Sign in to follow this  
TC1

Radar Contact 4

I know that they have their own forum, but i am looking for a wider, more objective base. I am considering purchasing RC4, is it worth the investment?ThanksTom

I know that they have their own forum, but i am looking for a wider, more objective base. I am considering purchasing RC4, is it worth the investment?ThanksTom
Without knowing what you are specifically looking for I would say yes.RC4 is a solid product with plenty of good features... \\ Perttu

Tom,I'm pretty much a commercial sim pilot and have had every release of RC since the beginning. If there had been no RC and I had to depend on MSFS ATC or something other I would have given up the hobby years ago ...... not an overstatement. It's not perfect but then neither is the sim.JimBob"Master of the Sr. Moment"

JimBob,Thanks for your reply. I pulled down their manual from theeir Web Site and selectivity read various sections. The software looks like it contains many functions for various portions of a flight. It appears to be straight forward in its presentation and very intutitive. How is it on framerates, will it support the Just Flight AI Traffic 2004 package, and is there any known aircraft packages that it will not handle properly? I have an older computer, 2.4 Ghz, XP Home, 1 Gig of memory, that I set at 20 frames per second and I really have no problem running most appilications. Just interested in what other users have to say about the product.ThanksTom

Guest Locksta

The program is not resource hungry at all.However, there is one thing that put me off it of it right away.. no taxi instructions, you just get a 'Taxi to Runway xx' and thats it. But thats just me, I'm a charts freak and I swore I will never use the Progressive Taxi thing :(

I looked into getting RC some time back (maybe two years ago or so) and what made me not buy it was the fact that many callsigns were not pronounced. I have so much AI traffic and not hearing callsigns would be a big drawback, and the same problem would have applied if I myself were flying an airline whose callsign is not included in the pack.There seemed to be no such think as EditVoicePack that would allow me to edit and add callsigns to RC. If there was that edit / add function, I wouldn't hesitate. From what I read in the manual, it looked like an absolutely phantastic product.If things have changed since I last checked, i.e. if there is now a much larger set of callsigns and new ones can easily be added, please let me know.

Spring through the fall I fly GA aircraft. The winter months I fly the heavies (Minnesota based and there is only so much snow that you can watch). Started flying the GA's again last night and took a flight from KLVN to KRWF. This is a flight of about 85 nms, 35 minutes. Redwood Falls Muni is almost directly west of Airlake. I took off on runway 30 and was directed by the FS9 ATC to turn east towards the Farmington VOR. The VOR is 2.5 nms east from Airlake, but not a real deal breaker based on my flight plan (I should have checked the FS9 flight plan and removed the first waypoint). Instead of turning me at the VOR, it had me go another 12-15 nms to the east before directing me towards KRFW.Its the round the world tours that you seem to get from the FS9 ATC when you fly IFR that has me looking for a replacement ATC manager.Tom

Do also have a look at PFE. It's a very strong competitor to RC with loads of outstanding features, like regional accents, VFR support and continuous free updates.They have a support forum right here in Avsim.

Jet1,I am sorry but I am uncertain what PFE stands for?Tom

I've been using RC4 since last summer and wouldn't fly without it. However it is mostly good for just IFR flights and not really for VFR flights.

Jet1,I'll take a look at it. I have and I also like a number of the Aerosoft products.ThanksTom

PFE is good for realistic taxi/ATC and vectoring... but it's got issues with SID/STARs which I've discussed with the developer. I don't know if RC4 can follow SID/STARs as well or not since I don't own a copy.

PFE is good for realistic taxi/ATC and vectoring... but it's got issues with SID/STARs which I've discussed with the developer. I don't know if RC4 can follow SID/STARs as well or not since I don't own a copy.
HiAre you referring to the post you made in the PFE forum? Did you complete the discussion by email or something, as I read through it and found no conclusion.What you described in it didn't really seem like a problem with the software. I've found that PFE handles STARs just fine if you want to use them.

RC4 will follow SIDs and STARs prtovided the waypoints are in the flight plan you load into RC.For SIDS, unless you choose otherwise, RC will vector you to line you up to navigate to the first waypoint if it is more than 30 nm out. If closer you will be expected to navigate on your own to that first waypoint.Regarding STARs you will be expected as part of your plan to cross those waypoints (which must be in the plan). When you are just inside 40 nm Approach will contact you and tell you what runway to expect and give additional commands. Acknowledge those and if you don't want vectors to the final intercept request an IAP approach and you then can do your own navigation.