Sign in to follow this  
mvwissen

FSX freeze when using the FMC

Absolutely agree Mark, works fine without Initialising the Init page. Doing it sfter freezes when pressing Insert at the vord22 / ponu2m entry.After INIT though - Just the vord22 seems to freeze it, I can select vfr22 ok and all the others, just not that one.(p.s the G595 should end at SABUB then dct PONUI)Curious to see how this turns out....John Ellison

Absolutely agree Mark, works fine without Initialising the Init page. Doing it sfter freezes when pressing Insert at the vord22 / ponu2m entry.After INIT though - Just the vord22 seems to freeze it, I can select vfr22 ok and all the others, just not that one.(p.s the G595 should end at SABUB then dct PONUI)Curious to see how this turns out....John Ellison
John, I can load the fpln with or without finishing the INIT page and I do not have a problem, even with VORD22... are you selecting the arrival by LAT REV from PONUI?

Dan Downs KCRP

Yep Dan, all I'm getting at, same as Mike is if you do the Init page setup, put in the route and then select PONUI - lat rev - star ils04 - star ponui - insert all is ok.If you then change it.. PONUI - lat rev - star VORD22 - ponui - insert... fsx freezes solid.Any other selection works ok, just not the vord22.Route I have is YMML DOSEL7 DOSEL Y59 SY G595 SABUB PONUI PONUI2V NTAA to put in the fms. Being RW34 to RW04 originally.John Ellison

Yep Dan, all I'm getting at, same as Mike is if you do the Init page setup, put in the route and then select PONUI - lat rev - star ils04 - star ponui - insert all is ok.If you then change it.. PONUI - lat rev - star VORD22 - ponui - insert... fsx freezes solid.Any other selection works ok, just not the vord22.Route I have is YMML DOSEL7 DOSEL Y59 SY G595 SABUB PONUI PONUI2V NTAA to put in the fms. Being RW34 to RW04 originally.John Ellison
Just curious what AIRAC cycle are you using. I had an FMC freeze then FSX crash when trying to imput a SID with AIRAC 0903. Flight plan created using FSCommander. Changed back to 0902 and all seems OK. Maybe problems with 0903 database?

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

I can't reproduce your problem. Same route, same LAT REV entry point, using PONU2M instead of PONUI2V. The other choice is PONU2V for Rwy 4 (not PONUI2V).If you open the sidstar file, the stars are very simple routes: STAR PONU2M FIX PONUI FIX OVINI FIX TAF FIX MOANA RNW 22 STAR PONU2V FIX PONUI FIX OVINI RNW 04 I don't know why you are getting a freeze.

Dan Downs KCRP

Just curious what AIRAC cycle are you using. I had an FMC freeze then FSX crash when trying to imput a SID with AIRAC 0903. Flight plan created using FSCommander. Changed back to 0902 and all seems OK. Maybe problems with 0903 database?
Airac 0903 but the NTAA one hasn't changed in years, I did compare it to earlier ones I had. I know it is an issue sometimes :( I usually build a route using FSBuild (auto if in a hurry lol) usually properly... not always correct but looks fine lol.Besides, select vfr22 and it's fine, just this vord22 that freezes fsx IF the init page is filled out.John Ellison

Dan,I just did the following. Started a new situation from scratch in YMML using the default PMDG MD-11. Than opened the FMC and started a new route by entereing YMML/NTAA in the FROM/TO field, thus NOT by loading a prebuilt route by FSBuild. I completed the INIT page by executing the following steps:1. CWC168 in the FLT NO field2. 310 in the CRZ field3. NCRG in the ALTN field4. 80 in the CI fieldThan I switched to the F-PLN page and selected YMML to program the DOSEL7 departure on rwy34. All worked fine so far. After that, I selected NTAA to program the PONU2M STAR for the VORD22 approach. Upon pressing the insert button, BANG. FSX froze again! So this time, no route entered at all.Now, here comes the big question! When I do the same, without completeing the INIT page (omitting step 1 to 4), than everything works fine!!! Now the question to you? Did you complete the INIT page or not? If not, than this would explain why it worked on your side.It really seems to me that this entire behaviour is somehow linked to the INIT mechanism, as I already described in my initial posting.Kind regards,Mark

Mark van Wissen

I can't reproduce your problem. Same route, same LAT REV entry point, using PONU2M instead of PONUI2V. The other choice is PONU2V for Rwy 4 (not PONUI2V).If you open the sidstar file, the stars are very simple routes: STAR PONU2M FIX PONUI FIX OVINI FIX TAF FIX MOANA RNW 22 STAR PONU2V FIX PONUI FIX OVINI RNW 04 I don't know why you are getting a freeze.
Hi DanFirst of all FS crashes only if I've entered data to the 3 init pages first and then select the arrival later!!!The STAR seems not to be the problem. If I only select the VORD22 arr (no STAR selected) and press insert the FS freezes also!ThxBruno

