Sign in to follow this  
Tino

Some help needed.

Hello to all, I am first going to state my intentions. I have never built a FS2004 scenery before. I have gone threw many tutorials but i am still confused of what programs or where to start.1. My plan is to construct a CYOW scenery for FS2004.2. I want to start with Photo-Real terrain from images. (I would like to start with this and the AFCAD lights etc.)3. Then go on to making/placeing 3d objects or buildings in the scenery. (When i get better at 3d modeling with Gmax or other programs)Any imput would be useful. I want to work hard on this as this will be my first attempt.Although i have read many tutorials from various sites and forums, i am still lost at this point. If somone could walk me threw it so i could atleast get started, that would be great!Thanks in advance,Tino.

Sante Sottile

Hello Tino,Perhaps you are not being sufficiently specific as to what exactly you want to do. Maybe you could pick a single task first, then see if somebody can help you on that.Best regards.Luis

Hello Tino,Perhaps you are not being sufficiently specific as to what exactly you want to do. Maybe you could pick a single task first, then see if somebody can help you on that.Best regards.Luis
First Task i would like to do is lay down a Photo-real ground textures for the airport layout. any ideas of hwo to go about doing this?Thanks.Tino,

Sante Sottile

The first place to start is the Custom Terrain Textures document in the FS 2004 Terrain S.D.K. It is the official guide to this type of scenery.If you consult the Beginner's Guide that is pinned to the top of this forum, you will also find numerous references.For any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Best regards.Luis

Ok thanks for the reply. I had a look at the SDK.I have a couple questions now. Where do i go to get the photo-real image? And once i have the image i want, what do i do to convert the image to TMF viewer? I am a little confused as the SDK does not explain how to get the image in the first place and if you need to convert it or not. thanks.

Sante Sottile

There are literally hundreds of sources for good aerial images. There are even more sources for bad satellite images. You can try searching the Internet, or asking your local government (if you are in Canada). I imagine that it should be simple to find very good images for that region.Once you have the desired images, you should:1. ensure that it is in the correct datum and projection;2. create an inf file;3. run it through the Resample tool;4. rename the resulting (and numerous) bitmaps by changing the extension;5. convert all those bitmaps to DXT format.Perhaps you should first try finding the various sources of aerial images, before anything else.Best regards.Luis

There are literally hundreds of sources for good aerial images. There are even more sources for bad satellite images. You can try searching the Internet, or asking your local government (if you are in Canada). I imagine that it should be simple to find very good images for that region.Once you have the desired images, you should:1. ensure that it is in the correct datum and projection;2. create an inf file;3. run it through the Resample tool;4. rename the resulting (and numerous) bitmaps by changing the extension;5. convert all those bitmaps to DXT format.Perhaps you should first try finding the various sources of aerial images, before anything else.Best regards.Luis
Hi Luis. Your reply raised a question for me, step #5. So far all the ground textures I have been making have ended after step #4. I do the following. Make a map, color correct the map, make any necessary masks, reload the stuff into SbuilderX and compile a bgl, then place into what ever scenery file I am using. After that I go fly. I have never converted any of my bitmaps to a DXT format. Could you please explain how to and why. I learned by following your tutorial but don't remember seeing anything about converting to DXT format.Thanks much.Sean

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hello Sean,Don't worry, it is not relevant to FS X. For FS 2004, the source image was sliced into very many small pieces (256 x 256 pixel), these were the ground tiles that would display. The FS 2004 Resample did not convert the tiles to DXT format and that was a separate process. In FS X, the image does not end up in separate tiles anyway, but is directly incorporated in the bgl file.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis for clarifing that and sorry to Sante for jumping in on your thread.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator