the end of the drive" where access times will be faster... this sounds ideal for the FS9 files on the Velociraptor, no?? But I'm not sure which defrag tool it was that offered this functionality.Between free ones, O&O, diskeeper, and the many many other ones out there does anyone have a favourite or can anyone suggest the best one to use and explain why please?Many thanks in advance...Mike

I am using O&O Defrag - very good piece of software. Nice GUI, You could sort files on disk by name or last access attribute. I would reccomend it.

I have to go with O&O also.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I use Ultimate Defrag, created by a guy who uses FSX.... it's quite similar to O&O - both are great programshttp://www.disktrix.com/ultimatedefrag_home.htmI run Vista x64 too and it works great

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest mikeyt

Just to let you know after trying out the trial version of O&O on my laptop, first doing a STEALTH, then SPACE, then COMPLETE/Name defrag, it does seem genuinly quicker to boot and more responsive so have ordered the full version....

Win-Defragger is a c*ap-tool. First of all, it only "defragments", so that files are not split. No sorting of any kind.O&O all the way - also using it. Also using Complete/Name, which is really great, loading is way faster than with any other.

Win-Defragger is a c*ap-tool. First of all, it only "defragments", so that files are not split. No sorting of any kind.O&O all the way - also using it. Also using Complete/Name, which is really great, loading is way faster than with any other.
Anyone use Perfect Disk?

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I use Ultimate Defrag and take advantage of the "archive" function. If you have installed Ultimate Terrain USA/Europe you will end up with lots of .xxx files. No it's not nude pics but backups of files that UT replaces.You add the xxx extension to the archive function and these files then get stored on the inner sections of the harddrive, making room for your bgl and bmp's on the outer fast sections.Then I select the most important folders and add then to the performance function and use file/folder defrag.Haven't used O&O but if has similar functions it's a good idea to use them.

One more vote for O&O!Works like a champ and I have convinced myself I can see a positive difference in texture loading time (read: near instantaneous) when defragging my FS drive by name. :(