Sign in to follow this  
Bina

Upload rejected the fourth time... WHY?!?

Hi there,Please who reads this post, and especially the AVSIM Library Admins, do NOT get it as an attempt to underestimate your efforts and skills, or an attempt to prove my rightness. I simply want to understand the reason why my uploads are rejected the fourth time in a row - since the 15th of March until today. Also, all names of persons and organisations in this post are mentioned ONLY to help with explanation of my problem and DO NOT imply any claims or pretenses to original authors.As I said, my first upload was on the 15th of March when I tried to upload 2 (two) complete AI packages into the FS2004 AI Aircraft section (unfortunately, I have deleted those uploaded files and, therefore, cannot show the file names here). These packages were 1) ABC Air Hungary Complete AI package; and 2) Ada Air Albania Complete AI package. Some time after numerous attempts, I received an email from Mr. Gary Buska explaining why my upload didn't pass the "screening" process. As I was explained, the reasons were: 1) the included file contained "." (dot) in the ZIP archive's name; 2) the Author's name was not written properly (I put the name of my project instead of my own name).Later on today, I tried to upload two completely different packages - AI texture sets. This time I received an email from Mr. Rick Case stating exactly the following "Your uploaded zip archive must contain a '.txt' (plain text) file IN ENGLISH, containing easy to understand installation instructions, your full name (no alias names allowed), and your email address and/or a link to your active support forum in order to provide technical support to all who download your file, plus any other important information. Additional readme.txt files in other languages may be included."Although I deleted my first two uploads - being sure that the problem would not be recurrent and I would succeed in my endeavor - I have not deleted the recently uploaded files. Having received an email from Mr. Case, I have decided to re-check with Upload Instructions and was surprised to see a contradiction between that email and my understanding of upload rules. This contradiction stems from a number of facts:1) Obviously, I DID include an English plain-text readme file with detailed installation instruction into my upload as opposed to what is written in Mr. Case's email. You can see this readme in the file linked below. The funny thing is that my readme was based on original readme by Mr. Martin Landmann - a frequent poster at AVSIM Library - from his file "fsp_a319_azalpack.zip" with slight changes here and there (like filenames or folder names included with the readme, etc.) Nonetheless, only MY upload was rejected :( Although not a frequent uploader, I do often download from AVSIM and, believe me, I have seen dozens of files with very simple readmes...2) As regards my very first uploads and the associated "Author Name Convention" issue (see above), I have seen lots of different uploads which prove inexpedience of Admin's explanation. For example, almost all packages from World of AI Team state the name of the team in the Author's Name section of the upload instead of individual names.3) Nowhere in the Upload Instructions I can see a statement that uploaded file MUST NOT contain "dot" in the filename.For those interested, I uploaded one of my uploaded files (from today's attempt) untouched to MediaFire to check for inconsistencies.May I kindly ask you to explain in layman terms what I do wrong and when I will be able to successfully upload my files?!?Thank you very much for understanding!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hello from the Avsim Library:I fail to see how there can be thousands of uploads processed in a week with no problem and yet you have multiple problems. There are thousands of authors who upload regularly with no trouble. We even have first timers who have little or no trouble. I suggest you read the upload instruction page again carefully. We volunteers have a set of guideines to follow which keeps the Avsim Library consistant and easy to use. If you can't stay within the guidelines then I suggest you go somewhere else where you can do what you want when you want. You may even have the opportunity to fork out some money for a membership elsewhere. Rick CaseAvsim Library Deputy Director.

