Sign in to follow this  
Guest ND6849C

FSX ATC problem

Is it just ATIS or ATC as well?Reminds me of this thread I posted ages ago. Still no response from MS. No other help and oh yeah, looks like I won't switch after all. :(

Mike...

Guest RonB49
Somewhere there's got to be an answer!
Have you tried it with Sound Acelleration set to "None?" Every time I've had this problem in FSX and earlier versions, this has done the trick. R-

Guest ND6849C
Have you tried it with Sound Acelleration set to "None?" Every time I've had this problem in FSX and earlier versions, this has done the trick. R-
Just tried it with sound acceleration set to none. No change.To answer FJ Mike, yes...ATIS as I described, and regular ATC has no sound at all, only glitches....again, in either case the text is normal.All I want is for it to SOUND normal.

Does the sound section of your FSX cfg lookanything like this;[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=0UISound=1AmbientUI=1I don't pretent to know what these entries mean.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest ND6849C
Does the sound section of your FSX cfg lookanything like this;[sOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=0UISound=1AmbientUI=1I don't pretent to know what these entries mean.Bob
Ok, now I'm really confused. If you have no idea what those entries mean, why would you bring it up?

Relax. I never said I had no idea what they mean. I ment I'm not an expert. After a reinstall, your cfg should look similar. Mine is totaly stock. I will ask again: do you run a sound card, or onboard sound? In either case, do you have the latest drivers? In either case, you could uninstall the sound device, and let Windows reinstall. This sometimes helps, and is standard procedure. Bob

Bob

Guest ND6849C
Relax. I never said I had no idea what they mean. I ment I'm not an expert. After a reinstall, your cfg should look similar. Mine is totaly stock. I will ask again: do you run a sound card, or onboard sound? In either case, do you have the latest drivers? In either case, you could uninstall the sound device, and let Windows reinstall. This sometimes helps, and is standard procedure. Bob
Sorry Bob...this has just been the most frustrating problem I've ever had. But let me get down to the nittty gritty.I removed everythng FSX from my computer. Even add on planes, saved flight plans, everything. I deleted every FSX registry entry, etc...total wipe. Then I reinstalled FSX completely fresh. When I fired it up, there is the same dang problem with the ATC/ATIS.Again, note that every other sound I play on my system works fine, wav's, videos, mp3s, everything. The only thing chopped up is FSX's ATC/ATIS.I am going to perform one last test. After I got FSX, I wiped FS9 off my drive but I still have the discs. I am going to reinstall FS9, and if that ATC works...then I'll know it's only FSX. Will report back on that.I really want to solve this. The ATC files have extentions of .QVP. What in FSX runs those files through the sound card?Anyone?????

I hope your atc files say GVP not QVP. Have you thought about reinstalling your sound device? Funny thing is, it might not have anything to do with the sound device. Are all your drivers up to date?Bob

Bob

Guest ND6849C
I hope your atc files say GVP not QVP. Have you thought about reinstalling your sound device? Funny thing is, it might not have anything to do with the sound device. Are all your drivers up to date?Bob
Ok, they do say GVP. The "My Computer" displays in small letters and it looked like a q to me.All my drivers are up to date. I'm still lost as to how to resolve this.

Well...some things to think about...No one else has chimed in lately. I keep posting to bump this to the top of the list to help you out. That tells me that this may not be a wide spread problem.You did an uninstall,clean wipe, and reinstall. No luck. That tells me that it is not an FSX problem. I had some popping in my FSX audio untill my last GPU driver update. Probably a coincidence, because I do alot of things to my computers all the time to try to improve things. But, things can be interconnected. That tells me that FSX does not like something about your audio setup. But what, I do not know,yet. One more time, do you run a sound card, or onboard audio?Bob

Bob

Guest ND6849C
Well...some things to think about...No one else has chimed in lately. I keep posting to bump this to the top of the list to help you out. That tells me that this may not be a wide spread problem.You did an uninstall,clean wipe, and reinstall. No luck. That tells me that it is not an FSX problem. I had some popping in my FSX audio untill my last GPU driver update. Probably a coincidence, because I do alot of things to my computers all the time to try to improve things. But, things can be interconnected. That tells me that FSX does not like something about your audio setup. But what, I do not know,yet. One more time, do you run a sound card, or onboard audio?Bob
Onboard audio. Realtek AC97. Latest drivers. The strange thing is if it is just the audio why would now every other sound play on my system, even all the direct x tests, system sounds, other wavs, mp3's, YouTube videos, streaming audio etc. Why is it the only thing not working is FSX's ATC/ATIS?

I never got my problem sorted either. Although it didn't really matter to me as I was going back to FS9.You could try a dedicated sound card. Maybe someone you know has one you can use to run some tests. Or you could just buy one if you can find a favorable return policy. I assume you have defragmented recently and done a full disk scan?Maybe it's a long shot, but have you tried installing a codec pack? I'm using K-Lite myself, the Mega version. Didn't really occur to me back then to try something like this, so it may be nothing, but it's worth a try. Apart from installing a boatload of codecs, it also comes with several tools, such as GSpot, that can list the installed codecs (both audio and video) and reveal potential problems.

Mike...

Guest ND6849C
I never got my problem sorted either. Although it didn't really matter to me as I was going back to FS9.You could try a dedicated sound card. Maybe someone you know has one you can use to run some tests. Or you could just buy one if you can find a favorable return policy. I assume you have defragmented recently and done a full disk scan?Maybe it's a long shot, but have you tried installing a codec pack? I'm using K-Lite myself, the Mega version. Didn't really occur to me back then to try something like this, so it may be nothing, but it's worth a try. Apart from installing a boatload of codecs, it also comes with several tools, such as GSpot, that can list the installed codecs (both audio and video) and reveal potential problems.
I got it solved, and FJ Mike, this may work for you. Actually it was a reply from Microsoft that finally got it tackled, along the lines of your suggestion. Here's what did the trick:To install a Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec missing codec on your computer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click on Classic view2. In Classic View double click on the first icon, Add Hardware. 3. Click Next. 4. Click Yes, I have already connected the hardware, and then click Next. 5. In the Installed hardware list, click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next. 6. Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced), and then click Next. 7. In the Common hardware types list, click Sound, video and game controllers, and then click Next. 8. Under Manufacturer, click (Standard system devices). 9. Click Have Disk. 10. In the Install From Disk dialog box, click Browse, and then open the following folder: C:\Windows\System32 11. Click the Mmdriver.inf file, and then click Open. 12. In the Install From Disk dialog box, click OK. 13. Click Continue Anyway if you receive the following message: The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. (Tell me why this testing is important. Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the software vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing. 14. In the Model list, click the codec that you want to install, such as the Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec, and then click Next. 15. Click Next to start the installation of the codec. 16. Restart the computer after the codec has been installed. Try to test the game.So there it is. The sad part is I've lost all of my addon aircraft, scenery, tweaks, etc. So now I begin a slow rebuild.I thought everyone would like to see the solution.

Glad it worked for you, I'll save a copy of your post, should I need it in the future.:(

Mike...

Great news. I'm going to try this on two computers in the house that no longer play audio or video files, due to upgrades or up dates.Bob

Bob