Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Adobe Air and Air files irritation.

Hello I recently downloaded the latest version of Adobe PDF viewer.When i open any aircraft folder the Air file has been turned into an Adobe installer program for there Air thingy which comes with there latest version.I don't know what Adobe air is but all I want is the ability to read PDFs as and when required, I don't really need any flashy flunkiness type things.This a niggle as a opposed to a real problem as it doesn't seem to affect FS9 running. Is there anywhere i can get earlier versions of Adobe reader or perhaps some other(freeware of course :( )PDF reader?Can I somehow reinstate my air files so they look like Notepad files.WHOOPS! there not Notepad files.Anyway you know what I mean.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Have just uninstalled Adobe Air which returns my air files to there normal appearance.Weather acrobat still works without there AIR thing i will have to see.cheers Andy

Have just uninstalled Adobe Air which returns my air files to there normal appearance.Weather acrobat still works without there AIR thing i will have to see.cheers Andy
Try Foxit - Much smaller and is free!!http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/P.S. You can safely uninstall the Adobe AI program without worry about the Adobe Acrobat program working.Hope this helps.

Glad yoyu've got it sorted, in case you were curious:Air is Adobe's 'Adobe Integrated Runtime' environment, hence the acronym, which is a cross-platform application intended to allow people to create web pages and the like which can be viewed on a variety of operating systems, so it is similar in concept to the PDF format in that flexible sense. The icons changing on your computer is merely the system defaulting to that icon in thinking that is the application you want to open the files with, which, as you've discovered, happens when you install a new Adobe product, such as (in your case) the latest Acrobat Reader; it's a legacy of the Adobe Creative Suite thinking, in that they imagine you'll want to do everything with Adobe applications! The icons changing is sort of similar to when you install perhaps Quicktime and it asks you if you want it to be the default application to open up WAV files or whatever.It makes no change to a file, instead merely telling your operating system to tag it with the appropriate parent application icon which it thinks you want to use to run it, and you can change it back to whatever you like by right clicking on it and selecting 'choose program' which will restore things as they were, providing you pick the program it was orignally tagged for.This is basically Adobe thinking they are being helpful to people who use Adobe Bridge (their Creative Suite browser application).Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hello Chock..Thanks for the information regarding Adobe.David As usual thanks for your help.I will try Foxit.Cheers Andy
Yeah... right click/open with... allows you to set which app is responsible for opening the file as Chock mentioned. You might find this useful for manual edits of other FS style files such as PLN and RTE files as well.

Yeah... right click/open with... allows you to set which app is responsible for opening the file as Chock mentioned. You might find this useful for manual edits of other FS style files such as PLN and RTE files as well.
Hello I did know about the right click open option,but in this case it wouldn't work.Anyway all sorted now.cheers Andy

I use Foxit. For most of all your needs it works excellent. I find Adobe to be bloatware for the most part.JimCYWG

Guest Tingoose

Nothing to worry about. I have the Adobe Creative suite installed which includes several Adobe programs, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc etc and the associated rainbow coloured icons turn up everywhere including FS. No problems though, as the poster above says. It's just an icon really and won't affect the running of FS. I concur with others that Foxit is a lean program that opens quickly without all the extra baggage that Adobe Reader has. Nice little application.

This has come up a lot, try using the search engine next time. The easiest solution is the deletion of two registry keys. This will allow you to keep using the Adobe Reader application, but without the air file association.Start > Run > regedt32. Then delete the following two keys:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.airHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AIR.InstallerPackageAfter that close the registry editor and reboot just to be sure the association is gone. Then restore the old association, if there was any.Do not edit the registry if you're not completely comfortable doing so!!!

Mike...

This has come up a lot, try using the search engine next time. The easiest solution is the deletion of two registry keys. This will allow you to keep using the Adobe Reader application, but without the air file association.Start > Run > regedt32. Then delete the following two keys:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.airHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AIR.InstallerPackageAfter that close the registry editor and reboot just to be sure the association is gone. Then restore the old association, if there was any.Do not edit the registry if you're not completely comfortable doing so!!!
Would it not be much simpler (and safer) to simply click on My Computer, then on Tools, then on Folder Options, then on File Types and change the association there?I keep my .air files associated with the AirEd program so all I need do is click on an .air file and it automatically opens in the AirEd program.Messing about in the registry is not for the fainthearted for sure.

I have found the File Type Changer to be unreliable, so I don't use it much. I suppose it's worth a try, but even with that tool, you may have to reboot.

Mike...

I have found the File Type Changer to be unreliable, so I don't use it much. I suppose it's worth a try, but even with that tool, you may have to reboot.
Just for the record, I have never had a problem changing file associations with the File Type Changer in XP.As far as AirEd is concerned, it really is a moot point as AirEd has an option on it's menu to automatically associate it with .air files. No work whatsoever on the users part.Bottom line is that the Adobe Air program does not do anything to FS2004 .air files other than falsely report that they are corrupt.