Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuisFelizTirado

R.I.P.

I am saddened to announce the death of my peacock yesterday. He was the first to come here with his mate about 8 or 9 years ago, and I have lived with him on close terms ever since. He was a scared, even timorous bird when he arrived, but with confidence, time, and lots of high energy food became a proud, strong, and regal addition to the farm.He has sired dozens of little chicks, now big and strong birds like him, and it was precisely when looking for another place to roost, since his favorite Caribbean pine was laden with close to 20 other peacocks, that he flew up to the light pole, landed on the transformer and electrocuted himself. A sad moment for me, since I have hand-fed him from the start.I don't mean to make too much of this matter; it was only a bird, and we shall all leave this world soon enough. Yet, I can't help feeling the way I do about all death that it just is not fair.Best regards.Luis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am saddened to hear the news of a death in your animal family. Some may look down with disdain over our attachment to "stupid animals", it is they who are missing something, not we.Be heartened in the multitudes that he has sired. As you see and enjoy the young ones, you can happily remember how they came to be.Doc Bryant

Thank you, Doc, I know that we share the same views on this.Time heals all wounds and there are plenty of other little birds to keep me busy.Best regards.Luis

Sorry to hear about your peacock. You're the first person I'm aware of having a peacock as a pet.

I appreciate the sentiment, Kevin, thank you very much.I have never considered any of the animals here as my pets, nor do I think of myself as their master. Quite the contrary, I often get the impression that I am a slave to their needs and desires. They require constant feeding and care, and for some a lot of attention and love. I have no days off and cannot go anywhere so as not to abandon them.On the other hand, the peacock would disdain any food that I would throw at his feet and instead walk up to me and expect to eat from my hand. His oldest son is the same, and as a little chick, he would jump on my lap when I was having breakfast on the terrace and steal pieces of bread and cookies from my hand. He has always followed me around the yard. So, perhaps they are pets after all!Best regards.Luis

Thank you very much, Chuck, it is very kind of you.May I ask if that dog is some specific breed? It has an interesting face.Best regards.Luis

That's Jack, Luis. He's a 1/2 Springer Spaniel and 1/2 Australian Cattle Dog -- I got him from a shelter. Thanks for asking! I hope you're feeling (at least a little) better . . .

Oh, well, Chuck, there's still lots of love here with the two dogs. This is my little pup who has now grown to be bigger than the other, much bigger!I found her abandoned out in the road in front of the farm a year and a half ago. She was just a little baby and could almost fit in the palm of my hand. It seems hardly possible that she has grown so much.She loves to jump on my bed and wake me in the early hours by licking my face, so as you can see there is still much love in the house.Best regards.Luis