Hi there,Please who reads this post, and especially the AVSIM Library Admins, do NOT get it as an attempt to underestimate your efforts and skills, or an attempt to prove my rightness. I simply want to understand the reason why my uploads are rejected the fourth time in a row - since the 15th of March until today. Also, all names of persons and organisations in this post are mentioned ONLY to help with explanation of my problem and DO NOT imply any claims or pretenses to original authors.As I said, my first upload was on the 15th of March when I tried to upload 2 (two) complete AI packages into the FS2004 AI Aircraft section (unfortunately, I have deleted those uploaded files and, therefore, cannot show the file names here). These packages were 1) ABC Air Hungary Complete AI package; and 2) Ada Air Albania Complete AI package. Some time after numerous attempts, I received an email from Mr. Gary Buska explaining why my upload didn't pass the "screening" process. As I was explained, the reasons were: 1) the included file contained "." (dot) in the ZIP archive's name; 2) the Author's name was not written properly (I put the name of my project instead of my own name).Later on today, I tried to upload two completely different packages - AI texture sets. This time I received an email from Mr. Rick Case stating exactly the following "Your uploaded zip archive must contain a '.txt' (plain text) file IN ENGLISH, containing easy to understand installation instructions, your full name (no alias names allowed), and your email address and/or a link to your active support forum in order to provide technical support to all who download your file, plus any other important information. Additional readme.txt files in other languages may be included."Although I deleted my first two uploads - being sure that the problem would not be recurrent and I would succeed in my endeavor - I have not deleted the recently uploaded files. Having received an email from Mr. Case, I have decided to re-check with Upload Instructions and was surprised to see a contradiction between that email and my understanding of upload rules. This contradiction stems from a number of facts:1) Obviously, I DID include an English plain-text readme file with detailed installation instruction into my upload as opposed to what is written in Mr. Case's email. You can see this readme in the file linked below. The funny thing is that my readme was based on original readme by Mr. Martin Landmann - a frequent poster at AVSIM Library - from his file "fsp_a319_azalpack.zip" with slight changes here and there (like filenames or folder names included with the readme, etc.) Nonetheless, only MY upload was rejected :( Although not a frequent uploader, I do often download from AVSIM and, believe me, I have seen dozens of files with very simple readmes...2) As regards my very first uploads and the associated "Author Name Convention" issue (see above), I have seen lots of different uploads which prove inexpedience of Admin's explanation. For example, almost all packages from World of AI Team state the name of the team in the Author's Name section of the upload instead of individual names.3) Nowhere in the Upload Instructions I can see a statement that uploaded file MUST NOT contain "dot" in the filename.For those interested, I uploaded one of my uploaded files (from today's attempt) untouched to MediaFire to check for inconsistencies.May I kindly ask you to explain in layman terms what I do wrong and when I will be able to successfully upload my files?!?Thank you very much for understanding!

Hello from the Avsim Library:I fail to see how there can be thousands of uploads processed in a week with no problem and yet you have multiple problems. There are thousands of authors who upload regularly with no trouble. We even have first timers who have little or no trouble. I suggest you read the upload instruction page again carefully. We volunteers have a set of guideines to follow which keeps the Avsim Library consistant and easy to use. If you can't stay within the guidelines then I suggest you go somewhere else where you can do what you want when you want. You may even have the opportunity to fork out some money for a membership elsewhere. Rick CaseAvsim Library Deputy Director.
Thank you for your answer, Rick!However, there is a problem again - sorry to mention that. You either do NOT understand the problem or simply IGNORE it. As I mentioned in the very first lines of my previous post, it shouldn't be considered as a personal offense or something similar. Yet you guide me to other communities and even suggest paying for the membership. Not professional... Instead of answering me in a more detailed fashion you just send me out... :( I wonder if you read my post carefully (I know it was long enough) :) ?Again, could you please answer my simple question posted in my previous post and be more specific?!? Thank you!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hello again:Perhaps my reply seemed a bit harsh. Complaints are never ignored. We volunteer our personal time to this activity and some of us become defensive when receiving complaints. In answer to your questions.....I do not know how to make the instructions more layman term. These instructions may at some future time be re-written but it will be difficult to get the required information any shorter in format. We zipdive each file and if the readme file does not open then we know it is not plain text as required. File names are to be in the conventional Microsoft format and zipped and therefore should only have one dot i.e. filename.ZIP. Your real name is required for support unless you are a freeware developer in which case the firm name can be accepted.These requirements are to help the end users (members) feel secure in downloading and for ease of use when searching.Hope this helpsRick Case

Thank you for your answer, Rick!However, there is a problem again - sorry to mention that. You either do NOT understand the problem or simply IGNORE it. As I mentioned in the very first lines of my previous post, it shouldn't be considered as a personal offense or something similar. Yet you guide me to other communities and even suggest paying for the membership. Not professional... Instead of answering me in a more detailed fashion you just send me out... :( I wonder if you read my post carefully (I know it was long enough) :) ?Again, could you please answer my simple question posted in my previous post and be more specific?!? Thank you!

Thank you very much, Rick! Appreciate it indeed! :)I want to underline again that your efforts and skills are always considered! I do understand that you spend your volunteer time to support us, the users. Upon your recommendations, I will try to dive into the upload routine once again.Thank you very much!!!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

I want to underline again that your efforts and skills are always considered! I do understand that you spend your volunteer time to support us, the users. Upon your recommendations, I will try to dive into the upload routine once again.
I think what most people don't realize and the reason that our staff often cite that they are volunteers, is that frustration starts to develop when, as in your case, you attempted five times to upload a file that did not meet our requirements. The simple inclusion of a *.txt file that describes your upload and provides the user with your name and a method to contact you are not a lot to ask. A file naming convention in ALL libraries is a simple requisite as well. A file with multiple "."'s or "_"'s can really mess up a library system and cause problems in the future. We have been doing this for over 12 years now, and have learned a considerable number of lessons on how to manage the library while keeping our users happy, and protecting them at the same time. We appreciate all contributions of add-on's to the larger community via our libraries, but simple rules are there for everyone's benefit. All we ask is that you abide by them and not to make more work for those who are giving their spare time to make the library a good thing for all.