Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Hardrive/Windows Question?

If I 'disable' a hard drive from the task manager, will it power down the drive?Thanks

If I 'disable' a hard drive from the task manager, will it power down the drive?Thanks
No, It will still be recieving power from your computer's power supply and will continue spinning.

No, It will still be recieving power from your computer's power supply and will continue spinning.
Thanks CarlIs there any way within Windows of doing so?I have SIX hard drives all spinning away, but in reality, I only ever need 3 at any one time.

Phil,No it will not. However, Windows XP Power Options will let you tell your hard drive to stop spinning when you're not actively using it, allowing you to save energy.To configure your power settings:1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options. 2. The Power Options Properties dialog box opens, as shown in the below image. 3. In the Power Options dialog box, you set options for a power scheme. In your instance, the setting you are concerned with is Turn off hard disks: adjust this setting for how quickly you want Windows XP to shut down the hard drives that you are not actively using.Regards,Bob

Phil,No it will not. However, Windows XP Power Options will let you tell your hard drive to stop spinning when you're not actively using it, allowing you to save energy.To configure your power settings:1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options. 2. The Power Options Properties dialog box opens, as shown in the below image. 3. In the Power Options dialog box, you set options for a power scheme. In your instance, the setting you are concerned with is Turn off hard disks: adjust this setting for how quickly you want Windows XP to shut down the hard drives that you are not actively using.Regards,Bob
Ah yes of course, that'll work.Thanks

No, that doesn't work.Doesn't allow me to control individual drives - only all or none :(

Doesn't allow me to control individual drives - only all or none :(
I also considered the 'power down on idle' option, but also thought it was all drives or none too, which is why I didnt mention it.

I also considered the 'power down on idle' option, but also thought it was all drives or none too, which is why I didnt mention it.
It will work, it will only turn off drives that have not been actively utilized for the amount of time specified (any time a drive is accessed the timer is reset to zero) and if you have any worries about shutting drives down and possibly affecting FSX, the best course of action is to set the setting to NEVER.