Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Carenado Arrow out!

Guest rdg
Just posted some shots in the screenshot library of the cockpit at night with the dome light off.Rob
It looks like the lighting for the instruments is a little dark towards the bottom of the instruments. Is it like that when in the cockpit? Bob

I've been in piper acft at night and the instrument lighting is similar. It may be a tad too dark in this Carenado Arrow but it's fairly realistic at the darkest times of the night.Here's a bad shot in a Warrior III at about 2am.... there are extra red hues caused by my crappy camera at the time (about 6 years ago) but it was very dark that nightThe instrument lighting came from these posts above the gauges. We didnt have backlit gauges. Whereas the Carenado gauges might be backlitwarrnight.jpgwarrday.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest rdg
I've been in piper acft at night and the instrument lighting is similar. It may be a tad too dark in this Carenado Arrow but it's fairly realistic at the darkest times of the night.Here's a bad shot in a Warrior III at about 2am.... there are extra red hues caused by my crappy camera at the time (about 6 years ago) but it was very dark that nightThe instrument lighting came from these posts above the gauges. We didnt have backlit gauges. Whereas the Carenado gauges might be backlitwarrnight.jpgwarrday.jpg
Thanks for the shot. The panel.cfg hack for the Mooney does allow for dome light to be off, but it also has the same inherent lack of lighting towards the bottom of the instruments. They must use the same lighting effect for both the Mooney and the Arrow.I guess that is knit picking them though. But then again, attention to detail is a very welcome attribute.Bob

Guest WillKGTF

I purchased the Arrow yesterday (very early Sunday morning) and I am happy with it. My only problem is that my new computer is apparently shorting out my USB CH controllers (3 down so far, so I'm experimenting with a wireless joystick now) so I can't comment about any control characteristics. However, everything seems to work fine as far as switches, ect. It looks great. I did do a late evening flight, and I did notice that the lighting was dim, but not so bad that I wasn't able to control the aircraft. On a side note, I also requested a download link for the Carenado 206 when I purchased the Arrow. I had purchased the 206 about 8 months ago, but my old computer's hard drive died and I lost everything. Even though it was a Sunday, I still recieved a download link within a few hours. I was kind of impressed by that. And, my time zone isn't that different. So, although I don't have alot of experience with Carenado, I can say that at least in this instance they were very impressive as far as customer service.As far as my CH controllers going bad- hat switches swirling, buttons locked constantly on, beers consumed to dampen the anguish-any ideas? Why me? Damn you flight sim gods!

I purchased the Arrow yesterday (very early Sunday morning) and I am happy with it. My only problem is that my new computer is apparently shorting out my USB CH controllers (3 down so far, so I'm experimenting with a wireless joystick now) so I can't comment about any control characteristics. However, everything seems to work fine as far as switches, ect. It looks great. I did do a late evening flight, and I did notice that the lighting was dim, but not so bad that I wasn't able to control the aircraft. On a side note, I also requested a download link for the Carenado 206 when I purchased the Arrow. I had purchased the 206 about 8 months ago, but my old computer's hard drive died and I lost everything. Even though it was a Sunday, I still recieved a download link within a few hours. I was kind of impressed by that. And, my time zone isn't that different. So, although I don't have alot of experience with Carenado, I can say that at least in this instance they were very impressive as far as customer service.As far as my CH controllers going bad- hat switches swirling, buttons locked constantly on, beers consumed to dampen the anguish-any ideas? Why me? Damn you flight sim gods!
I love Carenado, this looks good. Hard to spend money right now so this one will have to wait. :(WillK,I used to have that problem with one of my old Asus Mother boards, and the best thing I ever did was buy a PCI_USB card. Never had a worry ever again with USB.

Those photos are from a late model arrow with the new metal panel. The older panels also had the light posts but it was inevitable that when you did flew at night that some of them wouldn't work... The primary instruments in the 79 Arrow IV that I fly are back lit.
Thanks for the heads up! Another one to add to my Carenado fleet :(
I can tell you that you'll will be surprised with the flight characteristics. If you've never had the chance to fly a real T tail arrow before you're in for a treat. With the horizontal stabilizer out of the slipstream the tail has less effectiveness at lower speeds. Meaning takeoff's and landings require a little more TLC. (and airspeed)She lands faster than the low tail arrow and takes more pull to get her off the ground. Careful though, once the horizontal stabilizer takes a bite her nose will rise real quick if you're too far back on the yoke (which is a common reflex to keep pulling until the nose rises). You've got to make sure you've got the correct amount of trim set before takeoff and when you pull back to rotate go back to about where you normally would and hold it. Don't keep pulling back until her nose rises or you'll peel off the ground like a rocket and stall.Chris

I can tell you that you'll will be surprised with the flight characteristics. If you've never had the chance to fly a real T tail arrow before you're in for a treat. With the horizontal stabilizer out of the slipstream the tail has less effectiveness at lower speeds. Meaning takeoff's and landings require a little more TLC. (and airspeed)She lands faster than the low tail arrow and takes more pull to get her off the ground. Careful though, once the horizontal stabilizer takes a bite her nose will rise real quick if you're too far back on the yoke (which is a common reflex to keep pulling until the nose rises). You've got to make sure you've got the correct amount of trim set before takeoff and when you pull back to rotate go back to about where you normally would and hold it. Don't keep pulling back until her nose rises or you'll peel off the ground like a rocket and stall.Chris
Sorry, but what does TLC mean :( ?And thanks for the tips. Today i have flown it making a circuit and i have ended scratching my head :(

It looks like the lighting for the instruments is a little dark towards the bottom of the instruments. Is it like that when in the cockpit? Bob
It wouldn't be that difficult to edit the emissive lightmaps used to adjust the lighting to the user's preference. All it requires is DXTBMP.exe (freeware) and a paint program such as Photoshop, PSP or GIMP (OpenSource/free).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It wouldn't be that difficult to edit the emissive lightmaps used to adjust the lighting to the user's preference. All it requires is DXTBMP.exe (freeware) and a paint program such as Photoshop, PSP or GIMP (OpenSource/free).
THat sounds interesting, but I would have no idea where to start.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |