Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alias

"Stabilizer Motion" warning

Guest Alias

Hi,since the first day the MD11 came out I have tried to move the stabilizer as fast and violently as I could to hear that sound but nothing...I wonder what should I do to have the pleasure to listen to it at least once. I think in real life you hear it more often (at least by judging from the footages found on Youtube and similar).Cheers

You will hear it for what seems like every 5-10 sec if your following an aircraft on final and you have the wake turbulence option enabled in Active Sky. I also heard it the other day when I disconnected the A/P and was adjusting the stabilzer manually. I don't know why that didn't work for you, because it didn't even move all that much. Dave S

The horizontal stabilizer position is provided to the automatic flight control system software where it is passed through a second order Chebychev motion filter to provide horizontal stabilizer rate. A threshold and hysteresis function detects when the motion exceeds 0.08

And if what Turbo_prop said is confusing.....The warnings sound after each continuous movement of more than 2 degrees stabilizertravel at a rate greater than 0.08 degrees per second for manual trim and aftercontinuous movement of more than 2 degrees stabilizer when in the automaticpitch trim mode.I have heard it a number of times. You have to be slower than probably 200kts where the stab trim rate will increase. Also its best to use the keyboard assignments for the stab trim to get it to move that fast as the recommended "repeat" rate for the joystick assignment is too slow

Guest Alias
I have heard it a number of times. You have to be slower than probably 200kts where the stab trim rate will increase. Also its best to use the keyboard assignments for the stab trim to get it to move that fast as the recommended "repeat" rate for the joystick assignment is too slow
GOT IT!!! :( for the first time ever I have heard it. I was at 160 Kts. and trimming heavily, but I could reproduce it twice...let's go booze :(