Sign in to follow this  
Guest metamarty

What I wish they would include in FS2004/FS9

Guest ssurjap

I know this won't happen, but I think that MS should integrate background downloading/updates for FS9/FS2004, simply because they may have changes all the time to sceneries.They can do it with Windows XP, I think it would be cool to include that with FS9.What do you think?Steve

Steve,I can see where you are coming from with your request but even if MS did that I don't think this would be a very good idea. The reason why I am saying is this:It would literally make it impossible for add-on developers to create new add-ons independently of MS because there would not be one fixed version of the software being installed on users computers. Now with that in mind imagine somebody creates an add-on which becomes unusuable by a "behind the scene" download from MS where the user is not even aware anymore that he did download it.Naturally the user is then going to be "unhappy" about the add-on, although it's not really the add-on developers fault.Get my drift? I hope so.Happy flyingRalph HummelStaff ReviewerAVSIM Online

Guest gfk777

I think it's a terrible idea.I have the automatic update service disabled on all three of my XP systems simply because unsupervised OS tweaks can have undesireable consequences. If you have Windows Media Player 9 you'll find there is no way to turn off auto update. The EULA allows Microsoft to update WMP whenever they choose (this is all about DRM or controlling what WMP will play). I tell my firewall to never allow WMP to access the internet; it's possible that someday it may just quit working.With Flight Simulator auto updates could be a disaster. Given the number of 3rd party add ons and the way they interact with FS, the effects of auto updates would be unpredictable. I imagine I'd be pretty annoyed if MS replaced my expensive add on hi-res terrain mesh because they updated the default mesh (this might even be unintentional). I'd like to control any updates with a plan for reverting if necessary.

Steve - Personally, there is NO WAY I would want this - Microsoft already makes enough wholly incorrect assumptions about the way I want to use my computer and software.Cheers,Andrew>I know this won't happen, but I think that MS should>integrate background downloading/updates for FS9/FS2004,>simply because they may have changes all the time to>sceneries.>>They can do it with Windows XP, I think it would be cool to>include that with FS9.>>What do you think?>>Steve

Megadittos. No way thanks!Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest metamarty

I had come up with an idea like this some time ago. I think this would be excellent if it was implemented like this:You would have several "scenery channels". These are libraries maintained by one or more persons. They would be called something like "europe basic scenery extentions" or "chicago area high detail". The channel maintainer evaluates and selects scenery and updates the main library. The FS user would select the scenery channels he likes in the way it is done now in FS2002, with scenery layers that overrule lower layers. Now and then, the client software checks the scenery channels for updates and downloads new stuff. I think this idea would even be implementable without the use of FS; as an external program. Any ideas?

Sounds like a great idea. I'll do it if you pay me - I'm not getting any money from the sale of FS like MS is. Let's see, about $100 per year per subscriber should do it... :)--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest metamarty

Where's the pride? Have you ever been offered a job in which you can say "Hey, I control what Europe looks like". People have dreamed of this for centuries!