Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Where should I stick my add-ons?

Sorry - couldn't help putting it that way. But please be polite with your answers... :( Apologies also for asking a question that's been asked before. I've searched the topic and I'm trying to sort out the results and understand what they mean.The question is this: I've finished my build and my overclock, and I'm about to start re-installing FSX and the add-ons. FSX is going to have its own dedicated drive, and there's a separate OS drive with space available.I'm trying to figure out which add-ons are better installed on the OS drive, and which need to be on the FSX drive.Let me see if I understand what I've read so far. It seems like there's a general consensus that database-like programs should be on the OS drive - in other words, programs that load once, or that are called infrequently. Examples would be GEX, FEX or REX, and Active Sky.UTX should in theory be one of these programs, but apparently the installer insists on putting it in the FSX installation, so that's where it has to go.Am I right that add-ons that are called more frequently, like aircraft, AI traffic, gauges and scenery, need to be on the FSX drive? And would that include complex scenery products like FTX? What about landclass?Final question for this round - is it important to install add-ons in a particular order? I know that some recommend installing UTX first, then GEX, but I'm not sure that's a universal recommendation. What's your take on that? And what other add-ons need to go first, or last?Thanks in advance. Again, it's not that I've missed the information, only that it's a lot to sort through. If I could get a handle on the rationale for installing things in a particular way, that would help a lot.Alan

Guest Nick_N

GEX and FEX are database programs. They do not need to be installed to FSX. They only send textures to FSX. I believe REX is the sameActive sky is simply a weather engine and if you use their graphics.. again, it s just a database and does not need to be in the FSX installUTX on the other hand must be installed into FSX

GEX and FEX are database programs. They do not need to be installed to FSX. They only send textures to FSX. I believe REX is the sameActive sky is simply a weather engine and if you use their graphics.. again, it s just a database and does not need to be in the FSX installUTX on the other hand must be installed into FSX
What about Scenery Tech - which drive should that go on?

What about Scenery Tech - which drive should that go on?
Scenery Tech or any landclass for that matter, needs to be installed into FSX.

OK...so, I have to ask a stupid question. I realize that everything must be set up certain ways. You know, everything in the proper place. But with the high end rigs you guys have, do you really see a difference in the sim based on where you install the things you are talking about? If this is too dumb to answer, I understand. My in experience is showing here, so I'd like to learn a little something.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Bob,Certain things need to be installed into FSX for FSX to run properly. Certain things like REX, FEX, X-Graphics or ASA can be installed into FSX however they will take up valuable space within the FSX directory structure that could be used for addons that need to reside there. This is all part of optimizing FSX for best performance and every little performance boost you can get counts towards the bigger picture.

Active sky is simply a weather engine and if you use their graphics.. again, it s just a database and does not need to be in the FSX install
Thanks, Nick. Just so I understand everything correctly - am I right that Active Sky can be outside the FSX install even if I don't use their graphics? Seems to me that even if I'm using Active Sky live weather, it'd only be updating FSX every 15 minutes so there'd be no advantage to having it inside FSX. Correct?By the way, I haven't had a chance yet to thank you for all the effort you put into advising us. We haven't posted that much to each other, but I've relied on your equipment advice, setup guides and other posts, and they've made my build possible. I'm not sure I could have found my way though it otherwise. So, thanks!AlanTo all:OK - so, databases on the OS drive, but scenery, landclass, AI, gauges etc. in the FSX install. Roger that. Thanks to all. Will report success and/or hiccups as they happen.Alan