Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smokeyupahead

747 sounds in cold and dark cockpit

Hi guys,maybe I'm doing something wrong here.I have a cold and dark situation in the cockpit but I here sounds as if the engines were still running.Every switch is off and of course so are the engines!Shouldn't it be quite?Thanks,David

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have the same "problem".Would appreciate a confirmation if something is wrong or thats just the way it is.ThanksChris Stanley

Hi guys,I presume this is the FSX version you are having issues with? This issue seems to occur with certain soundcards and not just PMDG aircraft - for some reason the FS sound system doesnt reset correctly when changing views between the cockpit and the outside views. A simple work around is to press the "Q" button twice after you change views - this will reset the sounds to the correct parameters.Hope this helps.

Hi guys,I presume this is the FSX version you are having issues with? This issue seems to occur with certain soundcards and not just PMDG aircraft - for some reason the FS sound system doesnt reset correctly when changing views between the cockpit and the outside views. A simple work around is to press the "Q" button twice after you change views - this will reset the sounds to the correct parameters.Hope this helps.
Hi and thanks.I will give it a try but I'm using FS9 with onboard soundcard.David

Hi guys,maybe I'm doing something wrong here.I have a cold and dark situation in the cockpit but I here sounds as if the engines were still running.Every switch is off and of course so are the engines!Shouldn't it be quite?Thanks,David
-----------------On the OVHD panel- what does the Ext Power Sw (middle far left) show? "Avail" or a vertical double line indicating "Connected". If it is connected you will hear the sound of trim/ventilation air flow. If it shows "Avail" then no airflow sound. I believe a parked plane would get a bit humid/smelly without this air flow! I suspect this is what you are hearing.Alex Reid

-----------------On the OVHD panel- what does the Ext Power Sw (middle far left) show? "Avail" or a vertical double line indicating "Connected". If it is connected you will hear the sound of trim/ventilation air flow. If it shows "Avail" then no airflow sound. I believe a parked plane would get a bit humid/smelly without this air flow! I suspect this is what you are hearing.Alex Reid
Hi and thanks.No the external air is not connected.David

Hi and thanks.No the external air is not connected.David
There will be sound on just electrical connection... fans for cooling, etc. with external power connected and more if packs are on.If press Q twice doesn't work then dunno.John E

Hi guys.I've tried hitting Q on the keyboard but nothing happens,still have the problem.It's no big deal I'll see what happens when I get a new sound card and let you know.Thanks again!David

I'm running FSX and PMDG 744 on a dual core laptop.If I default to the laptop sound card I get a very noisy "cold and dark" cockpit. When I send the sound through an external Creative USB sound card you can hear the proverbial sparrow fart on start up.So I guess, as suggested, it must be an issue with the type of sound card you have.Back when Aerowinx brought out the PS1 (1.3), it was very sensitive to soundcards and really only worked with a Sound Blaster card.Hope that helps.Chris StanleyStill not started up but getting there very slowly!

I'm running FSX and PMDG 744 on a dual core laptop.If I default to the laptop sound card I get a very noisy "cold and dark" cockpit. When I send the sound through an external Creative USB sound card you can hear the proverbial sparrow fart on start up.So I guess, as suggested, it must be an issue with the type of sound card you have.Back when Aerowinx brought out the PS1 (1.3), it was very sensitive to soundcards and really only worked with a Sound Blaster card.Hope that helps.Chris StanleyStill not started up but getting there very slowly!
Hi Chris,I think it has to do with my onboard sound card as well, I'm planning to get a new one soon so I'll let you guys know if that will work.Thanks again guys for your help!David

Hi.Please check if all three IRS switches are on OFF position (left upper side of overhead panel).It seems weird but when they are on NAV position, even in cold and dark, there is an 'engine' sound.RegardsSchmid

Are you sure the engines are off? I've had a few occurrences where I've fired up the 744 in FS9.1 to a supposedly C&D cockpit. All instruments blank, overhead looking normal but when I moved the throttle lever the engines spooled up. A closer look at the overhead showed the APU running but not connected electrically so my C&D setup was only halfway there. On one occasion I had even gone through all pre-flight procedures and tried to start the engines but couldn't work out why the start switches were not lighting up when I pulled them, then found they were already running! This is probably not your situation, it's just me but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :(Iain Smith

May I suggest that you save a DEFAULT Cockpit Panel State and begin all flights with that version? I'd recommend the default flight for starting. Then load your aeroplane and departure airport. I then load Active Camera (FS9) and your newly created default panel state. I have a couple but the one I use most is with the aeroplane plugged in to ground power and air, with 1 pack on and the nav lights on as well.Starting with the DEFAULT FS/Cessna flight and then loading the PMDG aeroplane seems to be the ticket for repeatable baseling performance. That said, it was nice to hear from someone that remembers PS1, and yes sound cards (esp. onboard sound) can provide varying performance.