Hope pics explain better than me Dan and yes PONU lol Select.... FREEZE!!!Hope this explains more clearly DanJohn Ellison

Humble apologies to Mark for calling him MIke Getting senile in my old age lolSorry MarkGRRRRR not Select either INSERT... FREEZE!!!! (need sleep)John Ellison

Hi Dan again,Bruno and I did some more research in the meantime, this time trying to eliminate as many steps as possible to reproduce the error. Here are the steps performed to have FSX frozen.1. Started a new situation from scratch again using default PMDG MD-11 in YMML on rwy 34.2. Opened up the FMC and switched to the INIT page.3. Entered YMML/NTAA in the FROM/TO field.4. Returned to F-PLN INIT by pressing LSK6R (thus NOT by selecting the offered YMMLNTAA.RTE prebuilt flight plan).5. Entered 310 in the CRZ field and 80 in the CI field.6. Switched to the F-PLN page.7. Selected NTAA to programm the approach.8. Selected the VORD22 on the STAR page.9. Entered 560 in the MIN PROF field.10. Pressed the LSK6L to have the approach inserted. FSX froze again though!!!Now, when omitting step 5, everything works. You can even enter either the CRZ level or the CI and it still works (just not both values). We observed also that the virtual waypoints 'T/C' and 'T/D' only appear if you enter both fields as described in step 5. But I am sure, you already knew that. I just wanted to point this out. Maybe it has an influence.Mark

Mark van Wissen

Humble apologies to Mark for calling him MIke Getting senile in my old age lolSorry MarkGRRRRR not Select either INSERT... FREEZE!!!! (need sleep)John Ellison
No worries, John. I already figured out that you meant me when calling me Mike ;-). I have been called a lot of other names in my life, just not Mike up until now ;-).Mark
Hi Dan again,Bruno and I did some more research in the meantime, this time trying to eliminate as many steps as possible to reproduce the error. Here are the steps performed to have FSX frozen.1. Started a new situation from scratch again using default PMDG MD-11 in YMML on rwy 34.2. Opened up the FMC and switched to the INIT page.3. Entered YMML/NTAA in the FROM/TO field.4. Returned to F-PLN INIT by pressing LSK6R (thus NOT by selecting the offered YMMLNTAA.RTE prebuilt flight plan).5. Entered 310 in the CRZ field and 80 in the CI field.6. Switched to the F-PLN page.7. Selected NTAA to programm the approach.8. Selected the VORD22 on the STAR page.9. Entered 560 in the MIN PROF field.10. Pressed the LSK6L to have the approach inserted. FSX froze again though!!!Now, when omitting step 5, everything works. You can even enter either the CRZ level or the CI and it still works (just not both values). We observed also that the virtual waypoints 'T/C' and 'T/D' only appear if you enter both fields as described in step 5. But I am sure, you already knew that. I just wanted to point this out. Maybe it has an influence.Mark
And again some more information. If you omit step 5 or enter the values partially (either CRZ or CI), inserting the VORD22 will work as mentioned before. As soon as you provide those missing values, after having inserted VORD22, FSX freezes upon entering the CRZ and/or CI values. Very interesting.

Mark van Wissen

Even odder Mark fs9 does not freeze at all, does the whole lot ok.... Just FSX then it seems!!!John Ellison

Hi DanHave you been able to reproduce Mark's step by step procedure? Exactly the same behavior on my system!!!Thx for helpBruno

Won't be back home for several hours. I will give her a try then; however, if you are trying to select an arrival or approach you cannot do this from the destination (NTAA), but go to any fix (the last fix of the route when it is the same as the first fix in the arrival is the best choice) and go to LAT REV from there.In this case, you should be entering LAT REV from PONUI (not NTAA).Think of the LAT REV operation as a select and paste method. From PONUI you go to LAT REV then STARS and whatever you select gets pasted to the flight plan string FROM the lateral revison point forward. This is why you must select a fix before the terminus; otherwise, you are attempting to paste a route segment after end of route.If the freeze is preventing you from recoverying by any method, such as selecting INIT page and reseting the route string by re-entering YMML/NTAA (this resets the route) then I'll ask if we can't get that fixed.Meanwhile, select the correct point for the arrival selection. The trick is even if the route is direct YMML/NTAA and you want to select an arrival or approach, you need to put at least one fix in the route and use that fix to get to LAT REV.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP