Sign in to follow this  
adamant365

First MD-11 Flight...Impressions and a Question

Hello All,I just completed my first flight with the -11 (FS9) and all I can say is FANTASTIC. From start to finish, probably the best add-on I have ever flown. I followed the tutorial pretty much to the letter and am very impressed with the immersiveness of this product. I even let the aircraft auto-land, which is something I never do unless minimums are low enough. I was also completely surprised at how smooth the frame rates were. I thought for sure that my dinosaur of a PC would slow at least a little...but I was pegged at 25fps the whole time. Well done from a code aspect.Anyway, I do have a couple of questions regarding the tutorial. First of all, is there a point just before takeoff where "FMS Speed" is supposed to be armed? I found myself wallowing around at approx. 200 knots after takeoff and during the initial climb, after climb thrust was set, and after I started cleaning up the flaps. Once I hit the FMS Speed button, the nose dipped and I accelerated right on up to 250 for the climb which is what I would think would happen as soon as climb thrust is set and the aircraft is cleaned up. The other question I have is regarding the descent. The tutorial states that the flaps be set to 15 during the initial approach, but since the "dial-a-flap" was still set to 22 for takeoff, the flaps wanted to go to 22. Is it SOP to set the dial-a-flap before selecting the second detent of flaps or can the dial routinely be adjusted after selecting the dial-a-flap detent? I know these are minor omissions from the tutorial. I merely want to know what the actual procedure should be. I highly enjoyed my first flight and look forward to flying many more with this aircraft. Adam

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions regarding the tutorial. First of all, is there a point just before takeoff where "FMS Speed" is supposed to be armed? I found myself wallowing around at approx. 200 knots after takeoff and during the initial climb, after climb thrust was set, and after I started cleaning up the flaps. Once I hit the FMS Speed button, the nose dipped and I accelerated right on up to 250 for the climb which is what I would think would happen as soon as climb thrust is set and the aircraft is cleaned up.
Adam, FMS Speed is armed/engaged when you press the PROF (Profile) button. The tutorial has you press that as you are climbing through 1500 feet. (Page 22 of the tutorial)
The other question I have is regarding the descent. The tutorial states that the flaps be set to 15 during the initial approach, but since the "dial-a-flap" was still set to 22 for takeoff, the flaps wanted to go to 22. Is it SOP to set the dial-a-flap before selecting the second detent of flaps or can the dial routinely be adjusted after selecting the dial-a-flap detent?
The tutorial has you set the dial-a-flap back to 15

Hello All,I just completed my first flight with the -11 (FS9) and all I can say is FANTASTIC. From start to finish, probably the best add-on I have ever flown. I followed the tutorial pretty much to the letter and am very impressed with the immersiveness of this product. I even let the aircraft auto-land, which is something I never do unless minimums are low enough. I was also completely surprised at how smooth the frame rates were. I thought for sure that my dinosaur of a PC would slow at least a little...but I was pegged at 25fps the whole time. Well done from a code aspect.Anyway, I do have a couple of questions regarding the tutorial. First of all, is there a point just before takeoff where "FMS Speed" is supposed to be armed? I found myself wallowing around at approx. 200 knots after takeoff and during the initial climb, after climb thrust was set, and after I started cleaning up the flaps. Once I hit the FMS Speed button, the nose dipped and I accelerated right on up to 250 for the climb which is what I would think would happen as soon as climb thrust is set and the aircraft is cleaned up. Page 20 of the FS9 tutorial flight covers the texi flow, found below...Press the ʻNAVʼ button (4) to arm the FMSʼ NAV-mode.NAV-mode will then engage after lift-off giving youguidance along the programmed route. The armed stateshould display as a magenta ʻNAV ARMEDʼ in the FMA.• Press the ʻAUTO FLIGHTʼ button (5) to arm the autothrustsystem. The ʻATS OFFʼ box on the FMA will beremoved.CAUTION: This will activate auto-thrust as soon as youmove the throttle levers past approx. 65% N1!That should be the issue with your AP speed.The other question I have is regarding the descent. The tutorial states that the flaps be set to 15 during the initial approach, but since the "dial-a-flap" was still set to 22 for takeoff, the flaps wanted to go to 22. Is it SOP to set the dial-a-flap before selecting the second detent of flaps or can the dial routinely be adjusted after selecting the dial-a-flap detent? Page 23 brings the Dial-a-Flap (what a great tool BTW) wheel to the 15 setting. I am unsure if you can move the Dial-a-Flap will with the flap lever in the Dial-a-Flap indention. Possible though...I know these are minor omissions from the tutorial. I merely want to know what the actual procedure should be. I highly enjoyed my first flight and look forward to flying many more with this aircraft. The FCOM is a great tool to learning the aircraft from start up to shut down. Take a look, you will learn alot about how this great machine operates.Adam
Regards,Shawn FittsEdit- Got me by one minute Mike

Regards,Shawn FittsEdit- Got me by one minute Mike
Fedex checklist has setting dial-a-flap to 15 as part of after takeoff checks.

Hah, look at that. Right in front of my face and didn't even see it. Must have been my attempt at speed reading during the climbout. I guess since there was a lot going on, I just overlooked it. Thanks for the responses. I usually do thoroughly read the documentation and I know I would have found it in the FCOM, but I just had to get up and flying. Adam

I am unsure if you can move the Dial-a-Flap will with the flap lever in the Dial-a-Flap indention. Possible though...
You can move the dial-a-flap wheel while the flaps are 'on'. It won't change the actual flap setting: the new dial-a-flap setting will be used the next time you use the flaps. I always set dial-a-flap to 22 after take off and I've frequently done this while flaps were still engaged at 15.

Most if not all airlines have it as SOP to set the Dial-a-flap wheel back to 15 at the after take-off flow, as at this point the take-off setting is of no use anymore.You can change the DAF setting while the flaps are already set in that detent. However the real aircraft will only allow small changes, while with bigger changes you need to set the lever out of DAF and back again. In any way you have to set the correct setting before moving the lever there.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard