Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

Flaps 5 / thrust to climb mode

I had this setting established in my FMC, however, the thrust remained on take off power all the way to TOD (FL35). I did not use TOGA but advanced throttles to full manually. Cost index 100. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. PS: It was very noisy for the passengers. They were'nt too happy.

Keith Sandford.

I had this setting established in my FMC, however, the thrust remained on take off power all the way to TOD (FL35). I did not use TOGA but advanced throttles to full manually. Cost index 100. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. PS: It was very noisy for the passengers. They were'nt too happy.
If you advanced the throttles manually, did you ever actually engage the autothrottle system at any point? Was there a throttle mode on the left of the FMA? You shouldn't advance them manually, you should advance them to 70% N1, watch them stabilise and then when happy with your runway heading and engines engage the autothrottle by engaging the TO/GA.My guess is, at no point in your climb did you engage the autothrottle, it was under manual control throughout the entire climb.CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Auto throttle was armed as usual during taxi, along with LNAV and VNAV. Upon initial climbout I initiated central command autopilot.

Keith Sandford.

Auto throttle was armed as usual during taxi, along with LNAV and VNAV. Upon initial climbout I initiated central command autopilot.
I think you're missing the point... simply "arming" the autothrottle is not enough. You must "engage" the autothrottle system for it to manage the speeds during climb and cruise. To do that. you must either click the hidden "TO/GA" spot on the 2-D panel or click the TO/GA buttons on the throttle levers in the VC. If you fail to do either of those, the autothrottle system will only be armed, but never engaged.- Alex

Alex is absolutely right..The analogy I use to help newbies understand the Autothrottle Arm switch.. is that it is like the power socket and PC relationship.. When the PC is not plugged into the wall.. you can press the "on" button on the PC as many times as you like and nothing will happen... You plug in the plug of your PC into the wall (and switch the wall socket to ON for UK plugs) means power is available for the PC but it won't just turn on all by itself, you have to actually turn it on by it's power button. See what I mean? Same with the autothrottle.. if the arm switch is "OFF" there is no way to engage the Autothrottle system.. period.. (power plug is unplugged).. ok? If the autothrottle arm switch is ON.. you've plugged it in to the wall, turned on the mains... BUT.. without actually starting it up (pressing your PC power) it'll just sit there and do nothing. You have to actually turn it on (engage an appropriate autothrottle mode). You could engage TO/GA as a mode.. HOLD.. SPEED THR REF.. etc etc..When you arm the autothrottle with the switch it sits dorment until you give it a mode, when you press the TO/GA button, you are giving it a mode... THR REF first.. then.. HOLD... during the take off roll... If your FMA.. is blank / TO/GA / TO/GA your autothrottle is doing nothing at all. A lot of problems are caused by people not understanding how to read the FMA. If any portion of your FMA is blank, the corresponding autothrottle or autopilot system is NOT.. DOING A THING.. If it is blank you are in control of that aspect..Oh, and turning on the Autopilot.. will not automatically engage the autothrottle either.. If you climb without using TO/GA when you engage the autopilot it will not automatically engage an autothrottle mode. You can manually give it one by pressing VNAV again, or FLCH or SPD on the MCP.. THAT.. will engage an autothrottle mode.. but simply turining on the AP with L C or R autopilots will not engage an autothrottle mode.Hope that helps..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Thanks for all the advice. I thought selecting VNAV was the (pressing your PC power). I will try the TOGA switch next time.

Keith Sandford.

PMDG have now released their new update for there 747-400 series for FS9/FSX.They include the following fixes.Changes for the PMDG 747-400X Flight SimulatorX (FSX) 26. CLB thrust reduction now correctly senses flap lever position rather than flap angle.I wonder if I have this fix. I only purchased the 747 a week ago so I am assuming I have all the latest up-dates?

Keith Sandford.